iControlpad? Anyone have one?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bacon-N-eggs, May 16, 2012.

1. bacon-N-eggs

bacon-N-eggs Well-Known Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Looking into a iControlpad for my iPhone :D

I know it will only play icade games for now, but LOE 1, and LOE 2, goat up, all the great orange pixel games alone would be well worth the cost! :D

If they work well I'm ordering one!!!! But I have not seen or heard from a "real owner" yet.

Also would I need to jailbreak to use it? I hope not :)

2. mekanikal fiend

mekanikal fiend Well-Known Member

Sep 9, 2010
    i have one. have had it for about 4 or 5 months. been sitting unused in my drawer about the whole time. it works ok, but i think mine might have been defective because one of the directions (left if i remember correct) would have about a half second pause before registering , also that same direction would cut out intermittently.

you dont need a jailbreak, but you will need a usb bluetooth dongle to update the firmware on the actual controller. you can play icade games out of the box, but if you are jailbroken you can use it on the Emulators that are on Cydia. however, the wii mote with the virtual controller work much better, and you might already have them laying around (need jailbreak for wii controllers so...)

3. krispydp

krispydp Member

Jan 22, 2012
    Mapping custom buttons

I'm wondering about this too. It says on their website that their new firmware allows you to map game controls that don't have icade support onto the buttons you want on the icontrolpad. Has anyone done that?

4. bacon-N-eggs

Mar 17, 2012
    I really thought a few guys would have them, I might just order one anyways.... It's only money right? Haha

5. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I have one. It does what it says it does. All iCade games work with it and with extra software, you can use touch games with it too (must be jailbroken). The shoulder buttons get in the way when you need to put it down though, sometimes pressing accidentally.
    I have found this kit to be far better. Using an existing NES or SNES joypad, you can control any iCade game, plus with my latest update, I have added normal keyboard functionality, so you can use it on a large range of computer games which allow keyboard input. The settings on the joypad itself allow all of the buttons to be redefined without reflashing or special software, as the entire process (switching between NES and SNES mode, redefining the iCade buttons, switching between iCade and keyboard mode) can be done using any text editor. Not only that, the device plus an official camera connection kit (required to attach to iDevice) is cheaper than most, if not all, of the bluetooth controllers. Not to mention the fact that you can use this one on a plane without any signal issues :p

6. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Is there any way to play, say, mc3 or shadowgun with a bluetooth controller on a jail broken device?

7. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    If those are touch controls, then you should be able to use bluetrol (cydia tweak) to emulate touches using iCade, iControlpad, Gametel, SNES chip or any other controller which has iCade emulation.

8. hamster787

hamster787 Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2010
    i have the gametel, got it cos its a cheaper option and because most things are icade compatible only, the analogue sticks on the ICP are not useful for most apps, i use it with blutrol (cydia $5.99) and i love it

9. crunc

crunc Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2008
    I have an iControlPad. IMHO it's functional, but cheap feeling. Plus most games don't translate well to it because they are all designed with the iCade in mind and buttons often map weirdly to the iCP with some key buttons set to Start/Select, making the games pretty unplayable. Moreover, if you happen to have any games that are specifically designed for the iCP, such as Vertex Blaster, well you can't play those games without unpairing and repairing because they work differently. If lots of games supported the iCP directly this wouldn't be a big deal, but they don't. Actually if they'd just offer an iCP layout option, but use the same connection technique as the iCade, that would work well.

10. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    With the SNES/NES adapter, you can change the layout whenever you like using no other software than you have already (a text editor). The process is very simple and painless. If your layout is wrong, just jump into 'Notes', change the layout, then jump back into your game.

11. bacon-N-eggs

Mar 17, 2012
    Do you know if the adapter requires a jailbreak?

12. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    Nope, it currently does require a little soldering though(and an official camera connection kit), as it is just the chip on a board. It's quite straight forward though.

Someone should really build a site dedicated to the device, with instructions for setting it up etc.

13. laxking97

laxking97 Well-Known Member

May 24, 2010
    Utah
    I think that you should. You seem to be the one who knows most about it, and I'd be really interested.

14. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I know more about the output of the thing, I modified the firmware a lot.

Perhaps I will, although, I have no time frame in mind, it's not out of the question.

If anyone has any further questions about the device, please use the original thread, I feel bad for derailing this one a little.

15. OddyOh

OddyOh Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Canada
    iControlPad 2

Hi guys. Bit of a gravedig here, but thought you might like to see the 2nd Gen iControlpad, currently in the final stages of Kickstarter funding:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1703567677/icontrolpad-2-the-open-source-controller?ref=live

Same great gaming controls, plus a full keyboard. Anyway, check it out, see what you think. I hope they get there! Disclaimer: I don't work for them, just a fan. I'm in for a two-pack, I think it might make a fine XBMC remote.

16. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
  17. OddyOh

OddyOh Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Canada
    Yes...actually I did get my Pandora, fairly quickly too. Certainly not the norm, it is unfortunate how that project has gone.

Fortunately, iCP is way easier to make. Well, I'm hoping. :)

I hadn't looked closely at the impluse yet...that's cool too.

18. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
  19. OddyOh

OddyOh Member

Jul 12, 2011
    Canada
    Yeah, the keyboard adds some value to me, for my HTPC and such. Also it sounds like the iCP2 will be easier to switch "modes" (between iCade, iControlPad, and whatever other controller mapping "standards" there are already). The iCP 1 is a lot of powering on and powering off in different modes, bit of a pain...doesn't take long, but I should be able to just switch games and keep playing.

And I agree, Apple needs to swallow their pride or whatever their problem is and add support for physical game controls in the SDK...maybe today's Gameloft gamepad is the first step. Hardly pride swallowing...they're sitting on another goldmine in terms of potential hardware sales.

I'd love to pair the PS3 gamepad with my iPhone (I realize Android can do this, but I'm already into the Apple world). Not the most portable, but for me it's the most comfortable. I think Apple could further their way into many living rooms if they do this one simple thing.

20. spinal

spinal Well-Known Member

Mar 15, 2012
    I have a gametel modded into a SNES controller. Nothing beats playing iCade/android/windows etc. games on a wireless SNES controller :)

http://socoder.net/?topic=2966