iPhone Alunia - Episode 1

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by cutterslade, Aug 24, 2012.

1. cutterslade

cutterslade Active Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Hey guys! The game we from Crocodella were previously calling Project A has been officially baptized Alunia! And to celebrate we have a teaser video you can see below:

The game is a SNES-style turn-based RPG, which we're trying to infuse with a lot of the soul that made the classics from that era great. In essence, it's the game we've been craving to play on our own iPads :)

More info to come in the next few months (including a beta test)!

Don't hesitate to share your thoughts, suggestions and criticisms!

2. Linebarrel86

Linebarrel86 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Cog in the corporate machine.
    In my skin...
    I'll be honest. The art style of this game is extremely poor in quality.

I understand the desire to do a SNES title with turn based battles. I'm actually all for that. Loved the first Final Fantasy titles personally.

But my love for them that continues now is based on the use of the bit sprite.

To me, combining two different styles of art is a bad idea. Go all 8 or 16 bit sprite and you'll definetly captivate your target market for this title. The animation of you characters as they stand now look poorly drawn.

I also realize that the team behind this title is probably very small. But this can't be used as a crutch since there are other teams of two or so individuals that push out superior products to your own.

Games like this usually have cookie cutter type idea. Boy has to save so&so from someone or some kingdom falls into darkness. Yada yada. You get my point. We've seen it before.

But just because we've seen it before, doesn't mean we won't play anyway. I play games that are simliar all the time. Only thing is, a story that's been told before has to have some element that draws you in. And that's where the visuals come in. What I will be staring at while I play.

To me, the art style is going to hinder you.

Again, this is only my own opinion. Others may be intrigued by it. Some will like it maybe.

3. cutterslade

cutterslade Active Member

Nov 29, 2008
    #3 cutterslade, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    Thank you for your honesty! And I also agree that the team size (you're right, we are 2 people working on our spare time) is no excuse for poor quality. We'll carefully consider your points.

4. violentv

violentv Well-Known Member

Nov 4, 2010
    #4 violentv, Aug 24, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
    I have to agree with Kurogane...eh ..Linebarrel I mean.

I don't think the sprites are bad...the designs are just really plain and lack details. I think the animations need more frames too! And gosh the backgrounds are rather empty. The ground needs more textures but I must say I like the water. lol

When I talk about indie games and sprite art.. I will normally bring up a whole bunch of doujin gems that sprung from comiket. The sprite art in those games are really brilliant and attractive and the animations are superb. These are small doujin groups (working without salaries) that put out limited copies of their products once a year.

for example have a look at the ones by the doujin group WERK.
    http://spriters-resource.com/pc_computer/bmw/

These are only my opinions though... I have no idea of the real art direction your team is aiming for.