Developer Needed For Amazing Looking Game

Discussion in 'Developer Services and Trade' started by MindJuice, Dec 10, 2010.

1. I'm looking for some programming help on Unicorn Rush. Check out the site to get an idea of the awesome artwork and music.

I am a developer too, but I am short of time at the moment, so I am looking for some help.

All art, music and sound effects will be provided, as well as a high-level design doc. There is also an opportunity to add your own special touches to the game. In fact, I hope to find someone who will do that.

The game uses the new Pixelwave engine, and the API is based on Flash (but unlike Flash, Pixelwave is incredibly fast). You can read a bit more about Pixelwave here.

Yes, Unicorn Rush has some things in common with Robot Unicorn Attack, but it also has many unique things.

You should be:

• An experienced iOS developer with at least one game in the App Store (send me links)
    • Passion about creating awesome games
    • Able to put in significant time over the next month or two
    • Willing to work for a combination of pay and profit sharing
    • Willing to sign an NDA before starting actual development
    If you are interested or would like more information, contact me directly for more info at: ken {at} mindjuice [dot] net

Thanks!

2. Graz73

Graz73 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Web Design, Graphics & Illustration
    Mansfield, OH
    It is VERY similar to RUA. Why not just change your character to a pegasus or something slightly different than yet another unicorn?

3. Kris Jones

Kris Jones Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2009
    Producer/Publisher/Designer of Mobile Games
    America
    Well...that is some awesome art...but I thought I was looking at Robot Unicorn Attack from adult swim at first.

4. Yet another unicorn? There's only one other one! It's not like this is the match 3 genre.

Also, I created this game concept before I'd ever heard of RUA.

5. Sadly it won't matter whether you came up with it first or not. They're huge and you'll never hear the end of it.

I recommend a style change or accept that it's a copy and add a new mechanic that makes their game better. On fire mode? Like the old NBA Jam

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    Robot Unicron Attack.

It's exactly the same.. from the mechanism, the unicorn, the environment backgrounds, overall feel, etc.

Virtually everyone will say it's RUA wannabe :eek:

7. Respectfully, the only similar thing is that there is a running unicorn.

The backgrounds and environments look nothing like RUA. In fact, the graphical styles couldn't be more different.

Also, the game mechanics are different in many respects which I haven't described here. There is no dash, for example, but there are other mechanics.

Having said that, I do realize some people are superficial and will never see beyond a casual similarity. They will see a running unicorn and immediately say "Clone!".

That's not what this thread is about though.

8. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Why not another unicorn game? It's not like unicorns are as "popular" as zombies and every day a dozen devs release even more zombie games.

Even if it is very similar to RUA this game will certainly get a few (or more) sales.

Btw. I might be biased as I am a huge unicorn fan:

[​IMG]

;)

9. crazygambit

crazygambit Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2010
    Actually a RUA parody with that unicorn is something I'd be interested in working on. Mmmmmm....

10. WickedAwesome

WickedAwesome Active Member

May 8, 2010
    Concept Wizard
    Melbourne, Australia
    Rhinos have horns

If its the horns that please you why not change your mythical creature to a Rhino and call the game Rhino Rush, he can smash through boulders and attack marauding lions. Set it in Africa, put some water in there and some vultures and ill give you a buck for it. Now that's a game!

11. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I agree that it reminds me massively of RUA.

You may argue that the only things that are similar are the unicorn and concept, but that is everything.

It's like taking Doodle Jump and creating a hand drawn character that looks like the doodle, and then making it a jumping high score game.

You won't get anywhere I am afraid.

12. Maybe it's more like taking PapiJump and making Doodle Jump, except with good looking graphics.

13. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    If PapiJump had anywhere near Robot Unicorn Attack's popularity, Doodle Jump would've got a title it deserves: a copycat.

But it's your game, you can always ignore us.

14. Graz73

Graz73 Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2010
    Web Design, Graphics & Illustration
    Mansfield, OH
    I see what you are saying that there can be more than one unicorn game, and I'm sure I'd be frustrated if someone beat me to market with a similar idea...

But if I released a catapult game called "Irritated Avians" I'm sure you'd think I was a copy cat too!

You are right, there can be other unicorn games... but in another genre!

So... You've got a good game. Why not put a knight with a lance on a horse? That would probably not change your game mechanics at all...