Top Gun vs F.A.S.T. Poll

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Fromo, Apr 16, 2010.

?

Which do you prefer:

1. Top Gun

11 vote(s)
    57.9%
  2. F.A.S.T.

8 vote(s)
    42.1%
  1. Fromo

Fromo Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Hi all, I am new to the iTouch world and the entire iPod world for that matter. This is my first iPod.

I was looking for those who have played both Top Gun and F.A.S.T. and you opinions as to which is better. They both look very similar and I don't need 2 air combat games, just want the better of the two.

Thanks for the help!

2. Hippieman

Hippieman Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Senior Producer, Designer
    San Francisco
    They are extremely different games.

I made Top Gun, and we modeled the game after titles like Afterburner and Space Harrier.

F.A.S.T. is more of an arena dog fighting type game that is online.

Top Gun is on rails (like the new Afterburner Climax game) and F.A.S.T. is a free roaming game (like a Flight Sim).

3. Edm

Edm Well-Known Member

May 9, 2009
    top gun

why dont you make a poll

4. Fromo

Fromo Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Good call Edm. Wish I could just add it here, I'll submit a new post with the poll

5. Fromo

Fromo Member

Apr 16, 2010
  6. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Both this and your other thread are in the wrong section. You can't move them, but the mods will. Also, starting two threads on the subject is very bad form around here -- word to the wise.

7. Fromo

Fromo Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Thanks Hippieman, I loved the original Afterburner arcade version. Can you tell me what you mean by "rails" vs "free roaming"? Appreciate the patience. :)
    Thanks

8. GodSon

GodSon Well-Known Member

Mar 12, 2009
    You really did't have to make two threads for this.

ANyway. They are two different games but imho F.A.S.T. despite the way they implemented there DLC far outshines Top Gun in all aspects and overall depth.

9. Fromo

Fromo Member

Apr 16, 2010
    My bad with the double post. I'll try and get a mod to delete the other one. Not very experienced with posting.

10. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    On rails means, in Top Gun, the jet goes where we tell it to go. You can fly around inside that area, but we control going from point A to B. It's a more common Arcade type experience.

Free roaming, let's you fly wherever you want to go. It's more like a traditional Flight Simulator.

11. medianotzu

medianotzu Well-Known Member

Nov 21, 2009
    I haven't played Top Gun, but of the games I have played, I would say Skies of Glory is by far the best. I hear HAWX is quite good too, but it doesn't have online multiplayer. Anyway I can recommend Skies of Glory over F.A.S.T. (both made by SGN).

Anyway you can download Skies of Glory and F.A.S.T. for free...and if you like Skies of Glory, you should probably get the Battle of Britain app, which is a sort of bargain bundle app. It's friggin' great, seriously.

Don't get Ace Combat though, I actually regret spending $3 on that one. ;)

12. Hippieman

Nov 6, 2008
    San Francisco
    Top Gun is a different type game than those. It's more like an Arcade game.

13. Slothy

Slothy Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    I vote top gun, although its like apples and oranges between the two. I am a fan of arcade-style gaming. Plus top gun was one of the first games I saw that blew me away when I saw it in apple's commercial, it reminded me of afterburner. It among a few others got my interest perked up to buy an ipod touch. And I have to say, the game did not disappoint me.

14. Der-Kleine

Der-Kleine Well-Known Member

I'd say top gun is better, for not-on-rail flying games I'd recommend Ace Combat Xi (I just love that game!! I wish they'd make more missions) and Hawx! ;)

15. elimcfly

elimcfly Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Top Gun by far, FAST just wasn't that fun for me. And I got a question for Freeverse guy, why does the Top Gun story in the game just abruptly end? You never find out who the sabateur is?

16. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

I prefer FAST myself, but that is more to my genre preference than which game is superior. Top Gun has fantastic graphics, arcade-y gameplay, and it is freaking Top Gun. I just like dogfighting and free-roam better

17. hhhh

hhhh Well-Known Member

Apr 7, 2010
    United States
    Well, Top Gun is basically bullet/missle dodging while in FAST you can actually dogfight in an relatively open world. I would recommend HAWX for the missions.

18. da shiz wiz 19

da shiz wiz 19 Well-Known Member

Sep 24, 2009
    After you beat Top Gun you never pick it back up again.

It's pretty dang sweet while is lasts, but that's not for very long.

F.A.S.T is pretty good, the human interaction (as in you play other people) changes things up game to game. But I had connection problems a lot (is it just me?)

Both are pretty good.

19. Fromo

Fromo Member

Apr 16, 2010
    Downloaded Skies of Glory and one issue I see is if you aren't connected to WiFi when you finish a mission, it doesn't actually save your place. It couldn't connect to get the second mission and later when I eventually did connect it brought me to the beginning of the first mission again. Unless I missed something, that is kind of annoying.