Any newish games similar to swordigo?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by onyx77, Apr 8, 2016.

1. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    I've searched up and down looking for games like swordingo. I've read up on the ones from threads from months ago. Any newish games that have the same type of gameplay?

Thanks in advance.

2. Dankrio

Dankrio Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jun 3, 2014
    Momoka?

Def has a Swordigo vibe.

3. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks. I'll check it out!

4. RHess00

RHess00 Well-Known Member
    Patreon Bronze

Apr 28, 2012
    Dust: An Elysian Tail has that side scrolling RPG feel to it. It's a little more action oriented though. It's an amazing game if you haven't tried it.

5. Mag

Mag Well-Known Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Sword of Xolan?
    Goblin Sword?

6. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    Dust: An Elysian Tale is definitely a must.

Next one i highly recommend, is Adventure Time Game Wizard. It's a fantastic metroidvania with fantastic controls and gameplay.

7. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thanks! I'll check them out. I've been debating on dust for a few weeks now. It's hard to tell from the videos but it seems more hack n slash than platformer.

8. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    It actually is more hack-n-slash, but it is a platformer, complete with a pseudo metroidvania area layouts.

9. kmacleod

kmacleod Well-Known Member
    Patreon Silver

Jul 1, 2009
    Artist / Writer / Designer
    California
    Momoka is a classic. It isn't identical in terms of gameplay, but there are similarities there. And the art style is VERY reminiscent.

10. fabell

fabell Well-Known Member

Feb 3, 2016
    The East New World had an update this month where they released another 20 or so levels (the last chapter). Given how large those chapters are (they are huge), that would be a meaty thing for you to sink your teeth into.

Adventures of Mana isn't exactly like Swordigo, but it works in much the same way (it's not a platformer but it plays the same way as a platformer). That came out and is pretty awesome.

If you've never played Star Wars: Rebels, that is an amazing platformer with superior production values.

Jetpack Fighter is a pretty cool ftp platformer. The levels go by pretty quick (but there are a lot of them); it feels more like Sonic the Hedgehog than it does Swordigo but it still calms the itch if you are looking for that kind of game (although it is a science-fiction theme).

Of course, if you've never played Aquaria, you absolutely should. It's iPad only, but it's a tremendous game made by a tremendous developer (the same guy who later on went and made Spelunky). It's a fairly old game, but it still stands far above other offerings being made even today in terms of production values and crafted care. It's very much Metroidvania, where instead of a bounty hunter in space or an ancient warrior, you are a mermaid who kills giant sea monsters with the power of your voice (borrowing a lot of Ecco the Dolphin and Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time).

11. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Thank you all for your replies! I've checked out all suggestions and have downloaded a few already!

12. onyx77

onyx77 Well-Known Member

Feb 4, 2010
    So would you suggest getting dust or east new world to purchase and play first?

13. Exact-Psience

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    If you are really looking for a metroidvania experience, Adventure Time Game Wizard is a lot more similar.

But if you are only choosing from these 2, both are good, but my pick would be Dust, no contest.