Dead Space vs Shadowgun

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Whiteplayer3d, Sep 28, 2011.

1. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    *****Dead Space vs Shadowgun*****

BIG BATTLE

What is your favourite, and why? :)

2. Whiteplayer3d

Whiteplayer3d Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2010
    Czech Republic
    Better:

Graphics- 1:1
    Music and sounds- Dead Space
    Story and atmosphere- Dead Space
    Animations and effects- 1:1
    Controls- Dead Space
    Cut-scenes- Shadowgun

3. Echoseven

Echoseven Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Jul 19, 2011
    The red Skittle
    I disagree on controls, I think it's 1:1!

Sure Dead Space's were fine out of the box (mostly) but after some tinkering I would never say ShadowGun is any worse.

I can't comment on Music/sounds and Story/atmosphere as I haven't played much of Dead Space yet, but as far as the rest goes you got it spot on.

4. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Dead Space as I haven't tried Shadowgun, but I bet Shadowgun is really close to it!

5. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    The title of the thread should be Dead Space and Shadowgun. The games are way too different to pit them one against the others, and any iOS action gamer should get both.

But if you are going to compare, let me throw a few things into the mix:

*Graphically there's no comparison. Dead Space is a series of sterile hallways. Shadowgun has mult-tier levels with highly detailed texture and tons of incidental animation. The color scheme of Dead Space is essentially monochromatic, while Shadowgun makes excellent use of greens, reds, and blues. The world of Dead Space looke brand new, while Shadowgun looks worn and believably decayed.

*Dead Space's controls work because the game is, frankly, so slow. The use of tilt, weapon switching, and particularly reloading are pretty darn awkward. The use of the suit as a virtual controller ads to the atmosphere, but it's not ideal as far as UI is concerned.

*Shadowgun's campaign is about twice as long as Dead Space's. It's also better paced, IMO.

I love survival horror games, so DS has a special place in my heart. But objectively, I find Shadowgun the more impressive achievement.

6. TheFrost

TheFrost Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2010
    Whiteplayer method is good, so....

Graphics - 1:1
    Music and sounds - Dead Space
    Story and atmosphere- Dead Space
    Gameplay - Dead Space
    Animations and effects - 1:1
    Controls - 1:1
    Cut-scenes - 1:1
    Polish: Dead Space

(only played Shadowgun for a while, didnt finished it yet, like i did with Dead Space....)

7. spidey

spidey Well-Known Member

Jun 24, 2010
    India
    My comments on Deadspace. Haven't played Shadowgun, so can't really compare.

Graphics, Animations and effects --- Honestly, Dead Space was crisp and gorgeous, but Shadowgun offers a lot more, going by the vids so far. Dead space had very few elements. Aliens sprung up once in a while, and there were other objects which did have animation elements... but that's about it.

Story and atmosphere- Dead Space --- This should certainly be true. Dead Space was phenomenal on atmosphere.

Gameplay - --- Can't comment till I have played Shadowgun. Deadspace was quite good. However, DeadSpace was slow in terms of sheer action. At times it felt a lot like a DSS as far as gameplay is concerned, i.e. where you have to dispel waves of enemies when you got locked-in somewhere. I prefer action packed gameplay of the more typical FPS/TPS where you have to breach a guarded area using a combination of stealth and pureblood ammo-spewing.

Controls --- Don't know about shadowgun, but Deadspace weapons handling was no fun. It required tapping all over and switching weapons and all those things was difficult. I really hope Shadowgun is better.

8. HardcoreEricXXX

HardcoreEricXXX Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Virginia
    Why haven't you already bought Dead Space at 99c? Then you wouldn't have this conflict.

9. julzsantana15

julzsantana15 Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I like both games a lot, but Dead Space is my choice.

Shadowgun's campaign is awesome to play, for a good 3-4 hours though. No replay value after that. Same with Dead Space when it was first released, even though it me took me a lot longer to beat it. So I'll just compare them by campaigns. Both games are pretty par with graphics, controls, voice work, animations, blah. The only real difference I felt from each other were the campaigns.

Dead Space really does it's job: Scare the sh!t out of people with an awesome and creepy story. You get sucked into it, the story drives you to want to finish the game, and it's also filled with some twists that'll catch you by suprise.

Shadowgun has a good campaign, the story's average, not all that special. but it's just the kiss ass gameplay that really make it's shine. Its fun to go berserk and insane on a bunch of enemies with number of weapons.

Dead Space does better on storyline and atmosphere, where Shadowgun does better at going ape sh!t. So I have to give the edge to Dead Space.