Breakdown: X2 2010 vs PES 2010

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by kiranb28, Jun 30, 2010.

1. kiranb28

kiranb28 Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2010
    Everyone's been giving their reasons as to why PES is better than X2, or vice versa - but for someone who's trying to make a decision on buying either-or, there's not a lot of supporting detail to help them decide.

After enjoying PES since the day I purchased it (for 1.99, muahahaha ;P), I immediately fell for the game in almost every way possible. Being someone who just likes to play Exhibition matches on the go (instead of trying out different game modes), I agree with the people who find PES lacking there as well as the absence of a multiplayer component - but for me, these features never (and won't, in the future) matter.

(whew, long sentence)

I decided to take X2 for a spin yesterday after a long hiatus from playing it. Mind you, I absolutely loved X2 before I ever got PES - the gameplay, passing, replays, weather, they all just fell together into one complete package. So I'm going to break down my impressions based on several points; I don't know how the comparison's going to be, i'm kind of doing this impromptu.

Mind you - the below focuses on core gameplay and not the games' bells and whistles. Here we go!

Graphics: PES-3, X2-2
    Field - X2
    Textures make the field pop, PES' is dull. Simple.

Players - PES
    Obvious - no explanation needed.

Environment - X2
    Virtual rain and snow make me happy.

Animations - PES
    No contest, everything moves a lot better in PES.

Ball Physics - PES
    The speed, trajectory and rebounds are far superior to those of X2's.

Sound: PES-1, X2-1
    Commentary - X2
    Love it.

In-game Atmosphere - PES
    Love it. Crowd is livelier, louder and seems more reactive when big moments in the game come up.

Gameplay: X2-5, PES-4
    Speed - PES
    Feels more natural than X2's. This one's objective - some may like PES' faster gameplay, some might prefer X2's.

Passing - X2
    The response time between WANTING to pass and actually passing is much better in X2. I can be running towards a ball with a defender right on my tail, with my intention being to 'touch-pass' the ball to my teammate 10 feet away as soon as I reach the ball. X2 - I press and hold the pass button a second before I reach the ball, and my player will flawlessly execute the pass as soon as he reaches the ball. PES? He'll reach the ball, decide to stop, turn his back towards the defender, then awkwardly pass it (by the time, the ball is probably stripped from my possession).

Through Balls - PES
    They just feel better - the ball actually travels in front of the teammate I intend to pass to, while I can't seem to get this to happen in X2.

Headers - PES
    Passing the ball across the field, header to header to header, felt real. It's not giving me that same response in X2.

Dribbling/Running - PES
    Oh how I love running past people in PES. Feels exhilarating when I beat my defenders or dribble around them. X2 feels a bit boring in this sense.

'Special' Moves - X2
    PES - please do something about this... meh.

Defending - X2
    Right now, this goes to X2 by default (manual player switching).

Goalkeeper IQ - X2
    PES goalies are tube-lights - turn on the switch, flicker for a few seconds, then turn on. X2's goalies do a better job on the hardest difficulty level.

Shooting - X2
    This has a lot to do with the 'response time', similar to passing. When I press and hold the shoot button, SHOOT damnit! Don't dilly-dally and then shoot.

Fun Factor and Overall Decision
    I don't know how to say it, but I can't 'choose' one game over the other.

I have a lot of fun playing PES, and I have a lot of fun playing X2. Both games bring different things to the table, and both of them are honestly, equally fun. In reality, I actually DO play 2-3 games of PES, followed by a couple of games of X2.

The one point I would make to those who have to choose one over another: if you prefer faster gameplay which is a bit more arcade-like, get PES. If you're more into planning your attack and strategizing carefully, get X2.

Game on! If you guys would like to share anything (or your own views/breakdown of the above), please feel free.

2. The prez 12521

The prez 12521 Well-Known Member

Aug 17, 2009
    School
    USA
  3. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Thanks. I was debating posting it there or here, actually. I wasn't aiming to post a review, but to rather spark a discussion based on comparing the two, something which has been done on other threads here too.

Either-or, it's all good :)

4. exalep

exalep Well-Known Member

Apr 14, 2009
    What really really annoys me about PES is that when I pass to someone, I don't want them to stand there for 1 second doing nothing. If I pass to someone I expect them to do something...Not just stand there so that the defender can get closer..

5. kiranb28

Mar 17, 2010
    Exactly what I mentioned in my post. The more I play, the more frustrating it gets to effectively be able to pass the ball around the field.

6. don_k

don_k Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2008
    #6 don_k, Jun 30, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2010
    Distant relative? =o
    http://forums.toucharcade.com/showthread.php?t=57887
    But nice breakdwon :)

For me, it can be summarised to contents (x2) vs gameplay (pes), depending on what matters most to you. It's definitely gameplay for me!! Otherwise FIFA 10 would come second after X2 :D

Practise more. I was initially frustrated with that as well until I get the hang of it. Now I can move the ball around without having to wait 1 second before doing something. It's all in the timing.