One Single Life-A Game In Which Once You Die Once,U Can No Longer Play The Main Game

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Toad In The Hole, Mar 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toad In The Hole

Toad In The Hole Well-Known Member

Dec 16, 2009
    **** All
    In A Hole
    “Yes. We expect hate mail.”

This direct quote from Fresh Tone Games is going to prove true once all those people who don’t read descriptions in the app store play One Single Life.

Nothing like this has ever been done. Period.

You play as a shadowy man who apparently likes to jump from roof top to roof top. The goal of the game is to complete 10 levels (this number is subject to change) by jumping from one rooftop to the other. You tap the screen once and your character begins to run. Then you tap the screen again when you want to jump. The catch is, you literally have one life. Hear me well: you buy the game, and once you die, you can no longer play the main game. Once you’re dead, you’re done. When the game was placed in my hands, and I was told that the game ended when I died, and the first thing I said was, “Wait, I literally have one life?” Yep.

Each level allows the player to die as many times as they want in practice mode, but once they play the level for real, you either reach the other side or you don’t. Just thinking about falling made my hands start to get sweaty. Here is a game I can only play until I fail. What’s even more nerve racking is the fact that the game tells you the percentages of those who have/will die on each level. 12% die on level 1, 22% on level 2, and so forth. I died on the the 6th level, on which 66% of players lose. You do get to play bonus levels throughout the credits, but that’s it. Once you’ve died, the only levels you can play are the ones within the credits. As far as I know, you can replay the credit levels. However, I know for a fact that once you have died in the main game, you can no longer play the main levels without purchasing the game with another account.

You may ask, “Who would pay for a game you can only play once?” But that’s just it. The lure of playing and possibly beating a game in which you can’t replay is what attracts those thrill seeking gamers. People enjoy a challenge because they love the thrill that comes from defeating a challenge. But this game is more than a challenge; it’s intimidating. The nervousness that comes from taking that first jump is enough to get you blood pumping and your hands sweaty. At first, I thought this game was going to be a piece of cake. Jumping from building A to building B can’t be that hard, can it? I think the demise of most people who will play this game is that they think it is too simple. They will go for it and lose. Or, if they are like me, the will psych themselves out half way through and then die.

The moral of the story is this: read the description in the App store before you buy something. Check out the game for yourself in the attached video. Good luck and happy jumping.Source:

2. swiftest

swiftest Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Unless they use some server-side gimmick, I think you should be able to uninstall and then reinstall the game. Uninstalling should get rid of any data that says you've died.

Interesting concept though. It's like hardcore mode in Diablo.

3. THE_BOSS

THE_BOSS Well-Known Member

Aug 1, 2010
    england
    Buying the game again is a dumb idea. Period.

4. nesio718

nesio718 Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2010
    getting paid....
    Sunny South FL!!
    It has enough style to warrant a purchase but not enough content. apple wont allow that kind of restriction anyway....

5. invulse

invulse Well-Known Member

Honestly if you are really limiting people to only playing one time until they die and thats it...your ripping unsuspecting consumers off. I know you say the moral of the story is to read the description, but the hard truth is that people don't read descriptions thoroughly before purchasing an app. They look at screenshots, the icon and maybe read a paragraph of the description before they purchase.

I understand that you are trying something new, but you should be less harsh with how the game plays. Maybe limit them to one death per day. What if someone is playing on their iphone, receives a phone call right before the jump, and when the game resumes, they fall to their death and can never play again. Thats just terrible...

6. shyguy3

shyguy3 Well-Known Member

Sep 18, 2010
    Are you people serious?!?! Who's the genius that came up with this lame idea.:rolleyes:

7. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I'm sorry, but this is the most idiotic, gimmicky thing I've ever heard.

8. SkyMuffin

SkyMuffin Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    college student, ENG/WGS major
    Lexington, KY
    Enjoy your one star ratings, followed by Apple pulling your app because of complaints.

9. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

There's a reason this has never been done done before. It's the dumbest idea ever.

10. Dazarath

Dazarath Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2010
    And this is why "original" does not always equate to "good". Instead of a game that incentivizes the player to hit the reset button a lot, this one uses iTunes' backup/restore feature as a prominent game mechanic. Even if they require an online connection and store UDIDs, people with JB'd devices can fake those. Not that this game would be worth that much trouble, though.

11. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    #11 JoeyLP, Mar 4, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
    I like the look of the game.....
    I think this idea can only work if you have a way for players to be able to play again. If not, move aside.

12. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    looks like a good game...
    but that is a shit concept which is going to be the reason that the game will NOT climb the charts. seriously its a terrible idea i would change your concept before you put it on the store if your serious about it. Make it so you have to start all you progress again MAX but i still wouldn't buy it if that was the case......

13. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Looks like I'm the only thrill seeking gamer here. :D Call me crazy but I'll actually be buying the game. Its genious IMO.

14. JoeyLP

JoeyLP Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    australia
    #14 JoeyLP, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011
    The replay value is 0. You run, you die, end of game forever.....
    The idea is quite good, but only have one life in the whole game is bad.

15. anualisher

anualisher Well-Known Member

Mar 2, 2011
    IT
    Indeed

16. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    Roi

If you are going to take something away for 'failing' then there needs to be a reward to 'succeeding' - simple.

17. Stan

Stan Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2010
    USA
    To those saying this is 'original' it is not really.
    There are games like 'one chance' or 'you only live once'.
    Just pointing it out :)

18. n8equalsd

n8equalsd Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2010
    Day one buy. This sounds awesome.

19. ScottColbert

ScottColbert Well-Known Member

P.T. Barnum was right :p

20. crex

crex Doctor of Game of the Week-ology

Oct 18, 2010
    Everywhere and Nowhere
    Like I said, its my opinion. Maybe I'm the only one brave enough to do it. Its only 99c (hopefully) so who cares.