Anyone else thinking of porting to Mac now?

Discussion in 'Public Game Developers Forum' started by Golden Hammer, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Golden Hammer

Golden Hammer Well-Known Member

Dec 1, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Boston
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/10/20/app-store-for-os-x-unveiled/

Time to dust of the mac version of my engine I suppose. Different/unknown market, different input mechanics, more power available. Still seems easier than the Android port, and way easier than a windows phone port.

Are you going to make some mac games now, or just continue on in handheld land? I figure I don't need to make a lot of money off porting to justify the couple weeks of effort.

2. robotmechanic

robotmechanic Active Member

Oct 1, 2010
    Character Rigger
    Tokyo, Japan
    Personally, it seems promising, but for me, it comes down to whether it is cost effective versus taking the time to put it on a different platform that might be more lucrative.

It sure would be nice to have less limitations on the game because of hardware limitations though. ;)

3. minyx

minyx Well-Known Member

Oct 15, 2010
    I'm glad cocos 2d has a mac version now :)

But before porting my iPhone games to the Mac I first have to get my Mac apps into the store. ;)

4. Golden Hammer

Dec 1, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Boston
    Sorry to necro this thread a little bit, but I'm back with my experiences on the port. I spent a very long week porting Big Mountain Snowboarding to OSX, got it about 90% of the way there, and put it aside until Apple releases some more news on details.

I posted a guide for the bulk of the work required. Cocoa is close enough to Cocoa Touch and ES1 is close enough to a direct subset of OpenGL that it's a pretty easy port to do.

Porting from iPhone to OSX

Also this vid from Illusion Labs is worth checking out. TouchGrind using the multitouch capabilities on a Mac: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FsfROlawZoQ

5. Moonjump

Moonjump Well-Known Member

May 17, 2010
    Game designer
    Lincoln, UK
    I am considering porting my games for the Mac App Store, but worry about the potential for piracy. Users don't have to jailbreak a device to do it.

There is a game I am returning to after completing my current project. I was planning on making it free, with adverts making the money. I don't know if it is possible on the Mac. Are there equivalents to iAd, Admob, Mobclix, etc. for imbedded ads?

6. Golden Hammer

Dec 1, 2009
    Indie Game Developer
    Boston
    Apple has some sort of copy protection scheme set up that's behind the $99 wall. You check the app store receipt in the .app against the accounts registered for the computer. I guess we'll find out how well it works.

It doesn't look like admob has a mac version yet. I'd like to know how to include ads also.