Captain America: The Winter Soldier (by Gameloft)

Discussion in 'Upcoming iOS Games' started by TheMerc, Feb 4, 2014.

1. TheMerc

TheMerc Well-Known Member

Jul 11, 2012
    #1 TheMerc, Feb 4, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
    http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=93985

YouTube: video

It looks interesting. Visually the cell-shading and the "POW", "BLAM" visual effects convey the feel of a comic book. It looks to be more in the vein of something like Spider-Man Total Mayhem than Thor The Dark World or Iron Man 3.
    The trailer doesn't show much, but the fact that it mentions team-based missions suggests that characters like The Falcon or Black Widow might be making an appearance.

2. Lerisbo1192

Lerisbo1192 Well-Known Member

Nov 26, 2012
    hueco mundo
  3. Based Xatu

Based Xatu Well-Known Member

Aug 27, 2013
    Huh? It looks exactly like Thor....

4. TheMerc

Jul 11, 2012
    Gameplay-wise yes, it does look like this game draws heavily from the gameplay style present in Thor The Dark World. Visually, however, they are very different: this game not only features cel-shaded graphics (not only on the enemy models but also on the environment), it also has visual cues of sound effects (the "POW" and "FWOOM" cues made famous by the 60's Batman TV show). Thor TDW, on the other hand, had none of these (which isn't to say it was a bad-looking game - on the contrary - but, in my opinion, the Captain America game is more resembling of a comic book than his Avenger counterpart's game).

5. Exact-Psience

Exact-Psience Well-Known Member

Jan 12, 2012
    The Work-At-Home Guy
    Philippines
    True, but art style has nothing to do with the gameplay which is as you and Xatu said, is somehow just a reskin of Thor Dark World.

No surprise really, since this is from Gameloft. But i guess even if im a huge CapAm fan, i am going to skip this unless the general concensus is a go.

To be honest, i actually prefer the first CapAm game's Mirror's Edge formula over this one.

6. TheMerc

Jul 11, 2012
    Not at all, I was just commenting on the visual aspect of this game.

Even though I really liked the Sentinel of Liberty game, I've got to admit that, after finishing it, I never really felt the need to play it again. On the other hand, I've been enjoying Thor TDW even after finishing the story mode (collecting stars and unlocking allies is weirdly addictive), so I'm actually quite looking forward to this game (if GL manage to fine-tune the free-to-play dynamics of TDW in this game, it'd be even better). Different strokes for different folks, right :) ?

7. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Gameloft' games are getting weak and weaker why? i think they already lost some studios or members,i remember Gameloft was so big in various games for everyone but they gave their soul to the past...

sometimes i read about the power of smartphone games in the future on news but let be honest the industry is dead

Golden years of iOS games were between 2010 and 2012

8. Anonomation

Anonomation 👮 Spam Police 🚓

It's funny, I expected gameloft Ryan to be leading the thread.

9. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #9 Rip73, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
    You have to be kidding, right?

Almost 200 million downloads (as of January updated info) for Minion Rush.
    Order and Chaos has had 18 updates, that's what you call supporting a game.
    Asphalt 8 the highest rated reviewed iPhone and iPad game of 2013.
    GT Racing 2, a true free to play racer that doesn't cripple you with iaps or repair timers like its competition.
    MC5 probably the most anticipated game of the year.
    Consistently updating their current range of games, adding content and fixing bugs, Asphalt 8 and Gangstar Vegas being appropriate examples of that.
    Substantially stronger community interaction.
    Actually taking player feedback on board and rebalance of games, Iron Man 3 representing best recent example of that.
    180 million people worldwide played a gameloft game in January.

They didn't lose people either, they have multiple studios around the world with large teams working on a range of games that you haven't even heard about yet.

And that's just some examples. I could mention twenty more.

Gameloft has far from lost its way.
    It's a better company now than it ever was and is far more focused in putting out excellent games and supporting them long term rather than just releasing, forgetting and on to the next.

They are doing everything better now.

10. yUlek

yUlek Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    Yeah, with their pay2win system in every game, repetitive hack'n'slashes and same voice acting for MC5 they are doing great. Gameloft is focused on adding more and more effects on their games but not on polishing gameplay itself. From MC3 its almost the same game, batman had a great potential but it became repetitive as hell, and driving was just pure joke. Gangstar is just Gangstar, sh**ty as always. Sadly, they are still the biggest mobile games company, I hope that EA will make them try harder at doing mobile games.

They are doing great at making money, not games.

11. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #11 Rip73, Feb 5, 2014
    Now that is funny.
    Two examples. Dungeon Keeper and Real Racing 3.
    If you're going to make a counter pay2win point, bringing EA into it as an example of doing better is not the greatest idea.

