iPad - Should the Apps Be More Expensive?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Twiddle, Mar 14, 2010.

?

Do you think the iPad apps should be more expensive than the iPhone apps?

1. No, the iPad apps should be at the $0.99-2.99 standard they're at in the iPhone App Store.

40.0%
  2. Yes, they should cost a little bit more, maybe around $3.99-4.99. A little over the $0.99 barrier.

38.3%
  3. Yes, the iPad apps should cost a lot more as long as they're good apps, maybe around $8.99-10.99.

21.7%
  1. Twiddle

Twiddle Well-Known Member

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #1 Twiddle, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2010
    Do you think the iPad Apps and Games should get over that $0.99 pricing curve? (USD currency)

I personally think that most games and apps in the iPad App Store should be over $4.99, because it is a bigger console and the big screen can really bring professional games to the table that the iPod Touch and iPhone can't, and limiting games to cheap prices really lowers the quality of the games, and on a device like the iPad, the games need to be high quality, as a $500 dollar device shouldn't be crowded with cheap, unprofessional games. Quite honestly, I think the great games on the iPad could fairly cost upwards of $20 dollars.

What do you think? Do you agree with me? (I'll happily debate, as it can often lead to understanding things I wouldn't learn myself)

Don't be trolling this thread, be respectful.

2. acidshaman

acidshaman Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    I didn't vote because I don't think the apps should be more expensive, but I think that the iPad should have serious games, just like the iPhone, which should be priced appropriatley..

If I see a 300 hour Morrowind I will pay $40 easily

3. Will090

Will090 Well-Known Member

If they're worth the asking price, yes. If it is a DS or PSP quality it shouldn't be more than $20 due to lack of hardware, shipping, and other costs and no resale value. Same deal for console quality, shouldn't be over $40-50

4. Khamous

Khamous Well-Known Member

Aug 15, 2009
    No they wont be higher, yes they should be a bit higher. I do believe the top pricing (premium) will rise, other than that I wouldnt expect major changes.

5. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
    They might start out a little higher, but no they will come down, and stay down. If your getting 10 sales a day at $10 and not in the top app's list, but you go on sale for $4.99 and sell 3,000 copies and go onto the top app's, would you keep it that way, or would you increase to $10 again?

6. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    I agree. :D

I hope that the pricing will increase at least a little. Think about it this way, mostly people with more money to spend will be buying the iPad, so maybe the pricing can be higher up and still have just as many buyers. I'm hoping, because that way the quality games will be pushed to the top of the App Store, not just the cheapest. :)

7. Kamazar

Kamazar Well-Known Member

Dec 13, 2008
    It depends on how the devs set-up the market. If they all begin at a $5 minimum and don't move down from there (I mean this in broad, general terms, naturally, there'll be a couple simple apps that hit $1-$3), prices will stay relatively high compared to the AppStore. The consumers should be able to accept this paradigm since they think that since the iPad is a premium product (at least more than an iPod), they'll expect premium software at premium prices. Just depends.

8. madmud101

madmud101 Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2009
    I think that we will still get $99/59p apps (probably less of them) but then get more premium apps that might go up to $15-$20, but it doesn't matter how big the screen is, it's how good the game is. If it's low level then it will be $99, if not then more.

9. nazara_tech

nazara_tech Well-Known Member

Apr 17, 2009
    project manage
    India
    Yes, they should cost a little bit more than one dollar.

10. playn

playn Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Australia
    depends what kind of games come to iPad. most of the games at the start will be the current types of games which shouldnt be higher prices because all its doing is getting made bigger in screen size. thats all

specially made games with awesome work done to it? sure! price it $20 if its worth it

11. Serpentdivine

Serpentdivine Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Ipad Games

From what I have read the Ipad is basically a bigger (slightly faster) ipod touch.

I don't see why the apps should cost more for that device than they do for the ipod; though I am sure many developers will enter the market trying for a higher price point.

I believe that after the intial slew of early adapters, time and volume of the apps available will result in a situation similar to (if not identical) to the current idevice market.

This is a good thing for the consumer. One of the reasons I use my touch and NOT my PSP is the volume of cheap games.

12. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    It is good and bad. It's good for the consumer, but it's bad for the developer, unless of course they hit the top charts with the cheap app. When a lot of really big companies see that the pricing only ranges from 0.99-2.99, they either (A) Totally blow off the idea of creating quality games on the iPod or (B) Make an 'okay' game for iPod, why would they waste time making a quality game if it's only going to sell for a dollar? Honestly? They could just create a game for the PSP and make it quality... then sell it for $20-40!

13. Sinecure Industries

Sinecure Industries Well-Known Member

I believe that if the quality of the apps rise so should the prices. If you're talking a DS-like game with a lot of content, there's no reason for the price not to be higher.

The people using the iPhone are incredibly spoiled with all of the great content they get for so cheap but I think the iPad is a do-over in terms of pricing. The question is, will the majority of developers drive prices back down to almost nothing again? We'll see.

Sinecure Industries is working on some stuff for the iPad and we plan on pricing a bit higher, but we're delivering a lot more than we would put into an iPhone game, so, it makes sense. I think demos will play a big part in the higher tier pricing since most developers are unknown folks, best to let people try before they plunk down cash on a gamble, no?

14. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    #14 Twiddle, Mar 16, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010
    Just curious, but if the market of the iPad shadows that of the iPhones, do you plan on going back to the lower price?

And if you do plan on going back to the lower price, how will this take a toll on the apps quality?

Last question, but what range of prices do you plan on your apps being? (ideally)

(E.g. $8.99-9.99, USD Currency)

15. Mathieu914

Mathieu914 Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2009
    Student
    Canada, Québec
    All is depending on which app you're talking about. If this is only a iPhone app copy and paste on iPad, then no.

16. wootbean

wootbean Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2009
    the next whiskey bar
    true, for apps that are the same as iPhone/iPT ones I don't see why they should be priced higher.
    only apps deisgned specifically for the iPad or enhanced versions of existing apps should be

17. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Quite honestly, I don't think there is really any game that should only be a dollar in the App Store, with a few exceptions.

18. KGameLover1

KGameLover1 Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Student
    Ohio
    You're right.

19. Bok Choy

Bok Choy Well-Known Member

Sep 19, 2009
    Student
    Definitely not.

20. Twiddle

Dec 12, 2009
    Shop Lifter
    In your basement.
    Why not? Scared to pay a little more for a great game? :)