Pretty low Apple review strategy process.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by chickdigger802, Apr 3, 2010.

1. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    It seems all the new apps coming out for both iphone and iPad has the iPad version already approved but the iphone/ipod version still 'in review' even though the app is basically the same with slightly reworked UI...

Seems like a push for iPad time exclusivity that isn't in the app dev's control, unless I'm reading this wrong.

I may just be bitter that warpgate ain't out yet lol.

2. Sambo110

Sambo110 Well-Known Member

Nov 27, 2008
    Australia
    There are probably less iPad apps being sent in, and if they have different teams, it means they have less to do.

3. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Of course Apple is pushing out iPad games quicker, the launch is tomorrow. It sucks but oh well.

4. Mondae

Mondae Well-Known Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Perv, why do you care?
    Apple is already lowering the touch into the ground. 6 days for the minigore update. Digusting...

5. Ace_97

Ace_97 Well-Known Member

The iPad is bad for all of us iPhone/touch users.

6. txag2005

txag2005 Well-Known Member

Jan 24, 2010
    Honestly I think things will be back to normal after a little while. I'm sure all hands were on deck for the iPad launch, especially since Apple essentially promised tons of apps ready for download on launch day.

It is a little questionable though that games like Zenonia 2 and Vampire Origins got pretty quick approvals from what I hear, but Mirror's Edge, Warp Gate, and Pocket Legends, all new games with iPad verions are held up in approval. Hopefully it's just part of the launch madness and things will get back to normal soon.

7. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    Developers are going to be leaving a lot of money on the table if they abandon the iphone/iPod Touch market. Iphones are going nowhere (they continue to increase marketshare in the smartphone market) and iPod Touches is tied to the waist of the iPhone in terms of apps.

If the iPhone gets buried, it'll be because of Apple, and I doubt that would happen. Apple has the smartphone market, at least the home market, tied up and they would be stupid to lose that.

8. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Lol Minigore has a track record of updates being prolonged though ;)

9. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Apple will not abandon the iPhone and iPod Touch markets at least not for the foreseeable future. Frankly, the consumer base is too established and large for them to do that. The iPad will need time to build and establish a consumer base, and truth be told, it remains to be seen if the product will catch on once the current hype subsides. Also, the higher price point for iPad apps is a big question mark. Put simply, it's much easier to buy a $4.99 game than it is a $14.99 one for the average consumer.

10. txag2005

Jan 24, 2010
    It doesn't make sense for Apple to "abandon" the iPhone or iPod Touch for the iPad. They are hitting different markets. The iPod Touch is essentially the premium offering for a portable multimedia device/music player, the iPhone is the leader for the home smartphone market and iPad is sort of filling that gap between portable devices and full out computers (the tablet/netbook market maybe).

Why wouldn't Apple want to dominate all these markets?

11. chickdigger802

chickdigger802 Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Atlanta GA
    I know they aren't abandoning the iphone market, but they are trying to egg ppl to buy this ipad non sense with bs crap like the HD nonsense and the huge library of iphone ports. It's all just standard marketing procedure, doesn't mean I like it =/

Will probably pick up an iPad in a few years anyhow.

12. Scaramoosh

Scaramoosh Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2010
    Sick of hearing about this overhyped useless fail of a device. Can't wait till it all dies down but I fear the stupid will jump all over it.

13. freedog

freedog Well-Known Member

Mar 11, 2009
    There's definitely a hype going on right now with it, but its not a bad device or anything, not a fail. Its cool for what it is, but it will never take over the ipod/iphone for one main reason. Its not small enough to carry around in your pocket. Cool to play at the dinner table, sofa, or keep in your car, can't see it being taken anywhere else really. Its not like if someone's waiting in line somewhere they're gonna whip out their iPad and start messing around with it for 3 minutes here and there. The ipod/iphone can be with you at all times. Even if someone wanted to take the iPad with them people are gonna be looking at them like why would you wanna carry around something that big? Almost embarassing unless you're just bringing it over a friend's house or using it in your car.

14. zamansimba

zamansimba Well-Known Member

Oct 19, 2009
    the onset of sibling rivalry

us iphone/ipod users wanting to strangle the newborn bundle of joy called iPad

15. Tmonine

Tmonine Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Casual
    Australia
    Can't see why people are getting pissed at the ipad because they think it might affect the iPhone/iPod touch apps or success. As mentioned before they are completely different markets and if the worst that can happen is a game update is postponed a week that's nothing to get annoyed at there are several other things you could do instead.

16. aros2k

aros2k Well-Known Member

Jan 17, 2010
    It does suck games are coming out on ipad that are delayed for ipod though!

17. Coops58

Coops58 Well-Known Member

Dec 23, 2009
    I said don't look here!
    I really feel this will hurt the iphone/itouch for a short while, because devs are trying to put out as many games as possible for it, while leaving behind the iphone, at least for now. Soon though they will probably notice that the smaller market, bigger device, and higher prices really dont provide alot of customers.

18. zaqualieff

zaqualieff Active Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Unsure about why your app was not yet approved, mine went in okay and out to the iPhone and iPad without delay, they even fast tracked it to approved when I phoned the release team leader. Most kind of them indeed.

They had about 2000 ish applications submitted for the iPad's release on time but not nescessarily perfect so they probably have a LOT of backlog to sort out.
    I suspect they picked through them and went yes, umhum, yes...have that one...aaand ... that one...oookay theres our numbers, lets get those out and sort the rest afterwards...

Standard triage process when you have more than you can handle to deal with in a short space of time, I'm sure they will get your app out on the phone as soon as they can :)

As to the pad / phone / touch argument there are clear markets for all of the devices as everyone wants them for their own reasons. Some want a phone, others hate phones but want music and geeks like me will buy anything that looks cool (iPad) or rather...all of them.

There is a big market for all of them at the moment and although the iPad is cool and all that it's not exactly easy to fit in your pocket as a portable music player or indeed for those quick games while your trapped in a retarded meeting and want to look busy, iPhone / touch owns for that.

The pad will of course rule for family things, pick up and go is a good seller, no setup no hassle and even my grandmother who cant work out how to use the DVD player can use my iPad easily.

And for me it would be the god or strategy games peer to peer....pure...ownage....

This device to me would not be a replacement for any of my other devices, it would fill in the gap that the phone / touch cant cover which is where I want a bigger screen to play things on but do NOT want a laptop. Nice simple interface, also good to take to companies when I want to present things to them, easy on the pad and they will be impressed.

So for me, I like it :)