Crow $4.99 ---> $2.99

Discussion in 'Price Drops, Must-Have Freebies, and Deals' started by awp69, Apr 19, 2012.

1. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    On my iPhone, if someone could post the App info.

Surprised to see a drop already.

2. Jdragoon19

Jdragoon19 Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2010
    TouchArcade Forums
    Area 51

Crow

Sunside Inc.
    Crow is the critically acclaimed, story-driven action-adventure for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Combining unique explor…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Crow is the critically acclaimed, story-driven action-adventure for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Combining unique exploration, combat, and game mechanics, Crow takes the player on an exciting journey to faraway lands where an ancient battle is unfolding. Your choices will forever alter the course of this world. Will you Curse your foes or Spare them and risk the consequences? Created using Sunside's in-house game platform Radiance, Crow delivers stunning visuals and immersion in a fully 3D world. *Featured Benchmark Game for Stunning Graphics! *iPad Game of the Week in over 6 countries! *Includes high-resolution support for the new iPad! Featuring: * Immersive story line * Meaningful player choice * Stunning 3D graphics * Visceral combat * Sweeping musical score * Support for the new iPad Retina Display What reviewers have said: * Kotaku - Gaming App of the Day - "Crow could be the greatest iPhone game I’ve ever played." * PC Magazine - The 25 Best iPhone Games - "Crow is a game that beckons you to take a flight through the dark side in an adventure that lets you choose your own path." * 148Apps - Editor's Choice Award - "Unique is the word for this game." * TheAppShack - 5/5 - "The gameplay is solid, the atmosphere, graphics, music, and story all blend together perfectly." * TapByte - 10/10 - "Sunside Games has managed to create a masterpiece of a game." * AppAdvice - 5/5 - "Crow is one of the best games I have ever played." * App-score.com - 9/10 - "Crow is one of the most visually stunning games I have seen on iOS. The graphics, music, setting and story all result in an amazing experience." * iFanzine - 4/5 - "Crow's world is definitely one of the most compelling I've visited on iOS." * Appolicious Advisor - 5/5 - "Some of the best visuals the iPhone has to offer." * Mactrast.com - 4/5 - "An Immensely Captivating Dark Adventure for iOS" Watch the Official Trailer: http://tinyurl.com/crowtrailer Recommended for the iPad or any recent iPhone/iPod Touch (3gs, iPhone 4, 4s)
    Information
    Seller:Sunside Inc.
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Apr 12, 2012
    Updated:Dec 19, 2012
    Version:1.21
    Size:270.4 MB
    User Rating: (10)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

Eh, tbh, this isn't a good sign. Only a couple weeks after release, and already a price drop?!?

3. syntheticvoid

syntheticvoid Well-Known Member

Jun 20, 2010
    Musician & factory worker.
    a[V-O-I-D]
    well the devs did say in the main game thread that the $5 was really just an experiment... and that if they thought they could keep up the sales with a lower price that they would drop it

With no mention of the price drop in the game description, I wouldn't be surprised if this was the new set price.

4. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    #4 Master Shake, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012

Crow

Sunside Inc.
    Crow is the critically acclaimed, story-driven action-adventure for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Combining unique explor…
    TouchArcade Rating:
    $0.99
    Buy Now
    Media
    Details
    Crow is the critically acclaimed, story-driven action-adventure for iPad, iPhone and iPod Touch. Combining unique exploration, combat, and game mechanics, Crow takes the player on an exciting journey to faraway lands where an ancient battle is unfolding. Your choices will forever alter the course of this world. Will you Curse your foes or Spare them and risk the consequences? Created using Sunside's in-house game platform Radiance, Crow delivers stunning visuals and immersion in a fully 3D world. *Featured Benchmark Game for Stunning Graphics! *iPad Game of the Week in over 6 countries! *Includes high-resolution support for the new iPad! Featuring: * Immersive story line * Meaningful player choice * Stunning 3D graphics * Visceral combat * Sweeping musical score * Support for the new iPad Retina Display What reviewers have said: * Kotaku - Gaming App of the Day - "Crow could be the greatest iPhone game I’ve ever played." * PC Magazine - The 25 Best iPhone Games - "Crow is a game that beckons you to take a flight through the dark side in an adventure that lets you choose your own path." * 148Apps - Editor's Choice Award - "Unique is the word for this game." * TheAppShack - 5/5 - "The gameplay is solid, the atmosphere, graphics, music, and story all blend together perfectly." * TapByte - 10/10 - "Sunside Games has managed to create a masterpiece of a game." * AppAdvice - 5/5 - "Crow is one of the best games I have ever played." * App-score.com - 9/10 - "Crow is one of the most visually stunning games I have seen on iOS. The graphics, music, setting and story all result in an amazing experience." * iFanzine - 4/5 - "Crow's world is definitely one of the most compelling I've visited on iOS." * Appolicious Advisor - 5/5 - "Some of the best visuals the iPhone has to offer." * Mactrast.com - 4/5 - "An Immensely Captivating Dark Adventure for iOS" Watch the Official Trailer: http://tinyurl.com/crowtrailer Recommended for the iPad or any recent iPhone/iPod Touch (3gs, iPhone 4, 4s)
    Information
    Seller:Sunside Inc.
    Genre:Action, Adventure
    Release:Apr 12, 2012
    Updated:Dec 19, 2012
    Version:1.21
    Size:270.4 MB
    User Rating: (10)
    Your Rating:unrated
    Compatibility:HD Universal

5. awp69

awp69 Well-Known Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Greenville, SC
    Actually, wasn't it just last week?

