Is this possible?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by justking14, Feb 11, 2015.

1. justking14

justking14 Member

Sep 8, 2014
    So I'm in trouble. For my class, I've been given the assignment of creating a 3d game in which tilting the ios device left, right, forward, or backwards causes the terrain to turn in that direction. The problem is I've never worked in a 3d environment with IOS, and don't even know if it's possible using Xcode.
    So.....Is it?

2. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    Yes it is indeed possible to do 3D Environments with iOS via xcode. How are you currently doing your 2D projects? I am guessing you use an engine which could be problematic for you depending on what engine you are using and whether that engine supports 3D.

But yeah, simple answer is: Yes, all you need is xcode and you can use openGL to easily use 3D on iOS.

3. justking14

justking14 Member

Sep 8, 2014
    I've been using swift and spritekit. Any advice on learning openGl?

4. dprat0821

dprat0821 Active Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Beijing, China
    Oh no guy, start learning openGL and then build up a playable demo will cost you at least three months. I suggest you employ 3D engines like Unity3d or Unreal Engine.

5. Destined

Destined Well-Known Member

Aug 11, 2013
    this is a super easy and quick job in unity as you can do it all out of box and then compile as the xcode project

6. gjestland

gjestland Well-Known Member

Jan 15, 2013
    Check out SceneKit, it's a bit like SpriteKit, but only for 3D graphics.

7. dprat0821

dprat0821 Active Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Beijing, China
    But U3D/UE can make crossing platform games.

8. justking14

justking14 Member

Sep 8, 2014
    How does one make models in scenekit?

9. Rogue

Rogue Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Feb 9, 2011
    Games Developer
    Brisbane, Australia
    +1 for scenekit

If you are familiar with spritekit it is probably worthwhile shifting to scenekit. I personally know nothing about either but I think moving to openGL might be too much of a leap for you right now and apple has probably made both systems friendly for beginners.

Ray Wenderlich's Website has a decent looking scene kit tutorial that is hopefully still relevent. His website has lots of nice tutorials and find myself there from time to time.

10. luniac

luniac Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2015
    To be all good.
    brooklyn
    pretty dam easy to do in unity...

just create a square plane and write a script relating its rotation values to the gyro values which are constantly being updated.

probably normalizing it would give it a nice smooth motion....

11. krisix

krisix Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2015
    Just use Unity3D - it will be easier.

12. q8phantom

q8phantom Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Game development
    Kuwait
    +1

Use Unity3D, it's what you want (Unless you are asked to do it exactly in OpenGL)

13. luniac

luniac Well-Known Member

Feb 12, 2015
    To be all good.
    brooklyn
    and if u wanna go one step further check out the PlayMaker asset store plugin, its on sale for 45 bucks right now. I never used it(but may consider it in the future), but it basically lets u use final state machines to create ur game within unity without having to write ANY code(unless u want to add something thats missing)

im 99.99% sure it would be pretty simple to use a FSM to tie your phone tilting to the rotation of an object in the game, in fact im 100% sure.