Exploration / sandbox-y games?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Jorlen, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Any good exploration games out there? Games with a heavy emphasis on exploration.

Bonus points if it features procedural generation (randomly generated levels).

I own Junk Jack and have played terraria, these are good examples. 3D / 1st person I am open to as well though.

Any ideas?

2. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Here are some...

Heavy emphasis on exploration:

Ravensword Shadowlands - open world
    Aralon - open world
    Indigo Lake - open world
    Star Wars KOTOR - open world
    Gangstar Vegas - open world
    The Dark Knight Returns - open world
    Battle Supremacy - sort of open world, but has realtime missions and objectives that keep you from exploring anytime
    Bard's Tale
    Iesabel
    Waking Mars
    Unmechanical
    Shardlands

Procedurally generated levels:

Heroes of Loot - random dungeons
    Cardinal Quest - roguelike
    Boson X - endless runner
    Quadropus Rampage

3. JCho133

JCho133 Well-Known Member

Jul 27, 2012
    Dungeon Nightmares - 1st person horror game (no combat). Explore a dungeon who's internals are randomly generated as you progress through nights. Scary as ****

4. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

Hero of Many and Icoboto aren't open world or sandboxy, but they have a focus on exploration and discovery. Discovery of the mechanics, exploring the levels

5. This is probably literally the fifth topic I've seen on this subject in the past two weeks...

6. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    9th Dawn

7. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Did a search and only one thread came up from 2012...

Thanks!

8. NomaD

NomaD Well-Known Member

Jun 29, 2009
    California
    Don't be a dick about it.

9. I'm not being a d*** about anything. I'm just pointing out that these types of topics are popping up a lot lately.

10. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    LOL... True... But some will consider "pointing that out" without adding anything informative or productive as being a d. :D

11. Well that isn't really helping my case :(

I provided sources guys, alright? If it really bothers y'all so much, I'll just leave this topic alone.

12. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Yeah, but only after he called you out. :D

Still, in the end, your post ended up being helpful.

13. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    #14 Jorlen, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    I'll check the threads out but honestly I don't think the type of game I'm looking for really exists much on this platform, specially ones with randomly generated levels. I mean of course, true exploration games, not RPG/roguelikes.

Edit: Had a look at the other threads and that's not what I'm looking for at all (minecraft-likes, GTA-likes, games for 4 year olds...etc). Like said before though, they just don't seem to have a niche on IOS is all.

The closest I've found were stuff like Aquaria, Waking mars and Gene effect, none of which have any level layout randomization and NONE of which were mentioned in any threads on the subject. These three games should be investigated by people who want exploration-heavy games, hell, I might just get over my OCD and try all of them. If someone here has played all three, or two of the three, any recommendations?

14. Bronxsta

#15 Bronxsta, Jan 31, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
    Definitely Waking Mars, that's a IOS must-have. Haven't played the others
    Sounds like you're more into Metroidvania style exploration games.

Mentioned before, but you might like Hero of Many. It's linear but the level designs fosters exploration, doesn't hold you hand. Also Incoboto is a Metroidvania-style puzzle platformer, you can back track and travel between planets, and it's all about discovering how the various machines and contraptions work. I consider it one of the best games on IOS

15. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    I meant to say I checked out Hero of Many (from your first post) but forgot. It looks cool and was added to my wish list, just forgot to mention it :)

Regarding Incoboto, I checked it out but honestly I am not into puzzle genre, or even hybrids, most of the time. Unless the puzzles are really light (like, skyrim light so even a moron can do them) then I don't think it'll be me cup'o'tea.

16. Bronxsta

Yeah, then you wouldn't enjoy Incoboto. Puzzles can get pretty tough

You also might really like The Deep
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id343474291

And Swordigo, if you don't have that game already
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/swordigo/id499125840

17. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    The deep looks interesting, but I'd need it to be unverisal.

I keep forgetting about Swordigo! It's actually on my wishlist, might pick it up. I know you and several others have recommended it.

I just finished playing Space Miner and also beat Trial by Survival and they've left me wanting more in terms of exploration.

18. aikavari

aikavari Well-Known Member

Apr 24, 2011
    I'd wish they'd release a new version of Space Miner or something... That one really got me into ios gaming. Can't believe it's been 5 years...

19. Jorlen

Jorlen Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2009
    IT
    Canada
    Yeah that was one of the best ios games I've played. No IAP, just a console quality experience. They should have made a sequel. I'm guessing it sold well.