Want to make the OFFICIAL Keyboard Cat App?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by yourfriend0, May 27, 2010.

1. yourfriend0

yourfriend0 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Yes, the OFFICIAL Keyboard Cat is looking for a great, cool developer to help build the best Keyboard Cat App ever!

This is completely licensed and OFFICIAL and a chance to work with the most famous cat on the internet!

The ideas are awesome, and we look forward to yours!

Please send examples of work and something about yourself to [email protected]

Thanks!

2. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    I have no idea who you are or how this is official. As far as I know, Charlie Schmidt created and owns keyboard cat- he is a graphic artist, performance artist, painter, musician and actor in my city (Spokane Washington). So I have no idea what your association nor relationship would be with Charlie. I could probably contact him myself- he isn't an unknown person in this region.

3. yourfriend0

yourfriend0 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Glad you are leary, and you are right! Charlie does own Keyboard Cat and is an amazing artist that I have the pleasure of working for. You can see that the same email address from my original post appears on his official YouTube page under inquiries: http://www.youtube.com/chuckieart This is completely authorized, official, and it's going to be awesome!

email: [email protected]

4. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

Cats and pianos, together in an app? It'll never work.

5. iphoneprogrammer

iphoneprogrammer Well-Known Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Financial Analyst for Baines and Ernst
    London, UK
    Blasphemy I say! Kittens do not belong on the appstore!

6. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

What is a Keyboard Cat?

It's fun to put a bunch of cats inside a grand piano and start banging the keys, but I'll bet you're referring to something else ;)

Honest question though.

7. Marc Vaughan

Marc Vaughan Well-Known Member

Apr 15, 2010
    It'll work and could go 'huge' if done right tbh, its got the 'YouTube' appeal that LOLCats and other stuff has, heck I've seen a keyboard cat video and I'm 38 ...

I'd opt for basic 'keyboard app' - you play it yourself by pressing the buttons and setting the tune (with some 'pre-set' tunes available also for the musically impaired) .....

Then you simply click a button and watch an animated 'keyboard cat' play the same tune on piano - would be easy enough to do I'd expect and the 'standard' of animation doesn't have to be amazingly high as its one of those cool idea, fire and forget viral approaches - 59p app (or free with adds or in-app purchase of some description), rely on volume.

8. yourfriend0

yourfriend0 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    #8 yourfriend0, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  9. schplurg

schplurg Well-Known Member

10. Flickitty

Flickitty Well-Known Member

Oct 14, 2009
    iPhone Dev
    Well it helps if the link actually goes to the correct video:

Keyboard Cat

Keyboard Cat was originally filmed over a decade ago, and the original cat has since passed on. The cat became a meme and media sensation about a year ago, often attached to other videos where someone does something extremely stupid and the video ends with "play 'em off, keyboard cat".

How you would make an app out of this, I have no idea. But that really isn't my task.

11. Uptown Arts

Uptown Arts Well-Known Member

Somebody used that line a while back in a review for my app Piano Cats, and until this moment I didn't realize the significance of it.

12. thejournalizer

Jun 2, 2010
    Keyboard Cat is a huge meme. Sadly I don't think you will be making much money off of this, since it's a dieing viral video. Perhaps as a developer or to get your name out this would be great though. Either way Keyboard cat is and always will be pretty awesome.
    -I'm a lurker, had to register just to add my two cents.

13. yourfriend0

yourfriend0 Member

Mar 22, 2010
    Just to clear things up...

Thanks for everyone's input. And thanks for all the people who have emailed me! Lots of talent out there! I get back to everyone who writes, so if you haven't heard from me yet, you will soon.

To clear things up, we aren't looking for someone to come up with ideas, looking for someone to build the ideas already in mind.

If you don't see the potential in an app for the most famous cat on the internet, then admittedly, the job might not be for you. But if you do, I'd love to hear from you!

[email protected]