Help with Facebook Connect

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by cramzy, Jul 16, 2009.

1. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I am trying to add facebook connectivity from our app 18 000 COOL JOKES.
    The thing is that from the sources that FB provided, I only see a way to do this by using their UI. What I want to do is to be able to to ask the user for his e-mail and password from my UI (using UITextField), and then quietly send a message in his facebook wall without showing the user any unneeded dialogs etc..

Any idea how to do that?

Thanks!

Cheers,
    ILIYA

2. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

It's part of the Facebook Connect guidelines that you use their buttons and UI, so even if it is possible to get around it Facebook would not allow it.

The point of showing Facebook's own UI is that the user should trust it. Users may be cautious about entering their username and password for Facebook into your own UI because then you could be storing it before sending it on to Facebook.

3. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hey,

Thanks for the info.
    Does that also mean that the user will be asked to enter his email/pass each time he wants to share one of the jokes over facebook?
    Is there ANYTHING I can do to make it easier on the users? At least save the e-mail/pass locally so they don't need to re-enter them...?

Cheeers,
    ILIYA

4. monteboyd

monteboyd Well-Known Member

According to the Logging in section of the documentation the user will only have to log in and allow your app once and then it is stored in your applications preferences.

Actually, re-reading the docs a bit above that it says:

"This button will automatically display the login dialog when the user touches it. You can create the login dialog yourself if you don't want to use a standard button:"

So maybe you can create your own login dialog?

5. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

Hm...interesting.
    I will dig into this later this evening. When I find the solution, I'll post here.

Meanwhile, if anybody knows it- please, save me the misery of finding it on my own :D

Cheers,
    ILIYA

6. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

I think it won't be possible to do after all :(
    I will stick with the facebook login screen.

Cheers,
    ILIYA

7. cramzy

cramzy Well-Known Member

How do I set up the correct include path for the FB headers??? In all tutorials it just says to set it up...but whatever path I type, it never works...

Looking at the FB example proj doesn't make any sense as well :(

HELP?!?