Future programmer?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Michelangelo, Aug 27, 2009.

1. Michelangelo

Michelangelo Well-Known Member

#1 Michelangelo, Aug 27, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
    Hi, this is my first post on TA. I'm considering learning how to program for the iPhone/iPod touch. Right now, the only thing I can program are simple games on my TI calculator and basic programs on the computer. What I really want to know is what programming language I should learn to code on the idevices, C or C++. Thanks.

2. f e a r l e s s

f e a r l e s s Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    You could have Googled for your answer in less time it took you to sign up here and post.

3. Michelangelo

Well, I was meaning to sign up for a while and needed an excuse :)

4. grid

grid Well-Known Member

Feb 17, 2009
    iPhone Game Dev
    Minneapolis, MN
    The answer is that you can program games in either C or C++. But you'll need to know at least a smidgen of Objective-C, because that's what XCode uses/creates by default. (It's also pretty easy.) Go to apple.com/developer, and sign up there. Then start watching the tutorial videos. Best way to learn.

5. arkanigon

arkanigon Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
  6. Michelangelo

Thanks for the info. I'll be taking a programing class next semester so I'll focus on those languages.

7. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    Objective C is the best one to learn... as grid mentioned, it is the primary language for iphone programming. I'd say the next best is C++.... then C...

8. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    I hardly use any Objective C. I only use it if I need to use one of the built in classes.

I guess it makes life easier if you're just starting out. but also plain vanilla C is pretty easy to learn.

9. HanulTech

HanulTech Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Don't wait to take a programming class, just jump in. If you can spring for the Apple developer fee, and $30-40 for an Objective C book, you'll be on your way.

And if you're serious, be prepared to learn a lot more than programming including game art creation, 3d modeling, and sound design and engineering. I think one of the big reason many of us love it so much is because there's never a lack of new things to learn. Good luck.

10. 99c_gamer

99c_gamer Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2009
    yeah the actual programming language is just the first step. The bulk of what you need to learn are the APIs like OpenGL and Cocoa Touch.

11. arkanigon

Dec 24, 2008
    I agree with this. Go ahead and jump in. No need to wait. Programming classes are definitely great, and will help deepen your knowledge. But you can get started right away and learn as you go along.