Should I worry about a few fans? - the Dev of Fizziks

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by bsgnerd, Sep 6, 2009.

1. bsgnerd

bsgnerd Member

Jul 13, 2009
    My freshman effort app has been poorly rated by people that have tried it. However the app is the most widely downloaded, by alot, of all of my apps. I want to do a major gameplay upgrade to this app, basicly overwritting the old "failed" app while keeping the base players. The game will still be there but with major changes to the play tactics.

Do I need to worry about the handfull of people that like it the way it exists now?

-This thread is NOT about Fizziks and its update I've discused in another thread.-

thanks, Mark

2. Fudgeboy

Fudgeboy Well-Known Member

Aug 16, 2009
    Student
    UK
    I think you should do an update and tell the people that like it not to update.

3. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Mark,

Having just bought Fizziks -and enjoying it.

I think that if you are doing a major overhaul, and the game has failed - but there are some people that like it - you make another game. You take the parts from the old game that you like, and then make your new game - and call it something different. If your core like your work, they will likely also purchase the new game, and they will also enjoy your new one.
    And then you also have the new game that will hopefully attract new players. Those people if they really like your work, may go back and buy your "failed" effort, and decide they like it, or not. But I think with indies they do have a following - and some element of supporters. I have some apps I don't particularly like just because it is from an indie that does some good work and I try and support their efforts.
    My limited understanding of the app world is that it seems to be like acting - there are a few at the top that do well, and the rest wait tables, and pick up the odd jobs - but have a "day job".

My $0.02. Good luck to you, and if you don't mind - let us know what the "failed" app is - or PM me with the name if you don't wnat to throw it out - I am curious..

4. bsgnerd

bsgnerd Member

Jul 13, 2009
    Ok here is a little info on the app I'm talking about.

GumPop Lite - came out in early June. It is closing in on 2,000 downloads now which for me is alot. Its total 3, 4, and 5 star ratings are 20. Its total 2 and 1 star ratings are 60. That makes a 3 to 1 ratio against. I would call that poorly recieved.

My question in this thread is do I add new gameplay features 'powerups' to the existing game thus erasing the old game? The old game would still be there but the thinking you would use to play the game would change alot. But I don't think the changes are enough to launch a 'GumPop 2.' The AppStore is already flooded by cookie-cutter apps.

I like my own game but I can see why some may think it a little boring. It is just 3 levels of slidding around gumballs. You know how many apps state "Surprisingly simple to play but difficult to master." Well I'm that guy. I'm planning on adding a couple of special gumballs. The game will still be simple to play but the logical difficulty will become more complex.

Final thought here - as a (part-time) developer I've gotten out a few apps now. But do I charge ahead into one app after another. Or do I go back to the ones that have shown some promise/user interest and make them shine?

Thanks, Mark

5. skyye06

skyye06 Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2009
    student
    Texas
    okay first are they reviews or ratings because since it is free people sometimes just delete a lot of apps with one stars because maybe they dont get it or don't like the color for stupid reasons. That is what you need to compare.

well on the last part it depends, such as if you do the first you might eventually find that app that will get you a lot of money but the chance is your rep might go down by ignoring the others. While if you do the latter you can work on something that shows promise but may never get the attention and you may feel like it was a waaste of time so i cant really help you with this

6. pluto6

pluto6 Well-Known Member

Jun 21, 2009
    Military
    Well, Im going to look at it, but I just want to throw out that with only the one written review you have no idea what is going on.

There have been a lot of discussions on TA about the problems with rating an app upon deletion - which is what you are seeing. So people likely don't care about the apps that they are deleting - and just press something / anything. There are writtne 1 star reviews that say the game is best that they played - so some folks obviously rate 1 as good, 5 as bad. Lastly - what do rate an app that you are deleting? Probably not 5 stars - why delete it then? So you rationale above is not enough to say it is poorly recieved. There are also some threads in the devs area that talks about why apps sell poorly, or why there is no interest, and those might interest you.

As to your last question - I think that depends on what you are doing in the app market - if you want a superlative product out there - make it superlative regardless. If you are more pragmatic you might want to continue until you hit something that works. I can tell you that a lot of regular crowd here knows the devs work though, so a dev with a hx of throwing out junk - a new game, even if it looks promising - does not generate a lot of interest - sort of the fool me once sort of mentality.. but the general market probably has no interest, and does not care...