Any success using a publisher?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by butterbean21, Dec 18, 2009.

1. butterbean21

butterbean21 Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    I'm looking to possibly go the publisher route, but first, wanted to hear any success stories with any indy devs using a publisher, and if they care to disclose, what publishers are recommended?

I'm a newbie, but hear that as an indy dev, marketing your game can truly make or break your sales, and even the best marketing you can do individually may not bring your sales up

Any advice would be great!

(I've also been scowering this site for related topics, so I apologize if this has been posted more than once)

2. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    i still have not understood the publisher route - honestly.

if chillingo et al are examples - then i see as they get larger and larger; you end up being in a mix of another large list of applications (mini app store). you may be better off just trying to establish your own brand / name in the application store - this is what we are trying to do with mobile 1up. maybe you should work together with another small indie and form your own group so you dont end up by your self in the store (with a single app)

3. jak56

jak56 Well-Known Member

I think publishers will be good for you, but you need to have a good game in the first place! Ravensword is a prime example of this.

4. kinnth

kinnth Well-Known Member

Dec 17, 2009
    Hello,

My name is Tom and I work in the Publishing department at Chillingo. I cannot give you the advice of your fellow indie developers but I can give you some advice into what publishers can do for you.

A publisher isn't only involved in promotion of your app say via advertising or within their portfolio of games. A publisher's main objective is to maximise the audience that your app is seen by. The larger the audience the more likely that your app sales will improve although there is no guarantees.

Mobile 1up makes a point that a small bunch of developers can be as effective as a publisher which can be the case. Really a publisher is just a larger bunch of developers that is managed by people who have a lot of experience with games. If you feel you can benefit from this then get in contact.

jak56 makes the most important point of all, "you need to have a good game in the first place" this is what will truly make you successful on any platform.

You can reach me personally at tom @ chillingo.com I would love to see a build of your game.

5. mobile1up

mobile1up Well-Known Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Technical Director
    Munich, Germany
    an important thing to note is that a publisher like chillingo has a lot of applications; so there is a max point where you also get lost in the crowd as well. something to keep in mind - but, its better to be alone in a small crowd; than in the 100,000 app strong crowd.

when mobile1up started; chillingo was just starting up too.

i have friend developers who went chillingo primarially because apple didn't allow developed from their country sign up for the developer program / receive payments. so, thats another reason as well.