[ARTICLE] Depixelizing Pixel Art

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Aztlan.Games, Nov 24, 2011.

1. Aztlan.Games

Aztlan.Games Well-Known Member

Hi there,

I just found a great pixel-art scaling algorithm by Kopf and Lischinski, which can produce gorgeous results:
    http://www.vizworld.com/2011/05/depixelizing-pixel-art/

And please do not miss the paper (link is included).

I really like what I see. If anyone stumples upon a full implementation of that procedure I would be happy to hear about that.

2. mr.Ugly

mr.Ugly Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Berlin, Germany
    #2 mr.Ugly, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
    well as a pixel art fan i don't see anything gorgeous about those horrid vector results..

if redone in vector such stuff should be handled by an proper artist and not an soulless algorithm who does not even understand what those few pixels wanted to represent..

and i think they shown something similar last year.. i recall some of the conversions..

anyway .. "rundgelutscht" is not better imho..

3. Aztlan.Games

"De gustibus non est disputandum", my fellow member :)

4. Diablohead

Diablohead Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2009
    Freelancer, PC game developer
    I personally hate those types of filters, you are better off spending more time adjusting them by hand then something which looks like it was drawn in adobe design or whatever uses vector lines.

Not to say it's wrong, just doesn't keep that sprite feel at all and turns said item into something of low flash quality in feeling.

5. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    Well, for those not wanting a pixel art look, this could be quite useful.

For instance someone could take old low res graphics and upgrade them to HD, in order to support retina or universal apps.

6. Aztlan.Games

I personally would like to see this algorithm in action under real conditions. For example when scaling my graphics up to iPad-3-retina-resolution next year.

The shown examples are rather big-blow-up, if you know what I mean. Doubling resolution would be interesting.

7. XperimentalZ

XperimentalZ Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Jul 20, 2010
    XperimentalZ Games Founder
    Montreal, Canada
    This looks like a public research paper, so perhaps someone will code a tool from the algo so we can test it out? :p

8. Ghouls'R'us

Ghouls'R'us Well-Known Member

Jun 9, 2011
    I used to be real gung-ho about pixel art before. Didn't help that HQ filter results were often questionable. But recently, especially with the popular reception of Jetpack Joyride, I'm starting to understand the other side of the equation. Pixel art is seen as old-fashioned by many younger customers, and a fresh coat of HQ3x can help alleviate that problem without the need to invest limited resources.

9. alcola

alcola Active Member

Sep 21, 2011
    agent
    xiamen
    New I rented 3 movies and purchased one last night, all my rented movies downloaded fine, can't find the movie I purchased..I was puzzling about it

10. GlennX

GlennX Well-Known Member

May 10, 2009
    UK
    Regardless of if it's desirable or not, that's pretty impressive tech, I really like what it does to the Space Invaders for example.

11. Luke Kellett

Luke Kellett Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Indie iPhone Game Developer
    Melbourne, Australia
    I don't think an algorithm is every going to replace the human mind when it comes to artistry. Though for people wanting to depixelise their art this certainly provides a much better option than the current ones!