Help testing our app

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by pbendersky, Mar 18, 2010.

1. Hi,
    Both our apps, NineGaps and RuneTrails are receiving some 1 star rates because the app seems to be crashing when opened in OS 2.2.1. We updated our development iPod to 3.0 when it was beta, and now have all our devices in 3.x.

Is anyone willing to help us get to the bottom of the issue? It should be an easy fix, due -I think- to some linkage problem.

Thank you in advance.

2. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Well..I'm just going to throw it out there..If you can't find anyone with 2.2.1, you could probably find that FW version online to download, and restore one of your devices with it to try and find the bug.

3. I found the FW online, as you suggest, but could not find a way to downgrade an iPod Touch to 2.2.1.

4. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Well you have to plug your device in, and hold down the Option key when you click Restore. You'll then be able to navigate to the 2.2.1 FW.

5. I'll try it. Are you sure that works as easy as you suggest?

6. d1

d1 Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Yep its incredibly easy. When my iPod bricked I had to do those same steps so I could restore from 3.1.2 instead of upgrading to 3.1.3. Make a backup of all your info just in case though, you never know. If you're hesitant just Google it or go on YouTube, there's tons of how-to/tutorials.

7. lukeca

lukeca Well-Known Member

Jul 22, 2009
    You have to force the iPod into DFU mode also, otherwise it will not accept an OS that is lower than what is installed.

As derek420 said just google "downgrading iphone os" and you should be able to find a tutorial that walks you through the process

8. togapit

togapit Member

We had a similar problem, but in the opposite direction. We had a 2.2.1 ipod and a bunch of iPhones running 3.* . After we first released iTouch My Friends, we found that the iPod 3.* had memory issues with our DLC. We are now in the process of purchasing an iPod with 3.* to have every OS/Device covered.

9. InsertWittyName

InsertWittyName Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2008
    Ensure that any 3.0 specific frameworks are weak-linked.

What frameworks are you linking?

10. Intruder_qcc

Intruder_qcc Well-Known Member

Mar 28, 2009
    Senior Analyst-programmer
    St-Hubert (Quebec), Canada
    Another suggestion...

You can also find a beta tester that can help you track down with a debugging build. I did that for a few other dev as my iPod touch 2nd gen. is still running with 2.2.1 (this is my main development iDevice and I decided to keep it this way as long as I can).

If you add some NSLog in your code, someone can simply plug it in and with XCode send your the console log which will help you pinpoint the exact location of the problem. Also send you the crash report log too (though I find it more difficult to work with those, better NSLog which you have control of what you document there).