Possible to backup save games for iOS 5 beta?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by sofakng, Jun 11, 2011.

1. sofakng

sofakng Member

Jul 7, 2009
    I've read that you can use iPhone Explorer (on an unjailbroken phone) to backup save game data from your applications and then later restore it.

Does this work with iOS 5 beta?

I want to reformat/reinstall my iOS on my iPhone 4 to "start fresh" but I want to transfer a few save games...

2. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    #2 injuwarrior, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    It should unless you cannot backup the iphone in ios 5 on itunes. If you can it will work. Ill pull up the instructions another member gave me a few months ago.You also need backup extractor (free software).

3. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

#3 iMario, Jun 11, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2011
    Yes, you can:
    [​IMG]

4. injuwarrior

injuwarrior Well-Known Member

Apr 18, 2011
    USA
    Ok here they are, but I asked to get a backup of infinity blade from another iphone on to my ipod when I got it. So really all you do is use backup extractor to get the game save data from each game individually from your latest itunes backup. Then you use explorer later to overwrite the game documents folders with your game saves. So its similar, but keep that in mind.
    1. Backup his iPhone using iTunes. Make sure the "encrypt iTunes backups" checkbox is unchecked.
    2. Find his .ipsw file by searching his computer for a .ipsw file or looking for guides on Google.
    3. Email the file to yourself or upload it to a file hosting site and send yourself the link.
    4. On your own mac, download iPhone backup extractor from here.
    5. Put your friend's .ipsw file in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup.
    Load iPhone Backup Extractor, load your friend's .ipsw, and click on Infinity Blade.
    6. Click on extract. Extract to the desktop.
    7. Sync your iPod touch 1G with iTunes. Back it up, then plugin your new device and restore to the backup you just created.
    8. Sync Infinity Blade to your device.
    9. Download iPhone Explorer from here.
    10. Open iPhone explorer and drag the "documents" folder from the com.Chair.InfinityBlade folder on your desktop into iPhone explorer and overwrite the documents folder in Applications/InfinityBlade/documents.
    11. Sync.

K?! was the member who told me this.

5. robotsvswizards.com

robotsvswizards.com Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2010
    Game Development, Music
    CA, USA
    If you are worried about saving stuff I wouldn't mess with beta versions of iOS. It's really only for testing and is nowhere near the final version. Which means there will be errors and the chance of losing all your saves is pretty high.