Shinobi

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by khangtoh, Sep 3, 2009.

1. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Anyone remembered this game? I was crazy about Shinobi when it first came out. If only some developers would pick this up and get a similar title out, if not we'll do it!

2. colorsound

colorsound Well-Known Member

May 15, 2009
    Video Game Developer / Photographer / Graphic Arti
    Detroit, MI
    I love Shinobi

My best memories of it were the original on my Sega Master System (and of course the arcade version was best), then Revenge of Shinobi on Genesis
    (Shadow Dancer was ok)

Isn't this game owned by Sega?

If so, they will port over a disaster that I wouldn't want

3. sizzlakalonji

sizzlakalonji Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Apr 16, 2009
    Indiana, USA
    It's a Sega game, isn't it?

4. PureSkill

PureSkill Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2009
    We will see...
    Flour Bluff
    I remember it! It was a very visually appealling and quite fun game.

I dont think anyone is making anything like this for the iphone. There is samurai: way of the warrior, but Shinobi would be a different game all together.

I say do it! If you can make the game, then it would be a welcomed addition to my iphone gaming library. :)

5. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It's a Sega game. AM7/Overworks (one of Sega's older internal studios, which is now apparently merged with the old AM1/WOW team, developers of House of the Dead) developed the Shinobi series, from the original arcade games to the Genesis games right through to the PS2 3D updates.

So as Sega controls the IP, they'll be the ones to bring it over.

Sadly, knowing Sega, they'll just throw the old Revenge of Shinobi Genesis/MegaDrive game ROM into that unoptimized Genesis/MegaDrive emulator of theirs, same as they did with Sonic and Streets of Rage.

*sighs

What happened to the Sega of my youth...the Sega with the guts to go the extra mile? :(

6. khangtoh

khangtoh Well-Known Member

May 31, 2009
    Co-Founder/IPhone Dev @ LeftRight Studios
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yeah, it's still owned by Sega, but what's stopping other game developers in coming up their own shinobi style game? I personally liked Revenge fo the Shinobi most.

http://www.sega.com/games/the-revenge-of-shinobi/

7. yas

yas Well-Known Member

Aug 7, 2009
    Rōnin developer
    Not sure a twitch platform game like Shinobi would work well with touch controls. The user interface would need to be completely re-imagined for a good iDevice game...