Ads for Lite version - opinions?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by jlanis86, Jun 17, 2011.

1. jlanis86

jlanis86 Well-Known Member

Oct 9, 2009
    #1 jlanis86, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011
    I want to get a general sense of what people think of ads when they download a free/lite game, from a buyer's perspective. I've been debating back and forth whether or not I want to put ads in a lite version of my game.

1) In general, do you find ads to be obtrusive/irritating?

2) If given the choice, would you prefer a one-time video ad on start-up or a banner ad displayed in the game?

3) If given the choice, would you prefer a limited version of the game with no ads or a complete version of the game with constant banner ads?

4) Have you ever seen an ad that you were genuinely interested in?

5) As a developer, do you think the increase in revenue from ads is significant enough to justify them? Do you think it gives people more of an incentive to purchase the full version, or does it turn them off from the game completely?

2. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    As a consumer, if I'm downloading a free app I don't mind ads. Simple banners don't bother me -- what can get annoying are the full screen 'wait till it loads so you can skip it' ads. But even then, it's not a huge deal to me if it's a free app.

However, if your model is free + IAP (no 'full version'), I don't think there should be ads.

3. headcaseGames

headcaseGames Well-Known Member

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    1. I hate ads (but I do employ them when possible)

2. can you do this? I'd prefer to sit thru a 1-time ad, but I don't suspect it will potentially give you equal or more gain of $ than recurring banner ads.. am I wrong?

3. I think most people will say complete with ads. No one likes a stripped-down experience with no ability to progress, even if they got it for free they might still feel "cheated." But yeah, at that point, if they are thatattached to the experience you'd think they would actually "pay for the full," would that there weren't such an overabundance of choice on the market :p

4. ever seen an ad that I wanted to click? I think maybe once, but even then not really sure. Most times it is garbage (walgreens, dating, etc) If it was actually something that properly targeted me (another game, etc) then I strongly suspect I might, if the ad was attractive enough. I don't play enough ad-supported games to have had this experience however..

As an aside, I will say that I think properly using ad-support is the key to success on the App Store - just not necessarily the way most people are using it right now :( My Android game gets a bit less than a buck and a half per day from ad revenue, which has added up to over $100 in the two months since launch. Not too much to speak of, but if I can grow my base (it's kinda stabilized for some time now) then it won't be bad. We'll see how it goes!

4. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    Interested to hear you say this, and I haven't thought of it otherwise. I want to make a game with IAP, and sell "disable ads" as one of the options.. does that sound reasonable?

5. JTown

JTown Well-Known Member

Jun 11, 2011
    Independent GameDev
    Dallas, TX
    Yeah that's more like buying the full version. I just don't think apps that I've invested money in should have any ads.

6. headcaseGames

Jun 26, 2009
    Mobile Game Developer
    Hollywood, CA
    hmm, a damned good point (*scratches head*)