Article - Almost all mainstream developers will go down the freemium route

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by tofusoup, Feb 19, 2013.

1. tofusoup

tofusoup Well-Known Member

Aug 23, 2010
    Game Designer
    San Francisco
    #1 tofusoup, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2013
    http://www.droidgamers.com/index.php/game-news/android-game-news/5586-almost-all-mainstream-developers-will-go-down-the-freemium-route-and-here-s-why

2. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

#2 schplurg, Feb 19, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2013
    Everyone blames the consumers for the Freemium model, but I think it is incorrect to do so. "Consumers" are a massive group of individuals that simply react to a market. The purchasing public is largely predictable - I don't see a surprise in consumers wanting something for free, and embracing it when it's offered (especially these days).

In recent years it has become easier for indie developers to get in the game. Homebrew, and the easy access to the App Store are a few examples. For $99, anyone can release a game that will end up on the "store shelf" with all the others. Suddenly you have a whole new group of people designing and releasing games and apps.

Because of this, many apps are garbage. The consumer gets tired of paying for something only to find out that it sucks. Enter Freemium.

In the early days of the App Store, it was common to see games at $3 - $5. But as other people got into the game, many of whom have never worked in the game industry before - such as myself - the market became flooded with apps. Competition and user dissatisfaction drove the prices down to where they are today.

Actually I think the consumer is not to blame at all, they are simply reacting to a market the way they should.

As for the linked article, there is nothing new in there. There is a virtually endless supply of apps and games. It's as simple as supply and demand. And as for the future of the App Store, and "all games going freemium from now on", maybe that will be true, but the App Store is a new and very dynamic market. It will change a lot in the coming years I think.

3. raekess

raekess Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2013
    Product Manager
    Lafayette, CO
    Freemium - reaction to consumers?

I have to agree with schplurg. Before games started going freemium, there wasn't a clamor for them.

As a consumer, aren't you all about getting as much as you can for as little as you can? Everyone loves a good deal, and there were a lot of crap apps out there for a long while - heck, there still are. As a consumer, I want to know as much about what I'm purchasing before I buy it to ensure I get my money's worth. Quite often, if I download a free app and enjoy it, I will go and purchase the full version... then, if it's appropriate, I'll get it for my kids (trying to support the industry ;)).

However, as a gamer, I really, really hope that not everything does move to the freemium model. I honestly HATE it. I want to play, not be dogged to spend more money than I would if I'd just purchased the game outright at the start. I want to be able to progress through a game in a balanced manner, rather than rely on others or on reaching for my pocket book every time I want to accomplish something. I'm willing to spend the $60 on an XBox game... heck, I'm even willing to pay for DLC - developers need to make a living too! I can't tell you how many times I've stopped playing a game because of the nagging to spend money...

4. bramblett05

bramblett05 Well-Known Member

Aug 29, 2012
    Thank you so much. Eli was blaming us the consumers for real racing 3's fiasco when like you said games going free left and right. I'm sure these next years are gonna test freemeium so more are gonna be free this year then last. Blame the simpsons tapped out that's my answer.

5. racer-007

racer-007 Well-Known Member

Feb 15, 2013
    From the article "...the biggest reason why developers are going down the freemium route is because (surprise, surprise) people actually support it. There are people who, believe it or not, refuse to pay outright for a game (even if it is priced at $2.99), but will then happily spend $19.99 on IAPs."

Had consumers said no right from the beginning, the devs wouldn't have gone freemium full scale. Now there's no turning back I fear.

6. Bigmac1910

Bigmac1910 Member

Jul 13, 2012
    I think if it's done right, even hardcore gamers could accept it. But the way I intend to launch is just with a demo, and one time IAP, possibly some cosmetic addons. But this could all change, I think as long as ones game is good, the business model won't matter that much. (Unless you only care about money and don't care about the game itself)

7. el Brainvomito

Jun 29, 2012
    #7 el Brainvomito, Feb 21, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
    There is one massive, ignored group that do actually benefit from freemium model - busy people that didn't think they had time to play. Time-management games and business-models supporting playing after certain time do encourage people, who are skeptical about games as valid entertainment and more of complete time-waste.

Edit; I think it's quite fallacy to compare apps with consumable content with those you pay just once. Supercell makes a million A DAY, and even Rovio has hard times to beat it in the grossing charts after initial release week. That just fine though, it doesn't mean there is no room for paid apps, they just don't generate that much of revenues, which is, well, quite logical.

8. AlienSpace

AlienSpace Well-Known Member

May 28, 2010
    Independent developer
    It really has less to do with what consumers want or dont want. It has more to do with the way Apple set up the system of the App Store. The system encouraged a race to the bottom, so that's what we got.

This should be clear to anyone who develops games for a living. You give rewards for a certain action, and people will perform that action. It has little to do with the inherent merit or fun of doing that thing. Killing rats in one place for hours a day is not fun, but players will do it over and over, even if they dont really want to. And this is where we're stuck. Developers dont want to develop masses of crappy games, and consumers dont want to buy masses of crappy games, but that's what we have for the most part... at least until someone comes along and puts into place a better system that encourages good games to rise to the top.

9. Price undercutting in any market has an affect on all products. It only takes a few people to do it and then the majority have to follow or be left behind (if not already established in that market). With other types of products there are usually less providers so it's easier for them to use supply and demand. The mobile market has way more individuals and easier access.

Marketing and targeted marketing has never been so important.

10. Appvism

Appvism Well-Known Member

Feb 9, 2013
    UK
    Although freemium is the rage these days for mobile games, i have to say that as a newbie indie game dev, i'm planning on keeping it old school and just charge a one off fee of $1 (probably)...

Cheers,

11. For my next title: ESI-CODE Breakers (Release date 28th Feb) I'm also using a new pricing strategy. It'll be interesting to see how the market is. Fortunately , their always different marketing and pricing strategies you can use to develop your very own niche.

12. But RR3's main problem is wait timers, not freemium issues. Also, the problems started when EA bought Firemonkeys. Both of these gripes have nothing to do with freemium.