Does law 50-20-10 applies to rolling retention or classic retention?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by dprat0821, Dec 3, 2014.

1. dprat0821

dprat0821 Active Member

Oct 3, 2010
    Indie Game Developer
    Beijing, China
    Hi guys,

It's said if the retention rate on day 1/7/28 after install reach 50%,20%,10% (50-20-10), it would be a "good game". While 55-25-15 is the benchmark of wild succeed.

My question is your opinion on that. I've integrated Flurry to my game and have the data of "rolling retention". I don't know whether the 50-20-10 law applies to rolling retention or classic retention.

2. OnlyJoe

OnlyJoe Well-Known Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Auckland
    This all depends on the type of game and monetization model, and frequency of use. Some games are not designed for long retention, but may still be very fun and successful. Also if it is a puzzle game that you might play once or twice a week, then its retention stats might show quite well, but the time playing it has actually been very low.

But I would say that if you have an app with a retention rate of 10% after 28 you are doing amazingly well. I would be surprised if even games like clash of clans has retention that good. But with that kind of game if you are still using it after 28 days, your are probably going to be using it for a lot longer still.