If you can't handle the heat, stay out of the kitchen.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by GKDAIR, Feb 9, 2014.

1. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Member

Apr 20, 2013
    This whole Flappy Bird phenomenon is just getting downright crazy.

Many, well pretty much everybody I know who's in the gaming industry would absolutely cry tears of joy if their game even managed to crack the top 100.

Here this guy gets #1 with a game that is explosively addicting and has some of the most hilarious reviews ever, and he becomes an emotional crybaby and removes the app. Yes, because removing the app will magically make everything go away.

"I never asked for this" Bullcrap. You're telling me you made a video game hoping it wouldn't get any attention? Pathetic.

I don't care where you come from or what you do, but you are a disgrace to the industry with this Diva hissy fit you just threw.

2. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    He couldn't handle the heat. He got out of the kitchen. Not sure why you still have a beef with him.

3. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Member

Apr 20, 2013
    He's a disgrace to every one of the hard working people out there who put their blood, sweat, and tears into a project only to have it drown in the sea of endless clones and crappy freemium titles that litter the app store that only dream of getting a #1 title.

He's a sissy little diva who shouldn't even be in the industry if this is how he's going to act.

Iron Pants has become the "new" Flappy Bird, and that developer is going to be more than happy to take the following.

His name is known, he'll never be able to work in the industry again. He won't be able to put out another game without it rising to the top and being discussed endlessly. His career in this industry is over.

4. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Member

Apr 20, 2013
    I still wager this is ultimately a publicity stunt and he just doesn't want to admit it.

5. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
    Don't blame him, blame the appstore.

6. Bronxsta

Bronxsta Well-Known Member

#6 Bronxsta, Feb 9, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2014
    Well you can say that because you haven't been in that situation, haven't had a global audience focused on you, commenting on you, vying for your attention, spewing hate at you 24/7 . I think peace of mind should come first, and if the guy felt like he was going crazy under the pressure and avalanche of attention and hateful comments, he should be commended for doing what's best for himself. He didn't want to make millions. Making games isn't always about making money. For some, it's just a passion or hobby, and not having a worldwide spotlight glaring down on you or attracting the kinds of despicable comments I saw on the dev's Twitter page

So you just so know, you don't have to be an insensitive jerk towards the guy and his situation.

7. cloudpuff

cloudpuff Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2013
    lazy layabout
    uk
    #7 cloudpuff, Feb 9, 2014
    Some Gamers and devs seemed angry, annoyed pissed off and jealous that it did well, now they are angry, pissed off and jealous that he's removed it.

People liked the game, people hated the game. Thing is it's his game, his life and his choice. People need to get a grip and stop being so jealous, stop the childish name calling and focus on their own lives.

Edit, wonder if the devs who posted insults and name calling at various places online, have considered that potential customers are reading and making impressions on you.

8. backtothis

backtothis im in ur base killin ur d00dz
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 13, 2009
    college student (junior)
    Houston/Austin, TX
  9. Coldar

Coldar Well-Known Member

Dec 26, 2008
    Upstate NY/USA
    First you say the dev is a disgrace to the industry for having a hissy fit but then later post you think its a publicity stunt. Your comments don't jive and your fearless rantings are only bolstered because its riding on a crest of what other like minded insensitive sheep are doing.

10. Bronxsta

11. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Again, he couldn't handle the heat. He got out of the kitchen. The case is closed, according to the title you gave to this thread.

Not everyone develops games to get rich and famous. For some people it's just a hobby, and I can see being overwhelmed by all the attention.

@Gov: blame the App Store for what? He made a game and people liked it. I don't see what the App Store has to do with that beyond providing a market.

12. CygnetSeven

CygnetSeven Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2010
  13. spader623

spader623 Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2014
    But... He has money. Other people don't. He can #deal with it. Death threats? People trashing the game and probably him? Having to deal with friends/family just wanting money from him? He gots money. Money > everything else, (this is heavy sarcasm in case anyone can't understand)

On a more serious note, NONE of us can judge him because were not in his situation. Yes, it's COMPLETELY possible he's overreacting... To you. To him, maybe all this attention and people harassing him isn't worth the money/kinda game. So he's quitting. Good for him. Unfortunantely this will take a little bit to blow over :/

14. Gov

Gov Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2013
  15. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Judging by his previous posts he likes to have quite heated discussions!

I'm no fan of flappy bird (a dire game) but I'm equally not bothered what the dev does with it. Can't believe the number of casual gamers who seem to be playing this when there's thousands of far better apps available out there

16. GKDAIR

GKDAIR Member

Apr 20, 2013
    This guys logic just makes no sense.

So is he going to create crappy games now? I'm just not understanding what this Diva wants.

And freaking cry me a river, personal insults and death threats over the internet? Even I have gotten those. Heck, I published an article over gay marriage in my local paper and I got death threats over it.

17. Bronxsta

#17 Bronxsta, Feb 9, 2014
    We're not talking about you. How you react to stuff doesn't matter here

18. zdn1042

zdn1042 Well-Known Member

May 10, 2013
    Although I don't really understand his decision to pull out Flappy Bird from the AppStore at all. Maybe it's time to just respect his decision and hope that he gets the peace that he's looking for.

19. squarezero

squarezero Moderator

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Just a head's up: getting freaked out by death threats is the normal human reaction. The fact that you can be so cavalier about it suggests that you have allowed the internet to twist your brain in very sad ways.

20. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Did it occur to anyone else that this guy might have some mental or emotional problems?

I got that impression from playing the game, before any of this happened. His reaction hasn't done anything to change that.

I don't mean that as an insult, I really don't. Please don't take it that way. But the games, and the reaction to notoriety, struck me like that...