Tankz mega update on horizon!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by seonr, Jun 24, 2009.

1. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    That's right folks, just a heads up and some chunky info about the huge Tankz update due to be released soon.

For those that don't know, Tankz is a 3D arcade shooter where you play a futuristic hover tank battling it out against enemy hover tanks and towers in a choice of three level types.

Tankz has received some fantastic user feedback as well as site reviews and since it's release I have been busy working away on what has turned into a pretty MEGA update.

So, here is a chunky breakdown of what's in store for Tankz v1.(undecided) :)

• TWELVE new unlock-able arenas (4 per existing theme) !!
    • New player tank... Scorpion
    • New enemy laser tower (shoots laser beams rather then projectiles - ouch)
    • New enemy tank "The General" that shoots red plasma balls at you. It doesn't chase you down, but shoots at you from a distance.
    • Tank barrels now animate when firing
    • New 5 part Bunker System challenge level (looks hot!) that also includes...
      [*] New box obstacles that you can ram to move, or even shoot to move.
      [*] New barrel obstacles that you cant move, and when you shoot them (to get past them), they explode with massive force doing you damage if you are too close.
    • New artwork for projectiles and rockets, including new cool player projectile trails
    • New targeting system for when in 3rd person mode, to help with aiming
    • Stacks of new things in the games options screen, including a choosing a new control system, where tilt strafes, and D pad turns and goes forward and back... choosing the orientation of the device and more.
    • Player ranks and stats page (like in Turret Wars)
    • Now 3 difficulty settings (Easy, Hard and Crazy)... Easy is now very easy with one shot kills and long delay before enemies shoot you. Hard is what easy was, and crazy is what hard was.
    • ... and stax more

Here is an example screen shot of the Valley Arena unlocking page.

[​IMG]

Once arenas are unlocked, they stay unlocked, and you are free to play them as often as you like at whatever difficulty level you like.

As you can see, this has turned into a massive update, and I cant tell you all how excited I am by what I have managed to achieve in this update.

2. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Wow this looks fantastic! I'm already playing Tankz and it's well worth €0,79. After this update you have to raise the price to at least €2,39, it'll be well worth that.

Any idea when the update will be available?

3. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    #3 seonr, Jun 24, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
    Hey, thanks Frog!

I am thinking of taking the price up to $1.99 when this update comes out, but I will give everyone warning on submission so they can quickly jump in and buy at 99c :)

I don't have a submission date yet, but it's sooner rather than later as I am on the home stretch of development now.

4. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    I think your game is still cheap at $1,99. I look forward to the update.

5. PointOfLight

PointOfLight Well-Known Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Programmer
    Indiana, USA
    I wasn't that excited by the first iteration of Tankz, but I may very well have to revisit it after this update comes out. It sounds like it might address several of the issues I had with the game. It's always great to hear when developers actually listen to user feedback.

6. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    The update makes it look like an entirely new game so this will fun when ready.

7. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    How silly of me... I totally forgot to mention the new Mini-Map!

[​IMG]

The Mini Map is on when you are not touching the d-pad, and turns off when you do.

There is also more goodies I forgot to mention, but saving them for a tease! :D

8. Big Albie

Big Albie Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2009
    Casual gamer/marketing dude
    San Francisco, California
    Wow, that's great. I know I wanted a mini-map and it's pretty creative how you combined that with the d-pad.

9. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Ok, next thing I "forgot" to mention ;)

New end of game stats with OS keyboard integration (no more seon's fake keyboard!).

[​IMG]

And of course, this goes hand in hand with the new ranks system that you get access to from the main menu.

10. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Ok, great news... Tankz development is done, and it is going into testing phase!

So, here is more tid bits about what you can expect...

1. I have integrated Twitter into Tankz! Yup, you can set up your twitter details and have Tankz tweet your achievements to your followers! It's awesome!

[​IMG]

2. Tankz now tracks your best timers and scores per level per arena (stored locally) and lets you know what you need to beat when you start your games... so you get to play against yourself, beating you best times and scores!

[​IMG]

3. Tankz how has global ranks included that tracks all sorts of stats, including an overall rank against all other players based on total score for all games.

[​IMG]

I have also added some Voice Over to the sound effects, for things like low health, low ammo and low rockets.

I have put the word out to a few people here about being part of the testing team for Tankz... if you did not get a PM, and want to really help with testing and can actually spend some time doing so immediately, please PM me.

11. seonr

seonr Well-Known Member

Feb 2, 2009
    #11 seonr, Jun 28, 2009
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2009
    Really? No takers for beta testing the next version of Tankz?

12. Palfince

Palfince Well-Known Member

Dec 30, 2008
    England
    I would but I'm pretty terrible at Tankz. :eek:

Perhaps if you make a new thread with the name "BETA TESTERS Needed for Tankz" (make sure to include the capitals! :D) it will get more interest.

13. Frog

Frog Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    @ Seonr, please read my PM about beta testing.