Using App Gifting for Promotion

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by nattylux, Mar 29, 2010.

1. nattylux

nattylux Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    #1 nattylux, Mar 29, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
    Hey guys,

We recently did a big promotion were we gifted 1,000 copies of Harbor Master. There was lots of interest from other devs on how that would pan out, so we summarized our experience here.

In a nutshell:

- Gifting does NOT affect rank.
    - Giving that many gifts is definitely a time investment.
    - It's a good way to create attention around your game for promotion.
    - It's nice to have an alternative distribution method other than 50 promo codes.
    - It got us a lot of good will from the player community.

2. NickFalk

NickFalk Well-Known Member

Thanks for sharing! :)

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

and it also get you more fans and potential future buyers :)

4. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Very true! That's a huge one. It's in the blog entry, but I added it to the summary as well.

5. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

yeah, i actually read the blog post and see that now. for some reason, i'm always interested in these kind of evaluations, and i have no reason why!

6. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    Thanks for the feedback! That was a really useful & interesting experiment & hopefully you still get your 70% back (?). Regardless of whether that's the case or not, I would think it's money well-spent and well-targeted to have connected with so many customers who'll hopefully go on to be big Imangi fans. :)

7. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    Thanks! Never even considered that we wouldn't get our 70% back. I'm sure it just counts like a regular purchase as far as royalties are concerned.

Yes, we definitely think it's money well spent. We've flat out thrown money away on marketing before, so definitely happy about this spend.

8. HappyninGames

HappyninGames Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2010
    Developer
    Los Angeles
    Thanks for the feedback! I think it's really great that you were able to get so many signups for your newsletter, definitely a great tool for promoting your games.

9. Good to know, thanks for the assessment. At least shadier devs can't buy their way into a feature list, and it does provide an alternative to promo codes for the purposes of promotion, albeit a slow and slightly costly one depending on how many gifts you wanna give away.

10. VeganTnT

VeganTnT Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2008
    Freelance Entertainment Analyst
    Orlando, FL
    I have a question for you natty, was the account used to buy the gifted apps tied to a developer account?

I'm wondering if Apple is making sure devs can't game the system or if it's all gifting that is not ranked.

11. Pamx

Pamx Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    UK
    That's a very good question. It would seem a little weird if gifting customer-to-customer didn't affect the rankings.

12. nattylux

Sep 17, 2008
    Washington, DC
    The account used to buy the gifts was different from the developer account. I think they really do exclude ALL gifts from the ranking algorithm. Given how easy it is to create new iTunes accounts, filtering out dev accounts wouldn't help much.

And if you think about it, unless the devs are trying some kind of promotion, gifts would generally be a tiny percentage of total purchases, so simply excluding them is the easiest thing to do.

13. MrBlue

MrBlue Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    iPhone Developer
    Thanks for sharing your results. I guess the coming appocalypse is put off for a little while longer. :p