Thoughts on upcoming survival game?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Osmiral, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    #1 Osmiral, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    This game will not involve zombies in anyway even though it's a survival shooter type game (just thought I'd make that clear as the stereotype survival shooter game seems oriented around zombies). But anyway,

1. I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on wether you preffered to earn money and buy new weapons while your playing or just have them dropped by enemies randomly along with ammo when you reach a certain wave?

2. Do you guys prefer a wave based survival game (like CoD:Zombies) or just to have the enemies keep coming (like Minigore)?

3. One last question, do you guys like to have random bosses/mini-bosses appear in different stages or just along with the rest of the enemies?

Thanks for your input :) (to those that respond).

Also here's a glimpse at some of the enemies included in the game.

Attached Files:

2. K?!

K?! Well-Known Member

Nov 5, 2010
    alea iacta est
    1. I get a better sense of achievement when I struggle and save to buy a good weapon. It also get's very annoying when you just can't get enemies to drop what you need despite playing forever (like you get three max ammo drops in COD: Zombies within one round and then no more for twenty rounds).

2. Even minigore has rounds, separated by bosses. Most games need rounds of some sort so you can buy weapons, heal your characters, ect. Or at least breaks for a few seconds.

3. It is very challenging to fight both bosses and normal enemies at the same time. Bug Heroes gives you three+ mini-bosses and a normal slew of enemies in some waves and it's very hard to manage.

3. Osmiral

Osmiral Well-Known Member

Nov 19, 2009
    Thanks, so I'll wait to here what more people say but I'm pretty sure I'll be going with buying the weapons and ammo instead of having it drop as that's how I prefer it to. Yeah with the minigore description I meant like before minigore got it's bosses. It's always been my personal belief that the more challenging the better, but I'll wait to here more peoples views before I decide on that.

4. Paradiso

Paradiso Well-Known Member

#4 Paradiso, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2011
    I like the character models, and I do like me some good endless survival games. I don't really care if it has zombies or not if it's fun, but it is nice to see a change.

My favorite endless shooting game is a flash game, I don't remember the name right now. It did use zombies, but it had a very deep weapon upgrade system, where you earn money and access a store after every wave. I think it worked so well because the weapons were so varied. Gun B wasn't just a pallete swap of Gun A. There were at least 15 weapons, arranged by type, and the prices seemed really high at first, but the gameplay was good enough that you actually wanted to keep playing to unlock the pulse laser, or the next best SMG.

The way Minigore does it is good for that type of game, more casual and fast paced, but with little strategy. I prefer more replay value though, and a longer game, where you have to choose your weapons and ammo wisely if you wanna make it to the next wave.

As for bosses, there should be strategy to each one specifically, rather than just a ton of HP to chip away at. If it feels playable and fun having the boss in with the regular enemies, then it should be that way. Same goes for having the boss separate from them. Whatever has the right feel when your actually playing the game.

It seems like you may be talking about a more casual game though, so either way would work well, as long as you have incentive to keep playing for more than just a high score.

Every good endless survival game I've played has:
    -decent graphics
    -polished core gameplay
    -varied weapons and characters
    -incentive to keep playing (unlocking guns, specials, backgrounds, enemies, etc.)

Hope this helps :)