Space Taxi Reloaded - This Summer!

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by ThomasP, Apr 17, 2009.

1. ThomasP

ThomasP Well-Known Member

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    3D ATTACK INTERACTIVE (Thomas Pasieka) , and DECANE (Martin Schultz) would like to share a WIP of an up and coming title we are working on .

SPACE TAXI RELOADED will be available this summer for iPhone and iPod Touch. Some of you may remember the 1984 Space Taxi, by John F. Kutcher, for the Commodore 64.

Working closely with Mr. Kutcher, we are exited to bring this classic back, but fully RELOADED!

Thomas Pasieka
    3D ATTACK INTERACTIVE

Visit our website for updates/info/screenshots.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. theone1007

theone1007 Well-Known Member

Mar 22, 2009
    USA
    I, personally, have never played Space Taxi because, well, I wasn't even around at that time. The only thing I can say right now is this: the graphics look absolutely beautiful! It's interesting how this App Store market has grown so much since the beginning: from Chopper to these beautifully rendered 3D graphics.

Good job on the game guys, hope to see this in the App Store this summer :)

3. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    I have looked on the game's website for information, but I cannot seem to find information about actual gameplay. Perhaps we could be provided with a short description of it? Thank you~

4. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA

Hi there Axl,

Your mission/goal is to pick up "Passengers" from various platforms and bring them to whatever platform they so choose (there are 3 to 10 platforms per level). You have to do so without crashing into obstacles and in the fastest time possible to make the "most money". Pretty much like a regular taxi driver but with the difference that your taxi is "Flying". Thus the name "Space Taxi". Steering the "Taxi" can be tricky at times and may require a bit of practice. It also has a landing gear which you will have to activate before landing on a platform or your Taxi will take damage.

Hope this helps a bit. We will have a video of actual gameplay in about 4-5 weeks.

Thomas P.

5. Auhron

Auhron Well-Known Member

Jan 4, 2009
    Editor
    Berlin
    I'm really happy to see that someone is working on a remake of that game, really loved it back in those good old days, it was simple, but had a lot of fun with it. Looking forward to see some in game scenes and more info ;)

6. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA

Great to see somebody from the old days who remembers it ;) It sure was great fun back in its days. I was pretty much addicted to this game for a long time and it still hasn't lost any of its charm even today.

Thomas

7. DaveMc99

DaveMc99 Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2009
    Seattle, WA USA
  8. dannys95

dannys95 Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    That's Unity I'm guessing. Could you post some screenshots of it running on the iPhone? Never heard of Space Taxi but this looks good.

9. shigzeo

shigzeo Well-Known Member

Why o why are there so many lovely looking titles coming out now? It is great to see Unity exploited as it runs very well on a variety of platforms and great for piecing together previews, reviews and basic gameplay elements before debut of an actual title.

Space taxi - looks great!

10. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    Look what I found:

This on the iPhone and in 3D should be great

11. Axl Lowe

Axl Lowe Well-Known Member

Apr 8, 2009
    Sounds quite nifty. I vaguely recall having played something similar in the past.

The WIP images provided look very sharp, but ultimately don't say much. I'll be interested in seeing gameplay screens and footage in the coming months.

Good luck!

12. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Well I try to stay as close to the original levels as possible but I'd also like to incorporate my own ideas on top of it so it's old and new mixed. Yes, we are using the "Unity" engine for this game as it allows for flexibility like no other engine.

I am currently working on more levels while Martin is doing all the programming work that is required. I don't want to show a video of it quite yet as it is all just in prototype stage at the moment. We will however have something to show at the end of May/beginning of June.

Thomas

13. pressHOME

pressHOME Member

14. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    Good thing I can read German ;) Thanks for the nice article, looks awesome guys!

Cologne... prettiest Cathedral in the world ;) Koelner Dom rocks!

Thomas P.

15. Morti

Morti Well-Known Member

#15 Morti, Apr 17, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2009
    Great to see that people still remember the old classic game. We'll do our best to get a great new version of Space Taxi out for the iPhone. In early may (when I'm back from my trip to the US) we'll release some gameplay videos. Meanwhile, feel free to bomb Thomas P. with all your questions! :)

Oh, and yes, it's Unity we're using. And the game looks exactly on the iPhone like the posted screenshots. That's already production content and runs smooth on the phone.

Best
    Martin

16. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA

This is exactly what we are doing Dannys95 ;)

Thomas

17. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    #17 dannys95, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
    If you nail it right, this shall be awesome. Can't wait.

Question. Will it be at the viewing angle of the original game (from the side) or will it be 3D first-person view? Or will we have choices? I would love choices.

18. ThomasP

Mar 29, 2009
    Artist/Developer
    MI, USA
    It will be from the side but a little more close up than the original game. No first person view as this wouldn't make much sense really (too confusing).

Thomas

19. chris1215

chris1215 Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2009
    This is really just the best news. I love this on the commodore 64. Now just give me Mr. Robot and I'll be happy

20. dannys95

Sep 29, 2008
    Earth
    How about a third-person view behind the taxi? Come on, you know it'll look awesome. ;):)
    Also any idea on pricing?