Original Windows 95 Game called "Descent"

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Howard, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    I used to love an old Windows 95 space shooter called Descent. Just wondering if anyone knows if a similar game exists for the iPhone?

Thanks,
    Howard

2. Advancedcaveman

Jul 23, 2010
    #2 Advancedcaveman, Sep 14, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
    There are a few 3d spaceship games like Galaxy on Fire, StarPagga, and Station Defense but they're dogfighting games without discrete levels like Descent. They're more like Descent Freespace or Wing Commander or something; you fly around in empty space for 45 minutes shooting at little radar blips with pew pew lasers and generic missiles as opposed to Descent where you go through different levels fighting all sorts of enemies and using fun weapons.

There are also lots of 2d space shooters ranging from dual stick games to scrolling shoot em ups to variants on asteroids but I'm assuming you want a 3d, 1st/3rd person spaceship game if you're looking for something like Descent. The best 2d spaceship game on the app store is Space Miner: Space Ore Bust.

3. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Thank you. I will give them a try.

4. ninjackid

ninjackid Well-Known Member

May 27, 2010
    Meteor blitz is also a great dual-stick space shooter.

5. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    The original Descent was all about navigating mine shafts, I'd put Isotope or Anomaly closer to Descent than Meteor Blitz for a dual-stick shooter.

Crisis on Mars feels a lot like Descent minus the combat, but it's a fairly dull game.

Tankz is kinda generic as well, (and is a hovertank game) but has a similar combat feel to Descent (if you were in a 2D plane)

I haven't played Spectre 3D on the iPhone, but should also be similar (again a 3D game in a 2D plane)

I'd highly recommend Galaxy on Fire (and the sequel when it arrives) for a game similar to Descent Freespace.

6. Howard

Howard Well-Known Member

Dec 24, 2008
    Thanks again guys. I remember, I really enjoyed that first person feeling in the old Windows game.