Funny Little Man (first look)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by creature, Dec 10, 2009.

1. creature

creature Active Member

Hi all,

In my spare time I've knocked up a little ascii-based platformer with tilt controls ala doodle jump.

I'm hoping to draw inspiration from the BBS\ANSI ART scene from the 1990's for my final art (which will hopefully look a little better than the current WIP).

Since I'm working on other apps for a living, this is a bit of a labor of love. If there's any interest for something like this though, I might step things up.

Let me know what you think.

Cheers,

Scott.

2. Remmykins

Remmykins Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2009
    Have you tested this out on a device yet? It looks like it may be a little too small to control. It does look fun though.

3. eggzbacon

eggzbacon Well-Known Member

May 17, 2009
    The Golden State
    Looks fun, but it DOES look too small

4. creature

creature Active Member

Thanks for the feedback.

The ascii tiles actually look very crisp on the iphone.

The player is quite small at 8x12 pixels, though you can make his details out, and since he's just a ball anyway it doesn't affect gameplay.

That said though, I'm not married to the small tiles... they're easy enough to change. I might do some experiments in tile size.

Cheers,

Scott.

5. Devilishly Good

Devilishly Good Well-Known Member

May 1, 2009
    The Underworld
    looks like it has potential especially with the retro graphics

6. flargus

flargus Active Member

Mar 13, 2009
    Ha! is that Mr. T?
    Anyway, looks very interesting, i like how the things dissapear when you touch em

7. sebasterbator

sebasterbator Well-Known Member

haha, i laughed at the mr T head.

and is that blood around the heads mouth?

8. creature

creature Active Member

Haha yeah, punched in the mouth blood. :D

Scott.

9. sebasterbator

sebasterbator Well-Known Member

what? who would punch him in the mouth? and he's still smiling....

I personally thought he just fed upon fresh human being, feasting atop the still warm stomach of his victim.

He just seems like that sort of guy ya know?

10. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    If I had my way, this would be more successful than Doodle Jump. I think the size will be alright as long as the graphics are displayed 1:1. I'm not really digging the death animation with all the blood, I think just having the "character" flash would be more faithful and retro, but the modern crowd probably wouldn't like it.

Have you played "Roland In The Caves"? Your game is giving me a really similar vibe, I absolutely loved that game although I was only about 5 and probably never passed the first level... it's known for being pretty damn difficult. Video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9FtbSaXEMFk

Anyway, this stuff is what keeps me alive, so please don't stop! If you need any help with testing/level design/ideas/etc please don't hesitate to send a PM my way, cause I'd love to see this thing get off the ground (pun kind of intended) :)