Doom for iOS level changing.

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Darkus, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    So I've recently taken up playing the Doom release on the AppStore out of boredom and nostalgia.

Of course, having beat the original countless times years ago. I pretty much breezed through the levels.
    So, using iFile, I switched the .wad file with the one for Doom 2. Which, to my surprise worked rather well.
    But again, having played these levels countless times, they posed no challenge. (And reminded me how bad some of the levels were...Really, 17-Suburbs?)

However, having never gotten far in the 2 Final Doom levels packs, I tried transfering them next.
    This time, the levels loaded...but the textures were mostly missing.
    It had always been my understanding back as a kid playing with level editors, the textured were also stored in the .wad files.

Google provided no help (support for iPhone games is still laughably small, GameFAQs iPhone section is a perfect example of this.)
    The only things I found in my searches were an old forum thread with a dead link to a tutorial, followed by people thanking them for allowing them to play their favorite old custom wads, along with screenshots showing off obvious custom textures.

Is there some trick to this besides uploading the levels packs and renaming them? Or am I missing some key detail here...?

2. fusermarucs

fusermarucs Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2010
    Interesting - I'm assuming you are running a Jailbroken phone?
    I wont be any help I'm just wondering if I could pull the same trick so I can play Doom 2!!

3. Darkus

Darkus Well-Known Member

Feb 13, 2009
    Oh. Hi.
    Of course. No reason not to jailbreak! lol
    But yes, just get the official doom2.wad from a copy of the game. (The Doom collections only like $20 on Steam.) and transfer the .wad to private/var/mobile/Applications/Doom/doom.app/base directory, rename the existing doom.wad to something else. (Or just delete it, I
    keep it to switch between levels pack. I'm currently attempting a Nightmare run. It hurts man.)
    Then rename doom2.wad to doom.wad (caps matter. all lowercase.)
    And play.
    Just note that the level selection breaks, you can only select the first few levels, but all levels work in progression, or using the idclev## cheat.

4. LBG

LBG SeƱor Member

Apr 19, 2009
    nada ilegal
    31.560499, -111.904128
    I remember doing that when it was first released. I installed a goldeneye wad file which made it look like this:

[​IMG]

5. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    With the Goldeneye version, are the enemies human and are there other levels included?