Yayy finally a review for Mine Blast :)

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by shaneguay, Jan 30, 2010.

1. shaneguay

shaneguay Active Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Review of Mine Blast posted:
    http://smartphonetechzone.com/mine-blast-on-the-iphone-is-a-real-gem-of-a-game/

Ok, shameless plug is over with :), I do have a serious question from other developers or those that deal with the marketing process for other iphone/itouch games?

When you submit your apps/games for review at each of the different sites, how many actually get a review performed by chance? I've noticed that more than half the sites seem to ask me to pay for banner advertising on their site 'to guarantee' a review. Something just seems odd with this as I have also noticed a large percentage of 'reviewed games' also happen to have banner advertising of "said reviewed game".

So my question is, how often have other peoples app/games been reviewed (that are not AAA games) and did not pay an additional 'advertising' fee?

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Don't pay for advertising to get your game reviewed. Ever.

I think Flickitty has less than a dozen reviews, and I probably got about a 35% response from all the sites that I contacted. Some developers will see more of a response, most will see less.

in order to get an adequate response, you need to make it personal and have something really special to show off (not my words, the words from a fairly prominent site).

Do not send 'Gift Cards' to a reviewer who requests them for 'promotional purposes'. These are scams, and the people are not associated with the site that they claim.

Do not send Promo Codes blindly, wait until you get a response. A reviewer will tell you if they have time in their schedule (most times, they don't have time).

I don't even know why I am stating all this. A lot of it is common sense. However, common sense seems to go out the door when a developer is ignored for a long time, and then all of a sudden they are promised a review for just $35. Don't give in, unless you happen to have money pouring out your ass.

I don't.

3. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    ...and ignore that guy sending emails claiming to be Arn.

4. Bae

Bae New Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Another one!

My review for Mine Blast will be hitting www.theportablegamer.com very soon.
    Just wanted to let you know.

Have a great day.

Bae:eek:

5. egarayblas

egarayblas Well-Known Member

Same here. My "response to review ratio" (RRR--cool!) is also round 1:3. My advice would be to start with the "small fishes" (game bloggers, small iphone/ipod websites, low profile game reviewers, etc.) and work your way up. The huge review sites will not review your app anymore unless its a high profile title.

@Bae: Would you mind reviewing our apps too? :)