Should I get Battle for Wesnoth?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Hmar9333, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Hmar9333

Hmar9333 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    I'm a huge strategy game fan, and I'm wondering whether Battle for Wesnoth actually has any strategy beyond:

Throw units at the enemy and hope that you win.

Content-wise I know it's well worth it, but I'm just not sure about the strategic element,

Other than BfW, are there any other suggestions?

2. Bdragonst

Bdragonst Well-Known Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Student
    Japan -> S.Korea -> USA
    If you're huge strategy fan, then the answer is YES!

You have ipod touch 3g then the game should be run very
    smooth... I mean my touch 2g run the game smoothly, you shouldnt have any problem at all lol...

This game tend to run better on ipod touches than iphones from looking at the reviews and forums... reason is unknown thou.

3. Faeryan

Faeryan Well-Known Member

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    #4 Faeryan, Dec 24, 2009
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    The game is definitely well worth it.

There's also a PC version of the game available for free. I think Sourceforge.net has it. I'm not sure if there's a Windows compile of it but at least Linux version and the source files are there.

Back to the iPhone version. I was a bit disappointed about the game since it doesn't run well enough on my iPhone 3G.

Like Bdragonst already said it might run better on iPod Touch. I think the explanation is that it has a better graphics chip than iPhone 3G.
    I can't remember for sure if Touches use the same chip as iPhone 3GS's or a bit less powerful ones, but it's definitely a bit better than iPhone 3G's.

EDIT: Can't find the source for the graphics chip thing, but on some other site I found it says Touches and iPhone 3G use the same graphics chip while the 3GS has better one, but Touch has a better CPU than iPhone 3G but not just as good as 3GS.
    Long story short, iPod Touch has better processing unit than 3G phone, so that's why Wesnoth runs better on it. Not sure if it's still smooth enough as I haven't seen iPod touch on action.

4. yvangkwheng

yvangkwheng New Member

Dec 24, 2009
    where can i download the pc version? i wanna play it on my laptop

5. Faeryan

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Now that I googled for it there indeed is a Windows compile available. Can be found at http://www.wesnoth.org/

6. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    A 3rd Gen iPod touch (32GB, 64GB) has the same graphics chip and a slightly faster processer than the 3GS. I should know, I spent a lot of time researching before I upgraded ;)

7. Hmar9333

Jul 11, 2009
    Book Salesperson/Student
    Melbourne, Australia
    Also, currently playing through the lite version.

8. Faeryan

Jan 11, 2009
    Finland
    Right right. The iPod Touch I was speaking of was a 2G. Older one apparently. Still faster than a 3G phone.

9. Random_Guy

Random_Guy Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2009
    Australia, mate!
    Yes, get it!