6. Master Shake

Master Shake Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    It sure was.

7. GeekyDad

GeekyDad Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2012
    Games Journalist
    Tempted but still gonna pass. The price is fair, but I just can't spare the space. Kinda over all these large games. I know a quarter gig isn't that big compared to, say, Max Payne or Bard's Tale, but still...

Wish them luck, though, as the game itself seems very ambitious for an iOS title.

8. Neehan

Neehan Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2010
    Really enjoyed playing this one, highly recommended.

9. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
    Getting it now. Thanks for the sale. Just got my $50 gc.

10. AnarKitty

AnarKitty Well-Known Member

Oct 10, 2010
    Minneapolis, USA
    The $2.99 sale within a month or two of coming out at $4.99 is almost becoming an iOS trope, at this point. In this case, it's especially welcome to those who held off on the initial release, though I really hope the new sales justify the dev's move. :)

11. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    Funny that just yesterday I was talking with Sanuku and asking if he thought this game would go on sale. I said it's around the time when games have their first sale, he thought they'd keep it up.

I win? :p

12. ColeDaddy

ColeDaddy Silver Supporter<br>Moderator

Mar 20, 2010
    Male
    Sojourner
    Washington D.C.
    Given the sale, we all win! ;) I hope the lowered price point rakes in more mula for the devs.

13. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    I bought this day1. Then I tried the game out. Then I ignored it for a bit to give more time to replaying IB2, ME:I, Run Roo Run and 774 Deaths.

Then... This price cut. Meh.

14. sunsidegames

sunsidegames Well-Known Member

Hey guys I just wanna chime in a bit here:

It's true that the $4.99 price was an experiment and we we're trying to figure this one out. I think we learned a lot with our first iOS title, my takeaway is to always price lower than you think you should. I believe $4.99 is a fair price, but its also true that many gamers don't want to pay a fair price - everyone wants to feel like they got a bargain. That's a normal thing that I sometimes forget to put in perspective.

I can't talk about specific sales but we did pretty good during our first week on the app store, probably about as good as Burnout did in it's launch week. Given how nobody knows about us and the IP is new and different (and many people just don't like things that are different) that's not so bad. But our reality is also that being featured is what drove our sales more than anything. Since feature week is up, we have to try and do something to keep sales going. The reviews are very positive overall, but believe it or not those reviews do not drive sales (sorry people of the web!).

If anyone feels really burned by the $2 change in price, I can personally offer to find a way to fix that for you. Send me an email at crow[@]sunsidegames.com and I would be glad to refund you the difference (we can't prove that you bought a copy but I'll take your word for it), or get you in an early beta for our next game or maybe a free copy of our next game. (Hint: knowing what we know now, that tells you it will be priced lower).

Oh and we do have some nice updates to Crow coming ahead. We will always continue to address issues in the game and improve it.

Thanks all, take care!

Richard Cowgill
    sunsidegames.com

15. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #15 Rip73, Apr 19, 2012
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
    That is an extremely fair response for early adopters. Very much appreciated.
    Still, not gonna look for the difference in price.
    I'm always very happy to buy on launch day at full price, especially for independent developers simply because economics dictate that ye need to make money and judging by your first game, the second game ye make will be even better.
    The idea in the app store that all games should be free, iap, 99c or whatever is the whole problem with the ecosystem and what limits the possibility of AAA games making it in there.
    I was happy to support Madfinger. I supported Firemint when they were independant (still do now because they are very talented). Numerous other games such as Desert Zombies and M.U.S.E. I will be happy to support Action Mobile. And I am still very happy that I supported ye at full price.
    It's a very interesting different game with excellent graphics that breaks the boredom of the same old games that come into the app store. To me, well worth the original price. I hope ye sell in big numbers.
    Good luck with the engine as well.
    Keep up the excellent work.

16. DelBoy2181

DelBoy2181 Well-Known Member

Mar 14, 2011
    London, England
    So what is that drives sales? I always thought it was the number of positive reviews an app gets.

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    I'm fairly sure he means reviews on websites in particular don't drive sales.
    I'm sure reviews on the app store have an affect but app advice had an interesting article that referred to a semi fake app with over 1000 negative reviews that was still in the top 20 in many countries which sorta backs up his point on reviews not having much of an affect on sales.
    Anyway, either way this game is even more of a recommended buy now.

18. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Spoilers perhaps . . .

I'm digging the game. Although I'm stuck at the last boss (I cursed all the others) where I'm knocking off the rock shield, but I don't have the opportunity to attack much before it goes back up. I think I may have been at this part of the battle for 20 minutes. What am I missing here?

19. sladeums

sladeums Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2012
    Omaha, NE
    My method:
    When you get to the 3rd form of the boss, and ya know when the screen goes all red and black and slow mo ?
    At that moment, when you attack, you have to swipe repeatedly, quickly, over and over before the boss recovers. Not just the one quick swipe like you've done for every other enemy in the game.

You may have to repeat that process a couple times.

This was my biggest problem with the game actually cuz that last boss is pretty damn hard, this method is not really hinted it, and it is contradictory to the mechanics the game has taught you throughout.

Hope that helps.

20. smegly

smegly Well-Known Member

Mar 27, 2012
    NY, NY
    Worked. Thanks sladeums!