Announcement: Kickstarter Campaign to raise funds to update IOS App Music Ear Trainer

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by timbojill, Aug 31, 2015.

1. timbojill

timbojill Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Network and Website Administrator, IOS Developer
    Saint Thomas, United States Virgin Islands
    I hope I am posting this in the right place.

[​IMG]

I am proud to announce that Kickstarter.com has approved a new campaign of mine. It is called Music Ear Trainer (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/322917305/music-ear-trainer). All funds raised will be used to upgrade and advertise for the Music Ear Trainer IOS App. More information can be funding on the kickstarter campaign page: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/322917305/music-ear-trainer. IOS development is harder than a taught. I wanted to create an app like Magic Piano but with a musical and educational twisted. Here is the iTunes link for the App: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/music-ear-trainer/id450864457?mt=8. I will use the funds for myself and a few friend to work full time for a couple of weeks to update the app. I promise to make this paid app go free for a week if my funding goals are meet.

I have been a loyal fan of toucharcade.com for quite sometime. I hope that some of you here can spread the word of this kickstarter campaign. It is only for 7 days.

2. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    wow. You are asking for a load of money in 7 days for just an update to a simple app. I think you need to be a bit more realistic.

3. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    My thoughts as well. That is a huge amount of money especially for an update to an existing app. You might need to rethink it.

4. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    In addition it would cheaper to just pay a contractor to spend a week updating it properly.

5. timbojill

timbojill Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Thank you for all your help. This is my first Kickstarter campaign. The reason why I am asking for so much is I set a budget for myself and a group of others to work on the app. Plus I factored in Kickstarters share. I set a date of only a week because we plan to start in the middle of the month if successful. I kindly ask my fellow Toucharcadians to share my kickstarter. Any amount donated will be greatly appricaited.

6. timbojill

timbojill Member

Aug 31, 2015
    Hopefully if this campaign is successful I can do so.

7. Destined

Aug 11, 2013
    But you would only need a couple of K to do that not 200K.

200K is ridiculous for an update to a simple mobile app. It is so far above market rate that nobody would possibly back this. In general successful kickstarters ask below market rate not above.

8. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    How did you get the $200,000 figure? That is a pretty extreme number. What are some of the costings? Is it just for wages?

9. SpiritBomb Studios

SpiritBomb Studios Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Game Developer
    Saigon, Vietnam
    I guess that amount is to pay the dev back 20x what he had already spent?

10. Stingman

Stingman Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Aug 14, 2012
    App / Game Developer
    The Bay Area
    I would suggest studying Kickstarter before starting a campaign next time. You truly need to understand why people back things and you need an audience to back it, not just random people to discover it and back it. The world doesn't work like that in 99.99% of situations. That's like TA asking for people to back their Patreon if they had no followers, let alone asking for people to back their Patreon on a community forums that caters to music apps... what? With that said TA is probably not the best forums to promote this app. I would start with Reddit. Think about your audience, your product and set a realistic goal if you have a following. Also presentation is huge and your presentation is a bit lacking on Kickstarter. If you have no following then don't even bother with Kickstarter. I write all of this to help you understand how to improve in case you want to try again in the future. Best of luck!