Any other 'audio only' games like Papa Sangre

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by draper3000, Oct 31, 2011.

1. draper3000

draper3000 Well-Known Member

Mar 24, 2010
    Video Editor and part time app designer...
    Staines, UK,
    Good after touch arcade fans...

I was wondering if anyone knew of any other 'audio only' based games much like Papa Sangre.

A game where the user plays using headphones and is involved in a game through sound more so than the visuals.

Cheers

Jon

2. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Yes, there has been a second one with a Space Theme, but I don´t recall its name. It was free but only available in some App Stores though. I remember wanting to try it, but it was not available in my country. :(

3. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    #3 draper3000, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Hey thanks for the reply.

Yeah your right, there is another game made by the same people as papa sangre, it's free to download but doesn't seem to work with ios5 . I guess it's the same error as papa sangre as they say they are fixing a bug for that at the moment.

Edit... its called 'The Nightjar'... and features Benedict Cumberbatch who plays Sherlock in the BBCs excellent Sherlock series...

Any more?

4. Red1

Red1 Moderator
    Staff Member Patreon Silver Patreon Gold Patreon Bronze

Nov 26, 2010
    Pre-occupied
  5. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    thanks...the podcast although great is'nt quite what I was thinking... :)

I just really liked the idea of Papa Sangre and its not currently available to play (or at least it was'nt) on iOS5.

6. tblrsa

tblrsa Well-Known Member

Nov 10, 2009
    Vienna
    Yep, seems like they removed it from the App Store until its fixed. I´ve almost finished it back then, so I want to have another go at it. It´s a very special experience. :)

I´d love that Space Themed Audio Game to be released worldwide too. Just charge for it and give it to us, there is no reason not to do that.

7. lord-sam

lord-sam Well-Known Member

Feb 25, 2009
    United Kingdom
    EA have a game called auditorium which is mostly audio, but you have to move a few on-screen objects to change the sound.

Also try the Inception app. (as in the Leonardo DiCaprio film). You wear headphones with a mic, and depending on ambient noises and time of day, the music changes accordingly. Pretty epic.

8. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    cheers...

Great...I'll go check out Inception tonight...

9. drelbs

drelbs Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2009
    #9 drelbs, Nov 1, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2011
    Slug Bugs and Aves both have visual aspects, but make good use of binaurial audio.

10. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    thanks...

thanks for the replies guys and gals..

I think I'll have a crack at making my own audio game... already started a bit of it and I've got a basic game function working on my phone. Controlling your character using the accelerometer and using stereo (not full 3d) sound to work out your position... fingers crossed it evolves into a decent game...

I'll put some progress videos and what not up on my site once it gets a bit further.

www.stormystudio.com

Thanks again for all the links and hints... any more very welcome.

11. draper3000

Mar 24, 2010
    Staines, UK,
    My idea has grown quite a lot since I started this thread

My idea has grown quite a lot since I started this thread
    I'm a good 75% of the way through finishing the game...

I've just setup a crowd funding thing...trying to raise the funds to finish development in exchange for a credit, your own custom sounds and unlock able ideas...varying depending on what is pledged. Not sure if it will work as the funding only counts if I achieve 100% but hopefully it will be do able.

http://bit.ly/wVdaQb

12. spiffyone

spiffyone Well-Known Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Since the topic is now resurrected, and since I haven't posted on toucharcade in a looooong time, might as well post about one of my old favorites from the early app store days: Soul Trapper.

Soul Trapper is an audio adventure game, and quite a good one. It was the first chapter of what was to be an ongoing series of games, but I don't think it sold well enough for the developer to make the rest. However, the first "episode" is completely standalone, telling a complete story.

Soul Trapper Ep. 1 Full Version

Soul Trapper Preview (Lite)