PewDiePie - an upper cut to the chin of every developer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by SuperRockGames, Feb 7, 2014.

1. Apologies for the controversial heading :) Better than "The Rise Of The Video Game Commentator On YouTube"

Things have changed. I think Flappy Bird is a milestone for both the App Store and YouTube. It seems as if YouTube video game commentators can choose which game to make successful. They could also be paid to choose a particular developers app.

They must be aware of this and its probably a part of their revenue model. In which case its whoever has the most money that gets featured. Which brings us full circle to game development as it was before the App Store and mobile gaming. Publishers doing deals with platforms and retailers. Developers an after thought.

I personally think that YouTube video game commentators should have to declare when they have been paid to "play" a game.

Maybe as small developers we should factor in a "YouTube video game commentator" budget?

Its definitely not as random as it seems.

2. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    PewDiePie has a little to do with Flappy Bird's success. The game itself was storming charts in US since December and no one knows why. One day before PewDiePie released his video, the game was already N1 in US and UK.

[​IMG]

On the other hand, PewDiePie definitely helped to finish the job, as well as TouchArcade. They both published a story about Flappy Bird on Jan 27.

I'm currently writing deconstruction of Flappy's success, gonna post it tommorow.

3. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    R3v,

You are right about Flappy Bird, but SuperRockGames has a point :

If you can afford PewDiePie's fees then you can rocket up the charts. I actually studied apps he promoted and even the very crappy looking ones shot up the charts. Both paid and free games. PewDiePie is a guarantee to shoot up the charts: plain and simple. Every single game he promoted has done so in the App Store. But his services don't come cheap. I even contacted him but did not end up using his services. With that said he is not the only way to skyrocket up the charts. There are other services out there that have contacted me about our upcoming game that "Guarantee #1 Spots." I won't name them because that's not how I do business, but once again I declined the offers. Some things seem very scammy or not legit. In the end it's just business and those that can afford such services may come out ahead, even temporarily.

4. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    How much did he ask for? You don't have to say exact number, just some range for example. Was it over 10k?

I suppose that by "Guarantee #1 Spots" you mean services as AppoDay? However, to my knowledge you can pull out such burst campaign with any of the top traffic guys like Chartboost, AppLift or PlayHaven.

5. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold

The millions of people who watch his videos couldn't possibly care less if someone paid him or not because they're watching it for the performance of a PewDiePie video. The game itself is almost irrelevant. Something a lot of people who don't understand YouTubers also don't understand is the reason they have power is because they have so much reach. It's no different from buying advertising, you pay a premium to advertise during the Super Bowl when there's millions of people watching just like you pay a premium to have a YouTuber do something with your game that has millions of people subscribed to them.

6. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    R3v,

$10k doesn't even come close to his fees. It's much higher. Hopefully that helps. I know he's negotiable but he charges a lot. And understandably so. His following is real and you will generate results.

As far as what Eli said: he's dead on. It's just another form of advertising. Whether its paid promo or not, his viewers will be interested because of who he is and the performance he gives. He has a following for a reason. Now although his services will guarantee you a huge boost up the ranks does not mean you will stay there. If your game or app is crap then crap will ultimately fall back to the bottom where it belongs. But then again that could all be in the eye of the beholder as crap can be different to everyone.

Anyhow, something similar to Appoday I guess would be comporable. There are lots of those out there. I just don't know if many are trustworthy or worth it and the last thing I want to do is get banned from the App Store for taking a chance with something I thought was shady in the first place.

7. #7 SuperRockGames, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    @R3v - this does not mean he didn't use other lesser know YouTube video commentors. Do a search on YouTube for flappy bird but set your filter to older search results. You will find YouTube videos in the high 10,000's.

@Stingman - Wow!! more than $10k to get a review by PewDiePie. I am guessing it is around $50k as that is what is being reported as flappy birds daily income. That's not bad! Pay $50k. Get PewDiePie review. Make $50k daily.

8. Ovogame

Ovogame Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2010
    Game Developer
    Morestel, France
    Absolutely not. Getting reviewed by anyone would not guaranty a Flappy Bird success. So, you pay and cross finger you do get your investment back.

JC

9. I was listening to a recent TA podcast and I remember that you spent a lot of time talking about PIKPOK's Flick Football Legend, it was obviously a paid endorsement but not openly declared. http://toucharcade.com/2013/11/22/the-toucharcade-show-131-a-virtual-pet-cage-match/

It was stilted, forced and managed. And really deteriorated that show. I remember Mike Mead even commenting on it. "Are you guys done with your infomercial for flick kick football!!" Listen to minute 37:50!!! on that podcast.

Usually you guys talk about games you like or have no problems talking about enthusiastically.

I am all for paying the bills with advertisements but just be open about it being an endorsement. Like when you say a show is sponsored by someone. Don't slip it into the main content of the show if it doesn't fit.

I think it is hard to chastise people for cloning a game or using bot farms when taking part in under the table endorsements.

10. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

http://toucharcade.com/toucharcade-advertising-and-editorial-policies/

11. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Well I had a listen to the podcast and I did not get the impression that it was at all payed for. In fact they spent most of the time talking about free to play. Maybe your a bit biased as your also doing a soccer game?

12. Eli

Eli ᕕ┌◕ᗜ◕┐ᕗ

Is it seriously so unbelievable that we just enjoyed the game? I really don't understand this ultra-conspiratorial stance everyone takes with absolutely everything. I'm not sure if it's jealousy that their games or the things they like aren't getting similar attention or what. It's just like Flappy Bird, everyone insisted surely there must be SOME reason why it's rocketing up the charts instead of just reaching the simple conclusion that people were enjoying it.

Similarly, I think Flick Kick Legends is a really cool game. That's sort of where my thought process ended on it. Reading between the lines any further than that isn't going to get you anywhere.

13. #13 SuperRockGames, Feb 10, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2014
    That is true. I do seek out other soccer game reviews and scrutinise them more. I think Flick Legends is one of the best mobile soccer games out there. But Mike mead, one of the 3 main podcast hosts, did also mention it.

14. Sorry, I didn't mean to say anything wrong. And yes, I have also made a soccer game. I don't think anything I make/made would ever match anything PikPok makes. It was just something that came across in that pod-cast episode and something that a co-host( mike mead ) touched on. Sorry again if I implied anything improper.

I do feel though that you get what you pay for. That if you have money then there are ways you can pay for various product placement, whether it be in traditional or non-traditional ways. Incidentally, are there laws( maybe code of ethics ) that govern declaration of vested interest in the traditional advertisement industry? I think YouTube video game commentators are such a new thing that maybe there are no code of ethics that govern them. Maybe nothing does go on behind the scenes, maybe something does but how can it be harmful to question if it is a level playing field?

Notice also that my focus is not on the Flappy Bird creator but on the new forms of game media.