Brawn GP Racing by Fishlabs

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ringring, Jun 14, 2009.

1. ringring

ringring Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2009
    #1 ringring, Jun 14, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2009
  2. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    Awesome thread, make more :p

3. greenhornet9

greenhornet9 Well-Known Member

Jan 22, 2009
    lol! :D

4. Slapshot

Slapshot Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2009
  5. Fletch

Fletch Well-Known Member

Jan 14, 2009
    The Internet
    $3.99 for one race track? Sounds like it could be the worst deal in the app store.

6. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    ONE TRACK!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: *screams*

7. PDJApps

PDJApps Well-Known Member

May 18, 2009
    Wow, I want this!

Formula 1 is an awesome sport!

8. Slapshot

Jun 12, 2009
    Yeah, but it only has 1 track! :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

9. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    I know! I'll buy it simply because I'm a fan... I'm one of THOSE people :D

I have a feeling they'll make many sales because of the F1 name. Although $4 is a tad steep! Well very steep actually, unless they plan on adding more tracks, OR if the simulator is VERY good! I'd love to go round and round trying to perfect my lap...

10. ringring

Apr 15, 2009
    sry, first wanted to post the pocketgamer link, but thought TA wouldn't like that.. :D

11. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I read the slide to play stuff about this app and it sounds like they are just giving us a unique made circuit to time trial around and post scores online for what seems to be an expensive price for such things, The F1 and Brawn name's alone will probably sell the app to a lot of people despite the price so eh, money grabbing for what it's worth.

I will pass.

12. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    If BMW is coming with something similar at the same time people will look a lot closer at contents. 1 track without competitors on screen is not much... I guess it will be about best qualifying lap time posted online, with a new track released with each new GP of the season or something like that, but it still doesn't make for much of a game at that price... let's wait and see the details of gameplay. I agree a F1 game is overdue and would tempt quite a few people probably.

13. romulus

romulus Well-Known Member

Mar 30, 2009
    If you read the article it says they are introducing more tracks and functionality as the F1 season progresses...

14. 'Jeep

'Jeep Well-Known Member

Dec 19, 2008
    U.K.
    3 "fantasy" tracks, and gameplay limited to solo qualifying, more "online bragging" stuff... Pass

15. monkeychilde

monkeychilde New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Disclosure: I am working for the publisher company of Brawn GP Racing.

I hear the comments about the price -vs- number of tracks, and I can understand where you guys are coming from. The pocketgamer review, sadly, missed one very important feature of the app: you will be able to compete to win a real car! So, the "qualifying" track is in fact about entering the contest to win a Mercedes.

So, the unique feature of the game is no so much in the number of tracks that you can play in, but that it's a "play for real" competition. The better you do in the game (lap time) the more chances you have to win a real-world sport car.

Of course my opinion is pretty biased, but I think the game's quality is excellent and it will stand out among similar racing games available for the iphone at the moment. I believe that when you (hopefully) get and play the game, you will not feel that it's not worth its price. Also, depending on how much value you attach to the (not common in most games) ability to win a real prize by being good at it, you may find that it's actually a pretty good deal.

I would like to stress that the reason I'm stepping in this thread is not to add "marketing propaganda", but to clarify things and provide insider info that I think is relevant to your discussion.

I would very much welcome your feedback on this. Does the "play for real" competition element add value or make it more attractive? Especially for the people who thought the price is too high, did this new information make you think "oh, in that case the price makes sense" or does it not make any difference at all for you? I'm honestly interested to find out what you think of it, which is how I arrived in this forum in the first place.

16. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    A chance to win a car is definitely appealing... to me the quality of the simulator is important, because if it feels too much like an arcade game i wouldn't play it, but then I don't play NFS for that very reason and yet many people seem to love it *shrug* I feel if it's F1 it should be for people who know what a racing line is...

17. ringring

Apr 15, 2009
    when will it be available? tonight? :D

for me the opportunity to win a real car is not decisive but for sure it adds challenge to the game. but as a F1 fan i would buy it anyway. ;-)

18. monkeychilde

monkeychilde New Member

Jun 15, 2009
    I wish I had a yes-or-no answer to that. But I think you will agree with me that there's a very big spectrum between pure arcade and pure simulation, and it's pretty hard to label a game as one or the other. It really comes down to where each gamer finds himself on that spectrum. Something that is "too arcade" for me may be "acceptably realistic/immersive" to someone else.

Brawn GP Racing will be more towards the simulation end of the spectrum, but of course it has a certain level of simplification that comes with the iphone platform. It's not NFS-type arcade gameplay. On the other hand the level of detail in the simulation is also limited by the fact that it's on a mobile device. Our effort was to make a game where it feels like you're driving an F1 car, not F1-coloured pixels. It feels like that to me, but your personal tastes and expectations may be different.

19. PDJApps

May 18, 2009
    Sounds good to me. I wouldn't expect gran turismo realism.

A chance to win a car is cool :) AMG???