Universal The Fall Schematic - Beautiful Sci-Fi RPG

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by MattAnderson, Aug 23, 2014.

1. MattAnderson

MattAnderson New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Game Developer and Designer
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #1 MattAnderson, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
    Heya all,

I have been working enormously hard on an RPG for maybe a year and a half now, and it's about at the point where I really want to start showing it off and maybe getting some feedback. I would describe it as a blend of Persona with a little MTG, Pokemon, and some choose-your-own adventure elements thrown in. It's definitely my own special blend of spices and mechanics. The story takes place in a distant future where humans have abandoned their bodies, and everything is digital.

I posted about it before, but it was mostly art. It's much further along now. Over the next few weeks I'm going to try and hash out some of the design struggles I go through here while I highlight various features. Those are the interesting bits. I'm aiming to do a post every day or two.

What do you think of the below? Is your interest piqued?

Features:

• Dozens of characters (Subroutines) to use and do battle with, each with their own unique combo-able abilities and animations.
    • Utilize hacks (passive skills) from a diverse pool that tweak your Subroutines' skills or expand your narrative options.
    • Hundreds of items all illustrated. Equip your character with branded clothes to get style bonuses, and put patches on your Subroutines to enhance their abilities.
    • Dive into areas twisted by the mysterious Glitch as you restore and repopulate a corrupted universe.
    • Sweet science fiction narrative set in a culturally rich, fully digital world.
    • Engaging narrative decisions to be made at every turn.
    • Fully server operated for dynamic content updates and coming PvP / trading action.

Screenies:

[​IMG]

UPDATE 10-10 - MORE Screenies:

[​IMG]

2. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    #3 Nekku, Aug 23, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
    Okay, I am a little bit confused (which isn't a bad thing at all, heh). The screenshoots are looking like that there is a fantasy world which is pretty much standard in most games of this genre, but it is just a digitalized world and therefore not the "real" world where the actual character lives in...right? So, some kind of matrix I guess.
    If this is the case then I rly like the idea and you can count me as interested!
    I like cyberpunk...no, I love cyberpunk!

3. Grifman

Grifman Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2014
    Sci-fi? Did they change the meaning of the word?

4. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    In this fantasy world, science is fiction.

5. MattAnderson

MattAnderson New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    #6 MattAnderson, Aug 24, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
    You are totally right Nekku. This story takes place in a distant future when humans have abandoned their bodies, and exist only in a digital world. In that way, it's a lot like the matrix, and it has strong cyberpunk undertones.

The digital world is built from the imaginations of its inhabitants, and represents a strong mash-up of cultures and visual styles. Some areas and characters look fantasy driven, some very science fiction-esque and others take after modern urban aesthetics. Many elements are a blend of the above (for instance, one unit you will recruit is a walking, robotic bonsai tree shown in the bottom left screeny.)

Everything in this world, from the units to the people to the environments is all code -- susceptible to both corruption and glitches, which is the crux of the plot line.

If you know any computer science, you will catch programming references that explain how and why things work or break down.

Anyway, this story and world are very, very science fiction driven, even if the screenshots are not of spaceships and guns. :)

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    ^Woah. That makes a whole lotta sense, but that kinda throws away a possible curveball in the story... Kinda like revealing the sci-fi-ness of Infinity Blade or The Matrix right when the game or movie wasnt even released yet.

7. Nekku

Nekku Well-Known Member

May 31, 2013
    Sounds very promising! I'll keep track on this thread for sure.

8. Balders

Balders Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Wow, this sounds massively ambitious and definitely very interesting.:eek:

9. MattAnderson

MattAnderson New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Added six more screens up top. Please tell me what you think!

Going to go on the hunt for a publishing partner soon -- the game is shaping up wonderfully.

10. instruct9r

instruct9r Well-Known Member

Aug 22, 2014
    Character TD
    Bulgaria
    Graphics looks pretty great.. When is it coming out?

11. MattAnderson

MattAnderson New Member

Aug 23, 2014
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Thanks. :) We're hoping to be done near mid-December, but we are also looking for a publishing partner to help with launch, so that may change our plans if we find an arrangement we like.