Is there a want/need for a deeper Tower Defence game on the iPad?

Discussion in 'General Game Discussion and Questions' started by Grungetastic, Jun 26, 2011.

?

Do you want a deeper Tower Defence game?

1. Yes

5 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  3. Depends on the new features/mechanics

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Not TOO deep. We want simple.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. More/Bigger everything!

1 vote(s)
    14.3%
  1. Grungetastic

Grungetastic New Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Hi Guys!

I am beginning work on a new Tower Defence / Strategy Game.

I have been getting bored with the current selection of TD games...

So I thought I'd take it into my own hands!

I have a few little nuggets in mind but right now I dont want to give to much away.

So I'll ask a few little questions:

Do you want more from your Tower Defence games?
    Do you want better story (but NOT at the expence of gameplay or vice versa)?
    Do you want more research? More Towers? Bigger maps?

Feel free to comment bellow.

I'd love to hear what you guys feel is missing!
    But most of all tell me what you want to PLAY. What makes YOUR game.

2. Charybdis

Charybdis Well-Known Member

Apr 2, 2011
    Programmer
    Kyoto, Japan
    I love TD games.
    I DON'T like open field ones, they just feel like a chore/grind.
    I DO love it when upgrading is part of the strategy. Same goes for interest on remaining resources.
    Most of all, I think it is about balance. I feel that for some games, there is only one single way to play: the developers way. I like it when I can win the level in different ways.
    I think the best TD game was one of the very originals here. It was well balanced and involved a lot of strategy. I have't seen anything since then that has really added anything.
    Personally, I find the more sophisticated games like sentinal, epic, and the lord of the rings one less enjoyable than the silly, cartoony ones like sango and the creeps.
    Just my 2 yen.

3. undeadcow

undeadcow Well-Known Member

Dec 4, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I think the tower defense genre at large needs a reboot. It's tired for there to be game after game with the exact same design/setup.

- Story is not as important as gameplay.
    - Avoid overplayed medieval, sci-fi, generic neon shape, or cutesy monster themes.
    + More upgrades is good.
    + More enemy diversity the better (maybe foes that take different paths i.e. flight versus land).
    + Special abilities/magic attacks are good (radials or wide space boster attacks).
    + Collectable upgrades.
    + Taking the same tower defense material but making it turn based might have more appeal (especially for open field).
    + Instead of only one base consider adding multiple bases to defend (more strategy, right?).

4. Grungetastic

Grungetastic New Member

Jun 26, 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions guys!

Charybdis, What exactly about open field don't you like?

What if it was open field but with objectives? (Defend this, destroy that etc)

"Avoid overplayed medieval, sci-fi, generic neon shape, or cutesy monster themes. "

Would this bother you overly if the gameplay was sufficiently interesting?

5. MidianGTX

MidianGTX Well-Known Member

Jun 16, 2009
    I'm sure you're aiming to deliver something unique and really make it your own, but following Defender Chronicles' lead would do it for me. Best TD I've ever played.