Linux PC....OS X?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by The prez 12521, Feb 21, 2010.

1. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Ok, i have this old PC, but my dad and i made it into a linux computer. MY question is now, can i use hackintosh? Its an old computer (4 years) but it just was outdated.

Thanks in advance! some tutorials and links will be great :D

2. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    After looking, theres ways but there hard. ill try tomorrow for fun, but for now, ill stick to WiSDK and others of the sort :p

3. tonyunreal

tonyunreal Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2009
    #3 tonyunreal, Feb 21, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    What would you guys use it for? Even in the very slight chance you can get all the hardware drivers working in the hackintosh system, it still won't be significantly better at anything than linux on a bunch of outdated hardware.

If you want to use it as a router, or to learn *nix, surf the web etc. then a linux distro like Ubuntu beats hackintosh hands down, sure the gui would be a bit slower but everything else would be highly usable, and hardware drivers are much easier to find.

Edit: After looking again at the board name I would assume you wanted to use it as a developing machine for the iPhone platform, it may or may not work for you.

Out of the 6 distros I downloaded, 3 worked in a vmware virtual machine on my laptop, and only 1 out of those 3 was successfully installed in a real environment, but it was unusable because the lack of supported drivers. I had a friend who managed to get a 10.6.2 distro working in his vmware virtual machine but not on his real computer, he installed the iphone sdk on it and he began his learning of iphone development while I was still waiting for my iMac to arrive.

4. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    4 years old? I guess it's gonna be real slow, especially without enough RAM.

Get a Mac ;)

5. The prez 12521

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    Thanks guys :p
    you are right, I want to play around with the SDK on a mac so yeah. Buy I can't currently buy one. I have like 6 other computers so I don't care if this hackintosh doesn't even have a recycling bin!

So, no Linux and no mac. I just need help getting OSx86

6. micah

micah Well-Known Member

Aug 24, 2009
    game developer
    San Francisco
    Here's a database of osx86 compatible hardware: http://www.insanelymac.com/osx86db/

It might be hard to identify all the hardware in a computer you have though. But maybe it could help. I believe that site is also the definitive place to get help setting up hackintoshes.