Z is for Zombie - Coming Soon

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by jonmulcahy, Oct 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jonmulcahy

jonmulcahy Well-Known Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to post an announcement that my first iPhone game is now in review with Apple. It's called Z is for Zombie, and it's a side scrolling survival game. I've released a few iPhone apps before, but nothing this involved. I hand drew every bit of artwork for the game, it's basic on purpose.

The game uses a very basic control scheme. You move using the accelerometer and tap anywhere on the screen to shoot. You can adjust the accelerometer angle from the settings screen as well, so you're not locked into what I think is the ideal playing angle.

Version 1.0 should hopefully hit the app store towards the end of the month. I've got Version 1.1 ready to go as soon as it's approved. With 1.1 I've made the game 2x longer, and added some new gameplay features. I've also animated all the zombie deaths, so they explode with lots of blood. :)

Anyways, it's going to be $.99, and a lite version will follow. I hope you like it, it's the first in a bunch of planned games.

I've got a youtube trailer for the game up here:

Screenshots:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and a sneak peak at Version 1.1:

[​IMG]

2. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    i really like the look of this! love the hand drawn graphics and the gameplay also looks like it will be fun too

3. WOW, looks like a 5th grader drew it or something from Don Hertzfeldt. I like it!

Gameplay looks simple and fun too, appears to be a basic 2D side-scrolling shooter.

4. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    This does look like a lot of fun! Hand drawn graphics always draw me to a game and I'm looking forward to this one. :)

5. jonmulcahy

Thanks, I'm hoping it makes it through the approval process this week. I remember when it used to be just 5-6 days to get approved. Those were nice times.

I just want it approved so I can submit version 1.1, it doubles the size of the game.

6. sic

sic Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2009
    Philippines

Hey goodluck on your game yeah? :)

7. Hudson RL

Hudson RL Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    England
    looks interesting, i wont pick it up until it gets updated though, i dont like the way the zombies die, so as soon as some animation such as the blood comes out in the update, i'll get it straight away, because it looks like a fun and quirky game to pick up and play in small bursts.

8. jonmulcahy

Hudson

The death animations are already in 1.1. I'm going to be recording a preview of that this weekend so I'll update it here. I agree that it makes a big difference. If it wasn't so late in the month I would have just sent this in as 1.0, but I want the game in for Halloween (hopefully), and I was already 4 days into the review process.

Let's hope it's one of the 86% under 14 days :)

9. MuFFz

MuFFz Well-Known Member

Jul 1, 2009
    Wow, looking at this makes me really want to become an app developer now, seeing as your drawing is nice, and mine is no different.

10. Enigmious

Enigmious Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2009
    If that were only what it takes... :D

Interesting art style for sure. Looks appealing. I like how you blended some different play types in (side scroll shooter and stationary defense)

11. jonmulcahy

Thank you :)

And yea, if that was only what it takes. Besides the hours sketching, inking, shading and stupid animating, I spend a few days designing the gameplay.

Nothing compared to the big games that come out, but I'm one person, so it was a long involved process.

12. jonmulcahy