And if they cant make games, how come Asphalt 8 is the highest rated game (QI index) of last year, Dominion Rush one of the most downloaded games ever, Blitz Brigade (despite its early pay 2 win system that is much more balanced now) one of their most played multiplayer games, substantial rebalancing of Iron Man 3 and the list could go on.
    They even delayed MC5 to make it better, something they would never have done before and something that is actually a really big deal and will be reflected once its released.
    By the way using the voices of MC5 is a bad example as well. You are only aware of a pre alpha build with placeholders that was very much an extremely early build and will bear only a passing resemblance to the final product.

Gameloft is focused on adding effects, no doubt there, but to say it is their only focus is completely inaccurate and should be clear to anyone who has seen the changes in their games over the recent year and a half in comparison to their previous stuff.

Gameplay and polish is equally as high up their list of priorities now and why people continue to berate them when they are in reality the premier developer for iOS is beyond me.

Communicating with them now in comparison to two years ago and its like a completely new company with a new focus and direction and that focus and direction is to make an excellent game and to support and improve it.

They may be very good at making money but they know now that in order to make the money, the product has to be good. If the product is good and supported well, the money will follow and making good games is the only thing the development teams think about and let management worry about the rest.

12. italodance

italodance Well-Known Member

Aug 19, 2009
    electrical
    Tehran-Iran
    Behhh i didn't talk about their money and buyers

im talking about same shit games,same shit engines...where are their unreal engine games that they already promised us before?

do you think same engine with new colors are games? they are shit and poor peolpe have no choice for getting their shits

just back to 2010-2012 and you will see their great titles such as

Silent Ops
    backstab
    eternal legacy
    shadow guardian
    splinter cell conviction
    hero of sparta
    zombie infection
    9mm

yes tell me where? its funny to get same shit engine,same as old one

all their new games are exactly same as each other

13. yUlek

yUlek Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    I've bringed EA as an example for good quality, not pay2win system, so its not funny at all. Please compare RR3 and GT Racing 2 in terms of graphics and gameplay and choose which is better.

I am not talking about games like minion rush, Iron Man 3 - they are a lot easier to make and a lot easier to succeed. I am talking about "AAA mobile games".

Blitz brigade is a good game, I have no complains about it.

For MC5 let's hope that they'll change voice acting, but if game will be repetitive or voice acting will be the same, I will be the first one to point you that out.

14. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #14 Rip73, Feb 5, 2014
    Cut. Off topic of thread title.
    But its worth noting that using "shit" repeatedly in a post doesn't accentuate ones point, it merely demonstrates the lack of considered opinion put into it.

15. yUlek

yUlek Well-Known Member

Mar 7, 2012
    It's quite funny that you must have the last word.

16. JBRUU

JBRUU Well-Known Member

May 9, 2012
    USA
    Yes, off topic but I just can't let this absurd list go unchallenged.

Ha, you've got to be kidding. Splinter Cell? Shadow Guardian? Silent Ops? Splinter Cell was a pathetic rehash of the console title with laughable, I mean LAUGHABLE AI and god-awful aiming. Shadow Guardian? A tech demo in every possible sense, linear and as hell and as formulaic and boring as they come. And.......Silent Ops? Good god. Next to Silent Ops, the rest of these look like AAA GotY runner-ups. I'm guessing you've played less than half the games on that list. The only truly excellent titles there are Hero of Sparta and, for its time, Zombie Infection.

17. Rip73

Rip73 Well-Known Member

Nov 18, 2011
    #17 Rip73, Feb 6, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    Nope, that again would simply be you're own inaccurate interpretation and reflect you're own opinion and desire rather than my own.
    I merely consider it polite to reply to a post that quotes me and in the case you mention, the reply was below my acceptable level, so I considered better of it and decided to not reply at all and merely make the point that expletives don't help any point and merely lowers the tone of any conversation or discussion and makes continued participation in said discussion a fruitless exercise.

And no, that's not having the last word either, it's merely pointing out that I prefer a civil and dignified conversation to an expletive riddled argument.

18. batmania15

batmania15 Well-Known Member

Apr 6, 2013
    I personally like what I see so far and like gameloft.

19. Gameloft_Ryan

Gameloft_Ryan Well-Known Member

Jul 16, 2013
    Community Manager
    San Francisco
    This game won't be freemium, actually. :p

I meant to hop in sooner but the past few days have been really, really busy for me! Glad to be here now though!

I haven't had a chance to play a build yet but I'm working on trying to get one soon, hopefully.

20. Bool Zero

Bool Zero Well-Known Member

Dec 14, 2010
    Not freemium means you have a purchase from me! I honestly wouldn't bother downloading it if it were free... No offense, I'd just rather have a game with natural impedance's and one that promotes gameplay and skill over overcoming a meta system of constantly promoted consumable IAP...