The August 2017 RPG Reload Play-Along: Chrono Trigger

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Shaun Musgrave, Jul 27, 2017.

1. Shaun Musgrave

Shaun Musgrave Well-Known Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Freelance writer, teacher, business owner
    Ibaraki, Japan
    Hello, gentle readers, and welcome to the RPG Reload Play-Along. Each month, we'll be playing an iOS RPG together, sharing laughs and tears in equal measures. The post on the front page is basically here to announce the game in question and give a few tips on getting started. The real action will be happening here in the TouchArcade forums, where you'll find a thread dedicated to each month's featured game. Sign up if you haven't already, post your screenshots, ask for advice, or just chat about your misadventures with others. We've got a great community of RPG fans here at TouchArcade, so let's make the most of it!

We're just coming off our huge two-month Play-Along of Final Fantasy 5. Some players went ahead with a normal run in June, while others took advantage of the annual Final Fantasy 5 Four Job Fiesta to play the game with some special, more challenging conditions. Even though July isn't technically finished yet, I feel like just about everyone is done by now. If you're not, by all means keep on playing. But I'm sure our more avid Reloaders are ready for something new to bite on, so we're going to get going with the August game. Thanks to everyone for participating, and I hope you'll join in again!

Given the length and difficulty of the last game for many of our Reloaders, I've decided to go with something a little lighter, a little easier, and a lot more linear for the August game. Commemorating its North American release on August 11th 1995, this month's selection is the legendary Chrono Trigger. A time-traveling adventure originally released by Square Enix on Nintendo's 16-bit Super NES, it takes you on a journey to save the world from an apocalyptic event that occurs in the future. Some call it the best JRPG ever created, and while I'm not sure I would personally go that far, I can't deny it's got something special in its fuel tank.

As usual, all you need to do to join in is to grab any version of the game and head on in to this thread. Don't have a forum account? What? How did you even find this? Get one now, then head back in to the thread and introduce yourself. It's a one-stop shop to share your adventures, get advice, or just chat in general about this landmark game. Don't forget to post screenshots if you can!

2. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    I'm in!

Attached Files:

3. falcon815

falcon815 Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I'm in with the DS version. Chrono Trigger isn't my favorite RPG ever, but it's really, REALLY good, and I'll take a flimsy excuse to play it again. One thing I like about it is that just about any party combination is viable. My first time through, I mostly kept to the first three characters you get and was a magic-heavy team. Since then, I've favored a more physical approach, tending toward using Ayla as much as possible, even to the point of keeping her permanently berserked for random battles. What will I do this time? Hmm...

4. pluizje

pluizje Member

Jun 3, 2017
    Ow yeah let's go!

5. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Yeah I've been trying to think of a way to make it interesting too. Going solo is difficult because everyone revives after every battle. I've read about using the mop as a weapon for the entire game or using only starting equipment. I'm not sure yet. Anyone have a suggestion?

6. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    I'll have to think about that a little, RHess, I'm not familiar with challenge games in CT.

Over work breaks today, I zipped through the first portions of the game and have taken a break at the
    End of Time
    . That first boss was rougher than I remember. Had to fight it three times before I could finally keep up with its healing. Probably could have used one more level in the runup to that, but I squeaked through at level 6.

Since then, though, it's been a breeze, mostly by skipping random battles wherever possible and going nuts with MP-consuming abilities if I actually do run into a fight. Wish Marle would learn Ice already so she could be a better attacker, though I did find a decent crossbow for her in one of the factories I went through.

7. borb86

borb86 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2012
    The wait is over! So excited to finally play this game for the first time.

8. Onikage725

Onikage725 Well-Known Member

Jun 27, 2011
    I just got my iPod fixed and downloaded this. It is unbearably fugly on iPad, but looks well enough on the smaller screen.

9. falcon815

Jul 11, 2013
    Chemist
    Indianapolis
    Derp, that's where you get magic, falc, geez. How long has it been since I've played Chrono Trigger that I forgot?

(Release Date: November 2008)

...yeah, it's been too long.

10. nkx

nkx Well-Known Member

May 9, 2015
    One my favourite RPGs beat his game like 5 to 6 times in my lifetime

11. Dailon80

Dailon80 Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2014
    Program Director/Radio DJ
    Eos
    #11 Dailon80, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    One of the greatest RPGs ever
    It was this game on SNES that gave me a love for RPGs
    Any reason to play it again is a good one :)
    Which do you prefer active or wait?
    I always play active so this time I will go with wait
    Also did you know you can open and close the shades when you first get out of bed :)

12. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    Time to get my DS cartridge out and pop it in my N3DS again... looks like its that time of the year !

Anyone who havent played this game yet and likes RPGS simply has to do it now. This is one of the best RPGs of all time, nothing can top it off even today, such a great game

13. pluizje

pluizje Member

Jun 3, 2017
    1 hour in. I can see why people love this game. The story and music are amazing. But those controls....I'm playing it on my iPhone 7 and the screen is just to small. Especially selecting other targets is a pain. Can't wait to finish this classic though.

14. OrangutanKungfu

OrangutanKungfu Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2015
    Media
    UK
    I'm so in! Bought this in the Christmas Square Enix sale, but this is what I've been waiting for! My first playthrough too, so I'll make a gentle plea for people to use the spoiler tags... Good luck, everybody!

15. Milotorou

Milotorou Well-Known Member

Mar 19, 2015
    No way I am gonna spoil this one ! The story is darn good and the twists are very clever, ill let you experience it blind # As Shaun said its not a very hard game either. Its not "super easy" though, theres some challenging fights but overall the game does not have huge didficulty spikes or straight difficulty overall

16. Winter9

Winter9 Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2011
    I wish everyone a fun month of Chrono Trigger! I finished it just in June or was it end of May so I'm going to take the opportunity to further my Bravely Default and Trails of Cold Steel playthroughs. Just a tip guys. Don't do two 80 + hour games at a time :p

Anyways I loved Chrono Trigger. I think I prefer FFVI to it and those are often compared. Mostly the music, colorcombination and battlesystem. But honestly there's no way to go wrong with Chrono Trigger. The details are amazing and it's just pure fun. Good luck everyone :D

17. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    That's the only downside to this iOS version they never really updated or tried to fix anything
    Who agrees that if there is any game that deserves a faithful remaster it's this one and secret of mana
    Would love to see those two with updated graphics

18. mkaen

mkaen Well-Known Member

Dec 9, 2011
    #18 mkaen, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    I've always been bummed that they used interpolated graphics for this. It looks blurry and muddled in my opinion. If they'd stuck with the original graphics rendering I'd have had this on my device long ago.

19. Dailon80

Nov 10, 2014
    Eos
    Yeah the blurry graphics and sidebars suck but this game is still so bad ass
    I don't even care bought it back in the day and would
    Buy it again today :) love the game that much

20. SherlockEB

SherlockEB Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 22, 2013
    I never actually finished this game and FF 6. Maybe I'll be able finish one of them thanks to this play along. I'll scrape my DS save files and start over again. :)