Heroki – 2.5D Action/Adventure Platformer

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by Picomy, Dec 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Picomy

Picomy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #1 Picomy, Dec 19, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2015
    Hello there!

We're Picomy, a gamestudio based in the Netherlands and we've been working on Heroki since 2010 (That's 4.5 years already... It's insane how fast time flies)

[​IMG]

Heroki what?
    In short: Heroki is a young propeller-headed boy who’s chosen to save his village high above the sky. In search of the stolen magic element from his village, Heroki embarks a great adventure through several worlds full of exploration and great challenges.

To be more genre specific: An adventure game with lots of platform and RPG elements.

What can we expect from Heroki?
    A very high quallity and unique experience we like to compare with games we truly love. I'm looking at you Zelda, Mario, DK, Kirby, Sonic, Rayman - the good stuff :)

Disclaimer: At least, that's our aim in terms of quality.

After a year in the production, we we're contacted by SEGA to publish the game and so we agreed. The game is scheduled to be released very very soon and will be premium priced, without any iAP.

Please have a look at the final product, as many more updates will follow on here the frontpage:
    [​IMG]

Link to the old teaser trailer back in 2011

Follow, like, share, see, write and eat:
    www.blog.picomy.com
    www.twitter.com/picomy
    www.facebook.com/picomy

2. Zaz

Zaz Well-Known Member

Jul 14, 2009
    I'm very curious to see some gameplay and screenshots! The trailer has pretty sweet graphics :)
    I don't know why but the video reminded me Zack & Wiki on Wii.

3. squarezero

squarezero Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver

Dec 10, 2008
    Male
    Chief Strategy Officer
    Salem, Massachusetts, USA
    Color me intrigued :).

4. tocameelarcade

tocameelarcade Well-Known Member

Dec 5, 2010
    pretty freaking cool trailer guys! keep us informed :D

5. Qurao

Qurao Well-Known Member

Oct 29, 2010
    Denmark
    Very colorful art style from what I can tell. I'll be looking forward to seeing more of this game in the future.

6. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Can't wait for gameplay because that art got me very excited :D

7. doodlepoodle

doodlepoodle Member

Oct 25, 2011
    Very nice! But the poor birds. You should make the birds look more evil, so that people won't feel sad, when you smash them. They look too cute right now!

8. GoofyJmaster.

GoofyJmaster. Well-Known Member

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Very interested to see some gameplay. Glad to hear you've been trying to perfect the controls and make it easily accessible. I tend to be very finicky when it comes to control, so I'm excited to see what you've come up with.

9. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    ^Same here but i'm nervous. I love platform games and i've got about 50 on my ipod, the basic button controls work fine, worried when someone comes up with some new fangled idea which lots of other companies who have done successful platforming games havent used. Hopefully theres an option.

Its a platform game so surely there should be onscreen buttons, hope its not tilt/swipe.

Love the look of this game from the trailer but want to see some proper games action and of course want to see the controls. Seen way too many control schemes ruin iOS games, nervous about this one !

10. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    ^True!

Actually, with last weeks releases, I could've made a whole section on fangled control schemes. Personally, I think options is key unless you happen to make the "be all and end all" control scheme.

11. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    I can understand someone being bold coming out with a great new innovative control scheme BUT i would be on the safe side and add some ALT controls to suit most people.

I bought that DRACO yesterday, would be a great shooter but i didnt realise it was tilt controls only (doh!) so a bit of a waste for me as i'm anti-tilt.

But anyway back to this one, looking forward to seeing a gameplay video

12. metalcasket

metalcasket Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

May 24, 2010
    Deepest Circle, Hel
    Absolutely gorgeous. I can't wait to see a gameplay video.

13. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    I don't understand why people hate tilt and swipe controls so much. Tero just had a new update that brought virtual controls and guess what? I'm still using tilt&swipe! There are some platformers like Tero and Art Penguin that work well with swipe and tilt controls and that new platformer LostWinds also looks like it'll do a good job with the controls it has chosen. If the platformer is a speedrunner, of course it needs virtual d-pad, but different platformers work well with tilt and swipe.

Just my $0.02 or whatever.

14. psj3809

psj3809 Moderator

Jan 13, 2011
    England
    Fair enough, its just what you're used to. Back in the day some people loved playing games with joysticks, i always preferred the keyboard.

When it comes to shoot em ups i much prefer on screen buttons rather than tilt. Same for platform games on the whole. I just prefer playing games with buttons rather than tilting my ipod if i'm sat waiting for a bus etc. Yep Air Penguin is 100% a great tilt game, theres a fair few games which dont work well with tilt

For me I prefer buttons when it comes to platformers (or at least the option so it pleases the tilt brigade or the button brigade).

15. russiaone

russiaone Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Pimp
    San Francisco
    Looks beautiful. I REALLY hope the control scheme is as beautiful as the video, though.

16. LookingForGames

LookingForGames Well-Known Member

Sep 13, 2011
    Appstore
    Looks fantastic, eager to learn more!

17. LOLavi

LOLavi Well-Known Member

May 23, 2011
    iPhone gamer
    Finland
    Of course I like buttons more, just pointed out there are games that can work well with tilt or swipe. And by the way, I meant Art Penguin, small gesture game :p Air Penguin is awesome with tilt though.

18. GoofyJmaster.

Oct 11, 2011
    College Student
    Ohio, USA
    Yeah, but Air Penguin is built specifically for tilt. I think at this time, platformers still perform the best with buttons. Again, it does come down to what you're used to.

I will say this, games that have tilt don't need it and games that don't have tilt could benefit from it. But this is subjective to say the least.

Personally, I just want the option to switch from the default controls if needed. And when it comes to shooters, i just want the option to move the buttons around because my gameplay style is super finicky.

Anyways, I hope the style is fine. They definitely have a lot of reference as far as what works and what doesn't. So, hopefully that knowledge is put to good use for a groundbreaking control scheme. :D

19. arta

arta Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2009
    That trailer was showing ingame graphics, not concept CG, right?

20. Picomy

Picomy Well-Known Member

Apr 22, 2011
    #20 Picomy, Dec 20, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks everyone for the kind reply's! Really means a lot to us :)

Controls
    About the controls I can say one thing: You don't have to feel nervous about it. :)

As said before, the game is completely build around its controls and we are extremely picky when it comes down to controls. Especially for games on a touchscreen device - it really makes or breaks a game in our opinion.

Of course it's always tricky when you are doing something new. The question always remains if your idea actually works and even if it's the best control scheme ever, there always will be small bumps on the road for people to adapt, but they'll get used to good controls pretty quick. Being an iOS gamer myself since the beginning, I can say with full confidence that our "Flow Motion Control" control scheme is actually the best way to play our game. It really gives the player so much more freedom and it truly delivers a unique experience we've not seen before on the Appstore.

That doesn't mean we're rejecting input from outside our team. If there's even a slight chance that people are struggling with the controls when we're hitting BETA, we'll be definitely looking for alternatives.

Heroki
    One thing we find very important is the credibility of a character and the way he reacts to other characters and objects in the world. Heroki can perform all sorts of different actions and it's really fun to play with him. That's something that we really wanted to integrate in our game. We really want to make Heroki as lively as possible, that's really important to us.

@Arta, The trailer is 100% in-game, captured from an actual iPhone.

We're hoping to update you guys soon in this topic since there will be a lot more to show! :)