Secrets behind Clash of Clans $4 million a day

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by R3v, Jun 24, 2013.

1. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Hi guys,

as you know, Supercell is currently making a sick money - over $4 million a day. I have wrote an analysis about their monetization psychology and strategy in Clash of Clans, you can read it here:

Secrets Behind The Clash Of Clans Monetization

What do you think? Feel free to start discussion about money in mobile industry :)

2. i-kari

i-kari Active Member

Thanks, I enjoy reading articles like these. I think the trick is to analyse and learn from the success stories and then go and try to apply similar strategies to your own project.

3. ThreeCubes

ThreeCubes Well-Known Member

Oct 13, 2012
    Thanks for the post, I always find it difficult to even imagine that anybody would ever want to buy a virtual currency because I never would. I think this prevents me from making this kind of game even though I know they make millions.

4. R3v

R3v Well-Known Member

Sep 17, 2012
    CMO @ PIXEL FEDERATION
    Well, in general you are monetizing about 1-2% of players in freemium games. But if you catch whales, they are willing to spend huge amount of money.

5. RedStripe

RedStripe Member

Jul 11, 2013
    I'm always amazed at how well price representation works. But I guess once someone starts, it is tough to stop. Great analysis.

6. VikingStudios

VikingStudios New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    The price to actually upgrade 'your base' fully is in the 10's of thousands!

7. Echoen

Echoen Well-Known Member

May 16, 2012
    USA
    That is so cool to read. And I'm just a gamer.

8. vii-Lucky

vii-Lucky Well-Known Member

Jul 28, 2013
    I honestly did not enjoy this game.

But many of my classmates did.

9. VikingStudios

VikingStudios New Member

Aug 22, 2013
    #9 VikingStudios, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 13, 2013
    I think the game is one of the few that has a lot of potential. It's real time to play and to upgrade your base can take days/weeks. Whilst the clan and chat adds a social element - you feel like you are playing with people. If you notice each upgrade brings higher levels of social contact (e.g sharing your 'raids' etc).

The trophy system actually means there's competition, nevertheless clans have added requirements that results in players wanting to push further and improve.

The top players are constantly in competition with each other, where only using real world currency to buy gems will ensure their dominance. Lower level players strive to better their position so end up gemming.

Anyway that's one marketing perspective but what do I know, well I do have an app marketing site