Icon not changing with update

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by PixelthisMike, Jun 25, 2009.

1. PixelthisMike

PixelthisMike Well-Known Member

Hi fellow devs,

Have just released an update to Sheepish and one of the changes we made was to remove the sale banner from the icon. Unfortunately, for myself and at least one mildly annoyed customer, the app icon on the device has remained unchanged!

The icon on the store (both on computer and device) has updated correctly. The icon that appears in the Applications listing within iTunes is also correct. The only icon that hasn't update is the actual app icon. I have checked that the plist is pointing to the correct file and it is. Anyway, if the app icon differed from the store icon the app would have been rejected right?

Of course users could just remove and reinstall the app but it's the kind of game where you really don't want to lose your progress.

Has anybody come across this problem before, I searched all over the place and found no mention of a similar problem so I wonder if it is an OS3.0 problem? Have any other devs released an update for the new OS that included a change to their icon?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

2. Shroomies

Shroomies Member

Jan 16, 2009
    Sorry I can't help you with your exact problem but wanted to let you know a tip for sale banners. When you submit a new app or update, make sure the 57x57 app icon in the bundle matches the 512x512 image you upload in iTunesConnect. Once your app is approved, feel free to change the 512x512 image to have a banner. This will let your users have the banner-free app icon on their device but you can promote on the App Store.

3. PixelthisMike

Update:

The TA user (thanks BrettArchibald!) that first brought the problem to my attention has been helping me to diagnose the problem and found that simply restarting the device caused the correct icon to display!

So some kind of icon caching issue? Oddly though I am certain I restarted my device and it had no effect! Even uninstalling and 'repurchasing' Sheepish didn't work. The correct icon showed while it was downloading and then it reverted to the old one once downloaded. The only way I could get it to work was to uninstall the app, restart the device and then 'repurchase' it. This worked :) But I'm hoping that most users will be able to correct the problem by just restarting since I don't want them to have to uninstall and lose all saved data.

Am still looking into whether this problem occurs on OS2.2.1.

4. PixelthisMike

Thanks Shroomies, this also touches on a similar discussion I was having with BrettArchibald here. I did some reading and found that there is no requirement for these two icons to be identical but they if they are too different then the app may be rejected because if perceived user confusion. So technically there shouldn't be any problem with uploading the 512x512 image with a sale banner and the 57x57 image without. Unless you have seen something that suggests otherwise?

5. Stroffolino

Stroffolino Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Apr 28, 2009
    Software Engineer
    Pennsylvania
    It may not be a well publicized rule, but there are plenty of examples of people that submitted an app with 57x57 and 512x512 icons that were different, and ended up being rejected for that reason. I wouldn't play around, knowing how arbitrary the review process can be.

I've been lucky enough to have only one rejection to date - the initial release of Bug Juice featured a mock iphone screen full of comical bug-themed app icons (which were going to be linked to mini-games). Whoever ended up reviewing the game asserted that I was using one of Apple's icons in a disparaging manner, which is forbidden. When I asked which icon, I was just sent the exact same email again with no further explanation.

Attached Files: