3GS graphics put to rest

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by writingsama, Feb 18, 2010.

1. writingsama

writingsama Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2008
    Hey guys, I couldn't find this info definitively put anywhere with Google, so here it is. I care because I'm thinking of upgrading for gaming, and I can't really use a DS or PSP, so...yeah, the 3GS is better, but, is it a "real console" in terms of power?

A big determiner is what kind of PowerVR SGX it has. Well, I was able to confirm that it is definitely the 535.

http://www.glbenchmark.com/compare.jsp?benchmark=glpro11&showhide=true&D1=Apple iPhone 3G S&D2=SonyEricsson U1i Satio

The Satio is known to use the 530. Since the 535 has double the pipelines of the 530, you'd expect it would roughly double the performance. Well, it doubles it over a known SGX 530 user almost exactly.

This means that the 3GS, if used full-bore, has the potential to take on the PSP (the PSP has some advantages despite weaker on-paper specs, but they're too technical to get into) or better. Games nowadays haven't even scratched the surface.

Or have they? Has this already been definitively settled? Can anyone also point me to some pretty screenshots of GS-only games? Thanks!

2. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    I'm also looking forward for more3 3gs enhancememts, but it'll take a while until "only 3gs" games come out.

Some more infos about this chip would be appreciated. Maybe a dev who allready has gained some experience with this new chip?

And i beliebve with 128 mb more than 3g they could also use larger textures.

3. your personal robot

your personal robot Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2008
    nonverbalist
    Berlin
    And it won't take long for the next generation of iPhones.
    So, I think, we will never see a lot 3GS only games. Since the next one will be a lot better again. But yes, I would love to see devs going further.

4. iMario

iMario Well-Known Member

If you want to buy a 3GS just for gaming, then no. Get a PSP for that.

5. RPGGuy

RPGGuy Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2008
    PSP is much faster than iPhone at drawing triangles, but iPhone has per pixel shaders which PSP does not.

I believe the specs for the iPad said it can draw many more triangles per second than the iPhone chip, and it's only a matter of time before more powerful chips find their way into phones.

6. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

I posted that image some time ago in another thread.

Zen Bound 2 is in development and still quite a while from completion, but it does make good use of the 3GS hardware. For a mobile device there's definitely a feeling of disbelief to be looking at graphics that were considered high-end on PC and consoles not so long time ago.

RPGGuy, where did you come across the specs of the iPad graphics performance?

7. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    #7 writingsama, Feb 19, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
    Firstly, I'd never buy an iphone for gaming, period. I like to talk on my phone sometimes and games tend to be battery hogs. I'm looking at an ipod 3g.

Secondly I noted in the original post that I can't use a PSP.

It doesn't matter if the next is a lot better. Right now there is a generational gap; art assets created for an OGL 2.0 pipeline simply aren't usable on an OGL 1.5 pipeline. Once you start using shaders, it's easy enough to use older versions (see: oldblivion, bioshock patches that allow it to run on radeon 9800 level harware...) Since the SGX's has an OGL 2.0 compliant unified shader architecture, just like games for modern PCs, you just scale back the level of detail and effects for weaker hardware. The 3GS bootstraps you into the zone where it doesn't get amazingly better except for more triangles and pixels.

(someone spoke about 128mb more memory)
    Yes, let's all remember that the xbox had 64mb memory, the xbox360 has 512mb, and the 3gs has 256. The OS takes about 64. So we're left with about 192mb. Larger textures are good to a point, but there's usually no point in having them much bigger than the resolution of the screen (480x320) except in landscapes etc. Instead it allows for a lot more headroom for bigger, more complex, wide-open worlds.

Is a cortex A8 fast enough? Sure! My developer's speculation is that it could run Oblivion with somewhere between Morrowind and Oblivion graphics. It is aided alot by the speed of the SLC flash inside - loading times are much less than DVD/BD media. However it will come up short in areas like physics. Unfortunately you'll have to have either enemies with pretty bouncing boobies or enemies with brains.

Now, *THE DOWNSIDE* to the SGX chip is this - this prettier art, etc., it takes longer to create. Costs more. I wouldn't be surprised if companies are hesitant to develop 3GS level games for the very reason that they are more expensive to produce, with a more limited market. As it stands, investing 30% more development time for a better experience for 10% of players who probably won't pay any more money is counter to profit making.

*THAT* said, Apple has this wonderful thing called planned obsolescence. They plan on the 1g, 2g devices being obsolete quite soon. And by obsolete I mean broken.

I don't know. Personally, if I had to pay $10 more to play NOVA with console-like graphics, I wouldn't. But if I spent $20 to get a NOVA that really WAS like Halo - wide open environments, better AI, etc. - I'd jump at it!

And don't forget games like Call of Duty: World at War: Zombies. It lags to heck on a 2g touch at low detail level, and don't think for a moment that the CPU speed doesn't affect all the people getting dropped. On a 3g s, I hear, you can run max detail level, and it enables some shaders, and it's a lot prettier and doesn't lag. The lack of lag is the best improvement IMO. Once you get up past wave 20 just dodging the zombies and firing your shotgun gets downright difficult. Games that straddle the edge and offer an option to both generations - right there, the casual gamer can go for a 2g touch, but the serious one can use a 3g. I count myself as a serious one with a 2g impediment. I'm in #2-4 (depending on how you sort them) for the online leaderboards for top 3-player games on Verrukt. OrgnlDave, if you want to look. Imagine what I could do with a 3g!

8. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    #8 writingsama, Feb 19, 2010
    Thanks for the screens. I see lots more shader use, higher-res textures. Zen Bound is pretty but I wish there were more to look at...surely someone with a 3GS must have shots of Zombies running on it!

As far as the iPad goes, it has literally 5.1x the pixels as the 3g s. I would *imagine* that they'd want at least 4x the pixel throughput as the 3gs chip, so I'd then go so far as to imagine that they're using an SGX variant with 4x the pipelines; however, since the shaders are unified, you don't really need 4x the pipes, since you only need enough for the same geometry + extra pixels. This is all just speculation, but I would imagine that 8 or 12 pipes would be a good compromise. If the SGX has a max of 4 shaders per core as I remember, then a 2- or 3-core variant would be logical. (Note that cores aren't the same as for processors: ATI/nVidia cards have hundreds of 'cores'). This would kick the theoretical number of triangles through the roof, but you'd only REALLY be drawing the same number in the same game, with more cores going to the pixel end to handle the higher resolution.

The real question about the ipad is how much RAM it has. It would need 512mb at least to keep up with texture size requirements and be competitive with the 3gs in graphics.

9. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    #9 writingsama, Feb 19, 2010
    I'd like to add that my $.02 is on the iPad being meant for gaming. Gaming was never huge for apple with macs, but since the release of the app store they've raked in literally tens if not hundreds of millions from their unprecedented 1/3 cut of EVERY game sold. They *accidentally* created a real handheld competitor to the big two (DS/PSP)! And it's much more profitable for them than the DS or the PSP are to Nintendo or Sony, because of that 1/3 cut and lack of need for any real extra advertising. If they're not taking gaming seriously now (and the 3GS shows they're at least trying) then they're ludicrous.

10. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

writingsama, the 3GS is a nice device (definitely the nicest mobile device I've ever seen), but your speculation regarding its capabilities is perhaps setting the expectations too high, particularly when misinterpreting its hardware specs. Also the sweeping statements regarding shaders and scaling detail levels are not really aligned with everyday developer reality :)

(And art assets created for GLES 1.1 work just fine in GLES 2.0 if you aim for similar visual quality. Nobody's mandating that a GLES 2.0 title must have normal maps.)

Neither the 3GS or iPad are gaming devices as a first priority, and the architectural compromises that have to be made to conserve battery life means there is a world of difference between dedicated game consoles and media devices with 3D capabilities, with game consoles usually having a clear advantage in memory bandwidth.

11. ultimo

ultimo Well-Known Member

May 5, 2009
    As we are in the end of Feb... if I were U... I'd wait till this sept. Technically till March or April when Apple announces the newer iPhone! coz the same hardware with double the disk space will be put into it.. may be His Steveness will also give us a Camera.... (will not be a Bad addition as the iPad has been deprived of one for the 1st gen :cool: also we noticed the slot for camera in the 3rd gb iPod touch, din we? :) )
    Who knos there is a bettr chip which will elongate the battery life too!

12. soupbandit

soupbandit Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2010
    student
    PSP=graphics DS=rpgs/exclusive games Idevice=for music

13. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    not necessarily...

14. Athlos

Athlos Well-Known Member

Jan 8, 2010
    Ohio
    I think it's kinda stupid to buy an ipod touch soley for music, honestly why do you need an mp3 player that can play games with graphics near or better than psps? The ipod touch has become a game player more than an mp3 player now, I think people should start acknowledging that.

15. Caladell

Caladell Well-Known Member

Feb 5, 2010
    Before I got my iTouch, I would have agreed wholeheartedly with that statement. But since I got it, I've been using it more for gaming than the other two systems. I've even taken music OFF of it to make room for more games.

16. TrueAxis

TrueAxis Well-Known Member

Sep 7, 2009
    To be honest the MBX chipset (the one in the older hardware) is not been used to the full potential. This has vertex shader capabilities which you cannot use because of the bad gl driver been used, plus lots of other features that never get used like FSA... Apple did some optimizations to this driver for firmware 3.1 which makes vertex processing a lot quicker. But the sad fact is the bad driver hampers the full potential.

With our next game most of the game logic is now in assembly code, just to compensate for the bad driver but I know I could get more from it because of this.

Open GL 2.0 is a step in the right direction but it is hampered by a bad gl driver as well.

The reason why the PSP is perceived to be better is because you can program the device to the lowest hardware stage and control how it all works. If this was allowed on the iphone then both devices would be pretty similar in the gfx stake.

If you could do this with the 3GS then that would blow the PSP out of the water. Effectively any iDevice is hampered by bad drivers. This is a shame because so much power is wasted. But I guess Apple are taking the easy route.

17. johnwayne

johnwayne Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2009
    Germany
    hey,some nice info, TrueAxis...coding in assembler is pretty tough, guess not many developer do this...cool. Maybe you should start working for Gameloft, they are in need of a good coder ;) (if i see how they built their GT-Racing Engine, laggy, sloppy etc.)

Maybe you devs should start some kind of "3d-Society for the Iphone (3gs)" and let Apple know where a demand of change is needed in the drivers. Maybe it's the "easy route" or maybe they just don't know what changes are needed so developers can work better with the gfx-chip of the iphone.

18. BrainGame

BrainGame Well-Known Member

Sep 30, 2009
    Nurse
    Philippines
    i really don't understand why others are still in denial that these idevices can be as good as those gaming platform... i personally think my IPT3G is better than the DS... :D i actually bought my idevice for gaming purposes...

19. writingsama

Dec 4, 2008
    Let's not turn this into a platform war guys...the topic is the iphone, not if the PSP rox and teh iphone sux its defecationz!!!!

Interesting about the drivers. But why put the SGX in, esp. considering how sales of games are, if they don't plan to make some kind of push? As I understand it, the original iphone wasn't planned to be for gaming, thus the problems with programming games for it. Maybe they'll introduce a game SDK to address that (like DirectX, but better)? The problems I'm referring to are mostly the really bad programming model i.e. with the timers, etc.

I mean really. Just think about the sales #s, the new more powerful hardware, etc. You as a developer TrueAxis, you think they are really going to let it slip? Maybe the reason we haven't seen EA, etc. releasing those "premium games" Apple was talking about a while back is that this API/OS update is coming first...

Anyway speculation aside, the issue with memory bandwidth on consoles is rather moot. We're talking about portable devices. The Cortex A8 does 600MHz? The SGX does 100-200? DRAM could almost keep up with the demands of the SGX, let alone DDR. I mean come on.

As far as compromises made for power go, I fail to see how the PSP or DS are any different. The PS3 uses a PS capable of supplying 380w of power! The iPhone keeps it under 1W at full load as I remember. I really doubt the PSP does that much more - as I remember at first the CPU was originally underclocked, despite its much more massive battery! It's years old technology now, optimized better for power (as they planned ahead). Every mobile device goes through that. What relevance does it have? The iPhone gets about as much play time as a PSP or DS off its battery in intensive games...if not less...

20. Frand

Frand Well-Known Member

It's important to keep things in perspective. Yes, from a down-to-the-metal developer's point of view, the iPhone has things that could definitely be more optimized. But this is all far outweighed by the fact that the App Store market doesn't favour high production value developments.

If the money is there, the hardware is largely irrelevant. In other words, if the market would support it, you would already have a ground-up new Final Fantasy on the iPhone that would be the best Final Fantasy the system could run.

You're again misinterpreting numbers and drawing wrong conclusions. CPU clockspeeds and memory chip types have very little to do with the bus that connects the different components together, and this is where you find a big bottleneck on the iPhone.

Architecturally you can loosely compare the PSP to a PS2 and the iPhone to a plastic Macbook. PSP has fast buses connecting components together, and dedicated graphics memory on the graphics chip that has room for a framebuffer and textures. The point of this local memory is to provide fast, low latency access for graphics operations.

On the iPhone, similar to a laptop with an integrated graphics chip, all graphics operations use the system memory via a relatively slow bus. Everything from texture reads to render target writes go back and forth using the same bus, which if I recall is 16 bits wide at 103MHz on the 1st gen hardware.

Anyway, the short version is that looking at MHz and staring at paper specs of graphics chips usually gets you nowhere. The real question with all systems is how the entire architecture functions, and if there are any bottlenecks that affect the overall performance. Dedicated gaming hardware makes different kind of compromises than all-arounder media devices.